The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Smith was a throw in.  

Nope.

Good young player just figuring out the league. Will bring them cheaper value than Marino.

The 3rd was the throw in.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Part of the problem with the Canucks' lack of prospect depth is that they have little ammunition to include any in trades without further depleting the pool.  I expect that a similar deal from the Canucks would have been Rathbone and a pick for Marino, but when you factor in cap problems, we just weren't in a position to give PIT what they wanted.  Maybe there was talk with PIT about Miller but that would require figuring out the movement of even more pieces.  At any rate, PIT seems to have been more interested in Petry.

We could still see a trade made by the Canucks in the next few weeks but I'm preparing myself to see the team roll into camp with pretty much the same d-core.  I'm not expecting much return from a Miller trade, and I'm instead expecting the team to try and make some cap space by shipping out a forward or to which MIGHT bring in some help on D.  Management is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to make a major improvement to this D core.

Sigh.  I am not a Benning hater but I do wonder about what things would be like if the Canucks had just tanked last season and let all the bad contracts expire this summer.  They would have had a lot of cap flexibility.

Without re-hashing the Benning era, current management had enough assets + cap space to acquire Marino if they don’t sign Mikheyev.  

They’ve also reportedly decided it’s better to hang on to Myers and won’t give up picks to move out contracts.  Some of that I agree with, some of it not as much but if they really wanted Marino I don’t see why Pitt wouldn’t have preferred to move him out of conference. 

For all we know, if Benning doesn’t make the OEL deal current management just signs Miller to a monster deal or chases Klingberg or Copp.  They don’t seem interested in selling for the mid/long future. 

It’s been a strange start to their tenure here.  They seem hesitant to make any mistakes and confident in most of the pieces already on the team.  Really patient with what we have and comfortable not shaking things up too much. I’m willing to see where it all goes but for all their talk of “lots of work to be done” they aren’t in much of a hurry to do anything. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Serious PTSD around here.... Almost all of yah turning into chicken littles.  As JR stated, no point of impatience until td (when it comes to JT).  Don't make a trade just to make a trade.  I have no reason to doubt this management group, still to early to judge.  I have faith in their plan... They actually have one.  Let's wait and see if they can execute.

What’s their plan though?  Are they creating cap space as they said was their plan?  Are they reshaping our D as they said was their plan?  It sure appears very similar to what Benning tried, just these new management people aren’t dough heads.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They got Ty Smith in the deal who a lot of people on here have been clamouring for forever.

Hes a 22 year old cost controlled player with a lot of upside. 

Petry is a veteran with a ton of experience that gives them the best chance to win now. Plus they still have a young former 1st round pick D on top of that. The deal makes a lot of sense for them.

Ty Smith is coming off a terrible season. He'll be competing for 6D on Pens.  Most likely a 7D. He's a one dimensional offense first Dman who can't play D. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ty Smith is coming off a terrible season. He'll be competing for 6D on Pens.  Most likely a 7D. He's a one dimensional offense first Dman who can't play D. 

He’s 22 and played on a team that finished second to last in the league…

Its not what he brings now they don’t need him to be a top player now. It’s the value he will bring on a cheap contract with continued development.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope.

Good young player just figuring out the league. Will bring them cheaper value than Marino.

The 3rd was the throw in.

The guy was one if the worst players on a bottom feeder team.. what are you taking about..  he had a horrible season with NJD. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He'll likely be in the AHL - still waiver free.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The guy was one if the worst players on a bottom feeder team.. what are you taking about..  he had a horrible season with NJD. 

Who didn’t have a horrible season on New Jersey other than a few players? :lol:

What part of he’s 22 don’t you understand? He also put up 20 points.

That would be like criticizing Rathbone next season if he doesn’t put up 40 points and play top 4 minutes…

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s their plan though?  Are they creating cap space as they said was their plan?  Are they reshaping our D as they said was their plan?  It sure appears very similar to what Benning tried, just these new management people aren’t dough heads.  

No one wants Myers without a sweetener.  OEL not waiving his NMC.  Poolman lol.  Their obviously not very much options.  They have to wait out Myers deal I think, at least until this season quarter mark or the trade deadline.  They dont seem to want to eat cap given we close to getting out from the ones we already have.  If they do try and upgrade the defense, its a forward for d swap with same/similar cap numbers.  Maybe they can get cap relief through less term i.e. swap a 4 year term for a 2-3 year term player.

Edited by amplified0ne

1 minute ago, mll said:

He'll likely be in the AHL - still waiver free.

I don't know what Deniro is smoking. Lol.. 

Ty Smith was the worst player in the worst team in NHL. 

He'll be competing for a spot in the lineup and be lucky to take 7D spot.

I agree.  If I was a betting man AHL.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Who didn’t have a horrible season on New Jersey other than a few players? :lol:

What part of he’s 22 don’t you understand? He also put up 20 points.

That would be like criticizing Rathbone next season if he doesn’t put up 40 points and play top 4 minutes…

Dude. The guy is a Dman and he can't spell defense. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Without re-hashing the Benning era, current management had enough assets + cap space to acquire Marino if they don’t sign Mikheyev.  

They’ve also reportedly decided it’s better to hang on to Myers and won’t give up picks to move out contracts.  Some of that I agree with, some of it not as much but if they really wanted Marino I don’t see why Pitt wouldn’t have preferred to move him out of conference. 

For all we know, if Benning doesn’t make the OEL deal current management just signs Miller to a monster deal or chases Klingberg or Copp.  They don’t seem interested in selling for the mid/long future. 

It’s been a strange start to their tenure here.  They seem hesitant to make any mistakes and confident in most of the pieces already on the team.  Really patient with what we have and comfortable not shaking things up too much. I’m willing to see where it all goes but for all their talk of “lots of work to be done” they aren’t in much of a hurry to do anything. 

Marino was a cap dump. We don't need assets to aquire him. This management didn't want Marino.

JR signed him to a bad contract in PIT. He wasn't going to double up his mistake by bringing that bad contract to his new team..

He had a great rookie season. But it's been all downhill since then. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't know what Deniro is smoking. Lol.. 

Ty Smith was the worst player in the worst team in NHL. 

He'll be competing for a spot in the lineup and be lucky to take 7D spot.

I agree.  If I was a betting man AHL.

Even if you're right, I can guarantee you that Pittsburgh does not see it this way.  They'll see a young fairly recent highly picked D who has managed to hold down an NHL job for two seasons. 

Yes he played poorly last year and no it might not work out well for the Pens.  I can guarantee you that they value the asset however.

• Cheers 3

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Marino was a cap dump. We don't need assets to aquire him. This management didn't want Marino.

JR signed him to a bad contract in PIT. He wasn't going to double up his mistake by bringing that bad contract to his new team..

He had a great rookie season. But it's been all downhill since then. 

Both Friedman and Dhaliwal were saying that Vancouver were targeting Marino.

The Canucks didn't have the cap space to make that move.

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Even if you're right, I can guarantee you that Pittsburgh does not see it this way.  They'll see a young fairly recent highly picked D who has managed to hold down an NHL job for two seasons. 

Yes he played poorly last year and no it might not work out well for the Pens.  I can guarantee you that they value the asset however.

Bingo.

Calling a 22 year old recent first round pick who’s been in the NHL for two seasons a cap dump and then asking what I’m smoking? :lol:

Did he ever stop to think that the Devils were just a poorly constructed team with poor coaching? Maybe it was less to do with his ability and more to do with the team sucking…

• Cheers 2

Just now, Baratheon said:

How can you guarantee what Burke and Hextal are thinking. D

I'd love to read your correspondence With them.. 

He's a throw in who can go to AHL.  Pens can hope he turns out to be a player but right now no one thinks of him as a valuable asset..

This trade was essentially Marino for a 3rd. 

NJD had to move a 1st round mistake. 

He's what is called a 1st round bust..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

How can you guarantee what Burke and Hextal are thinking. D

I'd love to read your correspondence With them.. 

He's a throw in who can go to AHL.  Pens can hope he turns out to be a player but right now no one thinks of him as a valuable asset..

This trade was essentially Marino for a 3rd. 

NJD had to move a 1st round mistake. 

He's what is called a 1st round bust..

Pardon me for using such strong language.  Let me rephrase.  

Based on everything that we generally hear about young defensemen from managers around the league I can ALMOST guarantee that they don't see it the way that you do. 

• Cheers 1