The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry to Penguins
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick
6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s what that was all about then.

Feel like we missed the boat on getting Marino for cheap.

Sure looks like it… although it could also be a case of the current Pens management and past management thinking what he brings is not enough for a 4.25(?) mil contract.  Assuming our management weren’t asleep at the wheel.

People on the outside sure think he’s a good pickup. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Simply not good enough. 

No cap room, lacking a 3C, cost controlled young defensive RHD. 

Love Mikheyev and Kuzmenko signings, but we’ve not addressed our problems at all. 

Especially when you consider JR said it was very difficult to acquire a RHD.

Seems like the Devils just did it at a pretty reasonable price.

I like the the Mikayev signing but if you asked me would I rather spend 5 mil on a forward or on a RHD to play with Hughes the answer is pretty obvious.

Unless a trade is coming down the pipe it kind of points to management mismanaging the little cap we had. Shouldn’t have been prioritizing forwards.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So far this management group hasn't done anything special.

I would argue that landing Kuzmenko was a pretty good feather in management's cap. Other than that though, not much. Moving Hamonic for a 3rd and then flipping the 3rd for Dermott, the (slight) overpayment for Mikheyev, signing Lazar and some depth guys. Resigning Brock to a meh contract. 

AmI missing anything?

Hextall and their management/ownership group are in win-now mode, I'd expect these types of moves and several of them as their window is only going to be open so long.

In my view,  for us, it's not the quantity of moves, it's the quality.   All it'll take is the right opportunity to present itself.