The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Both Friedman and Dhaliwal were saying that Vancouver were targeting Marino.

The Canucks didn't have the cap space to make that move.

Ya if Pens took a cap dump back ofcourse you take a RHD cap dump from them..  Marino would have been a regular on our RD but not the answer to our D issues.

Poolman for Marino would be OK. 2.5 out 4.4 in. But Pens are trying to create cap space just as Canucks are. Marino was a pure cap dump and Pens couldn't take salary back.

Ty Smith is AHL bound and Pens get a 3rd

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya if Pens took a cap dump back ofcourse you take a RHD cap dump from them..  Marino would have been a regular on our RD but not the answer to our D issues.

Poolman for Marino would be OK. 2.5 out 4.4 in. But Pens are trying to create cap space just as Canucks are. Marino was a pure cap dump and Pens couldn't take salary back.

Ty Smith will be on their roster.

As for Marino being a cap dump that’s just not accurate.

This was about upgrading their roster in the short term which they did.

Thats like saying Ehrhoff was nothing more than a cap dump. How’d that turn out for us again?

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

They were targeting him earlier in the year - those rumours surfaced around the TDL with Marino as target to improve the D-corps.

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Pardon me for using such strong language.  Let me rephrase.  

Based on everything that we generally hear about young defensemen from managers around the league I can ALMOST guarantee that they don't see it the way that you do. 

Ty Smith can't play defense. He's part of the trade because he'll be in the minors, he's waiver exempt and no cap towards Pens..

Pens get a 3rd for Marino plus cap space to trade for Petry and upgrade the position. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

They were targeting him earlier in the year - those rumours surfaced around the TDL with Marino as target to improve the D-corps.

Sure. But targeting doesn't explain what they were willing to trade for him.. were they willing to take him as a pens cap dump and sending a 2nd or a 3rd the other way? Or send a cap dump back to even out the trade?

Because if they wanted him and offered a 2nd it would have been a very easy trade to make.. he went for a 3rd..

Were they targeting him by offering Rathbone and a 1st? Or were they targeting him by offerig cap dumps like poolman and Dicks going the other way..

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Part of the problem with the Canucks' lack of prospect depth is that they have little ammunition to include any in trades without further depleting the pool.  I expect that a similar deal from the Canucks would have been Rathbone and a pick for Marino, but when you factor in cap problems, we just weren't in a position to give PIT what they wanted.  Maybe there was talk with PIT about Miller but that would require figuring out the movement of even more pieces.  At any rate, PIT seems to have been more interested in Petry.

We could still see a trade made by the Canucks in the next few weeks but I'm preparing myself to see the team roll into camp with pretty much the same d-core.  I'm not expecting much return from a Miller trade, and I'm instead expecting the team to try and make some cap space by shipping out a forward or to which MIGHT bring in some help on D.  Management is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to make a major improvement to this D core.

Sigh.  I am not a Benning hater but I do wonder about what things would be like if the Canucks had just tanked last season and let all the bad contracts expire this summer.  They would have had a lot of cap flexibility.

On what planet is Rathbone worth even close to Ty Smith? Rathbone hasn’t even proved he can play at the NHL level. Smith finished ahead of Hoglander in Calder voting.

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ty Smith can't play defense. He's part of the trade because he'll be in the minors, he's waiver exempt and no cap towards Pens..

Pens get a 3rd for Marino plus cap space to trade for Petry and upgrade the position. 

For the sake of argument, who do you see on the Pens roster if Smith is in the minors?  Their left side would be Dumoulin, Pettersson and then what?

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sure. But targeting doesn't explain what they were willing to trade for him.. were they willing to take him as a pens cap dump and sending a 2nd or a 3rd the other way? Or send a cap dump back to even out the trade?

Because if they wanted him and offered a 2nd it would have been a very easy trade to make.. he went for a 3rd..

Were they targeting him by offering Rathbone and a 1st? Or were they targeting him by offerig cap dumps like poolman and Dicks going the other way..

They didn't have the cap space to make the trade.  

Rutherford confirmed that it would take futures to dump cap which they aren't willing to do.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

For the sake of argument, who do you see on the Pens roster if Smith is in the minors?  Their left side would be Dumoulin, Pettersson and then what?

They just signed Rutta in free agency to a 3x 2.75M contract.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

I think they're going to really come to regret effectively swapping out Romanov for Matheson. 

Dach is an interesting experiment tho. We'll see if it was worth the cost. 

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Thats crazy how most teams struggle to have enough RD but Pens have an abundance of them. 

Yan Rutta will likely play of hand. Or maybe another trade might be in the future. 

Too many RD is a great problem to have and I wish Canucks had that problem.  

Letang Dumoulin 

Pettersson Petry 

Rutta (RH) Ruhwedel

Rutta likely  plays LD. Ty Smith will be fighting with Friedman for 7D spot. Most likely on a team like Pens who are trying to make noise in the playoffs he'll be in minors. His horrible defensive game just won't be tolerated on a veteran team like Pens..he'll get a year in AHL to try to learn to learn to pkay D with getting a few games as injury callup.

7D job is just to hold the fort and not make big mistakes allowing goals against. That is Smiths biggest problem. He makes big mistakes and the puck ends up in his net. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Thats crazy how most teams struggle to have enough RD but Pens have an abundance of them. 

Yan Rutta will likely play of hand. Or maybe another trade might be in the future. 

Too many RD is a great problem to have and I wish Canucks had that problem.  

Letang Dumoulin 

Pettersson Petry 

Rutta (RH) Ruhwedel

Rutta likely  plays LD. Ty Smith will be fighting with Friedman for 7D spot. Most likely on a team like Pens who are trying to make noise in the playoffs he'll be in minors. His horrible defensive game just won't be tolerated on a veteran team like Pens..he'll get a year in AHL to try to learn to learn to pkay D with getting a few games as injury callup.

7D job is just to hold the fort and not make big mistakes allowing goals against. That is Smiths biggest problem. He makes big mistakes and the puck ends up in his net. 

Well argued but I'm not buying it.  Ty Smith was on the NHL All-Rookie Team.  I can't see a sophomore slump devaluing him to the point where Pittsburgh shuffles around their D.  All in the name of keeping 32 year old Chad Ruhwedel and Mark Friedman in the lineup? 

I suppose it's technically possible but I think it's a lot more likely that they value the asset that they traded for lol.

• Cheers 1

It’s funny how some fans were like: Alvin!!! Rutherford… they are going to make the team so much better! They are so knowledgeable! Castonguay, this and that… as if this is the best management group ever. Lol I don’t know how any one can simply claim that this new regime won’t make bad decisions. IMO, the Brock and Mikehyev contracts were mistakes.