The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry, Ryan Poehling to Penguins for Mike Matheson, 2023 4th-round pick

On 7/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, Harold Drunken said:

We are 4 days into free agency. have some patience. Benning left them with very few prospects and no cap room what exactly are you expecting? It's thier first off season and you're roasting them about 4 days worth of work. They've re signed Boeser on a great deal, brought in the NHLs fastest player and solidified our 4th line. They also signed the most sought after European free agent in Kuzmenko with lots of other interest in the league. To say they haven't done anything special is silly. Anything else will come from trades which they have all summer to do.

Man this is such a fickle and unreasonable fan base sometimes damned if you do, damned if you don't. Why don't you step in and show them how it's done lol

You're joking right?

"On January 26, 2022, Allvin was announced as the 12th General Manager in Canucks history..."

That's almost half a year ago. 

They've re-signed Boeser.  It's not a GREAT deal... it's an agreed upon deal that benefits both parties at the moment.

Who is this 'NHL's fastest player' that you speak of? 

Solidified our 4th line?  How?  By bringing in Lazar?  He's the answer to the 4th line situation?  I'd argue our 4th line is in most need of work right now.  Who's gonna be on that line?  Is it really an improvement so far on the Motte-Lamikko-Highmore trio from last year?

Kuzmenko is their prized acquisition so far.  That isn't saying much given we haven't seen him play a single game in the NHL yet.  He could turn into a bottom 6 player or even go back to the KHL like several of these guys do.  Until Kuzmenko cements himself as a top 6 forward, this isn't a huge win yet.

So again, what else can you speak of for 6 months of work as GM of the Canucks?

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:03 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Didn’t JR make a statement after that the rumors came from the media and not from management’s actions? 

so if that’s correct, maybe they were never in on Marino. 

I bet Dhaliwal has an account either here or on some other Canuck forum, reads what people want, and sais what we want to hear to get clicks. Don’t put it past him. 

Lol, not sure what RHD this management has their eyes on.  I have a feeling they're just gonna ask Bruce to move Hughes to the RHD position and call it a day.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You're joking right?

"On January 26, 2022, Allvin was announced as the 12th General Manager in Canucks history..."

They've re-signed Boeser.  It's not a GREAT deal... it's an agreed upon deal that benefits both parties at the moment.

Solidified our 4th line?  How?  By bringing in Lazar?  He's the answer to the 4th line situation?  I'd argue our 4th line is in most need of work right now.  Who's gonna be on that line?  Is it really an improvement so far on the Motte-Lamikko-Highmore trio from last year?

Kuzmenko is their prized acquisition so far.  That isn't saying much given we haven't seen him play a single game in the NHL yet.  He could turn into a bottom 6 player or even go back to the KHL like several of these guys do.  Until Kuzmenko cements himself as a top 6 forward, this isn't a huge win yet.

Its Always Sunny Reaction GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You're joking right?

So, did you want then to make major changes while the team was pushing for a playoff spot in the second half? You would have complained about that too I imagine.

Did you ever think it takes time to watch and assess a team before making major changes while having zero cap flexibility? They were supposed to completely rebuild and re-tool, find identity and change culture in 6 months? Lol - are you joking? Not to mention completely gutting and restructuring the player development dept. Scouting dept, analytics dept and prepare for their first draft?  To say they've done nothing or "not enough" is shockingly ignorant.

Take a look at the bigger picture for second. 

This team has no cap room with multiple unwanted contracts, give your head a shake, this isn't EA NHL 21.

It likely took them months to land Kuzmenko as well, that's just not a simple phone call. 

Mikheyev is widely regarded as one of the fastest, if not the fastest player in the league arguably. Went stride for stride with McDavid, who is considered the fastest. I see what you're doing, but you're missing the ball. I said they solidified the 4th line, Lazar a proven 4th line right shot center who can play RW. A more veteran, proven player than a Lammikko or Highmore so yes, it has indeed solidified the 4th line, you're about he only person who disagrees with that. Not only that, adding more players has pushed some other players down, further solidifying our 4th line. Highmore worked hard, but he's a fringe NHL'er at best.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

So, did you want then to make major changes while the team was pushing for a playoff spot in the second half? You would have complained about that too I imagine.

Did you ever think it takes time to watch and assess a team before making major changes while having zero cap room? They were supposed to completely rebuild and re-tool, find identity and change culture in 6 months? Lol - are you joking? Not to mention completely gutting and restructuring the player development dept. Scouting dept, analytics dept. To say they've done nothing is shockingly ignorant.

It likely took them months to land Kuzmenko as well, that's just not a simple phone call. 

Mikheyev is widely regarded as one of the fastest, if not the fastest player in the league. Went stride for stride with McDavid, who is considered the fastest. I see what you're doing, but you're missing the ball. I said they solidified the 4th line, Lazar a proven 4th line right shot center who can play RW. A more veteran, proven player than a Lammikko or Highmore so yes, it has indeed solidified the 4th line, you're about he only person who disagrees with that. 

Take off your homer glasses.

If Benning did what PA/JR have done so far, you and many others would be ripping his head off.

This management team has done nothing special.  They talked about freeing cap space and unloaded Hamonic only to add Dermott shortly thereafter.  They freed a whopping $1.5M.

Then they go and spend $1M of it on Lazar.  So really, freed up nothing.

Then they spend another $4.75M on Mikheyev.  Where have we freed up cap space?

PA/JR have said the following:

Free cap space - Nope, they haven't done anything of that nature YET.  In fact, they've spent more cap space than they've saved so far.

Fix defence situation - Nope.  Unless you count Dermott as a fix.  Dermott/Rathbone could have been packaged for Marino, but looks like that ship may have sailed.

Get bigger and faster - Mikheyev is the answer to that I guess?  I'm sure 2 of Garland, Hoglander, and Kuzmenko will get moved eh?  Lazar is 6' 194lbs.  Lamikko was 6'2" 192lbs.  Lazar is a slug compared to even Lamikko.

Anyways, you keep those homer glasses on.  I'm looking at the bigger picture and I'm not seeing much of what they are talking about.  As usual, GMs talk the talk and some fans buy in.  Others look for actual actions to back up the talk.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Take off your homer glasses.

If Benning did what PA/JR have done so far, you and many others would be ripping his head off.

This management team has done nothing special.  They talked about freeing cap space and unloaded Hamonic only to add Dermott shortly thereafter.  They freed a whopping $1.5M.

Then they go and spend $1M of it on Lazar.  So really, freed up nothing.

Then they spend another $4.75M on Mikheyev.  Where have we freed up cap space?

PA/JR have said the following:

Free cap space - Nope, they haven't done anything of that nature YET.  In fact, they've spent more cap space than they've saved so far.

Fix defence situation - Nope.  Unless you count Dermott as a fix.  Dermott/Rathbone could have been packaged for Marino, but looks like that ship may have sailed.

Get bigger and faster - Mikheyev is the answer to that I guess?  I'm sure 2 of Garland, Hoglander, and Kuzmenko will get moved eh?  Lazar is 6' 194lbs.  Lamikko was 6'2" 192lbs.  Lazar is a slug compared to even Lamikko.

Anyways, you keep those homer glasses on.  I'm looking at the bigger picture and I'm not seeing much of what they are talking about.  As usual, GMs talk the talk and some fans buy in.  Others look for actual actions to back up the talk.

Well, sounds like you need to step in and show that 2 time Stanley cup winning GM, hall of fame President and successful NHL scout how to turn an organization around in 6 months from your computer chair. You should get in touch with them and pass on that high level knowledge of yours lol. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

Well, sounds like you need to step in and show that 2 time Stanley cup winning GM, hall of fame President and successful NHL scout how to turn an organization around in 6 months from your computer chair. You should get in touch with them and pass on that high level knowledge of yours lol. 

That's all you've got? Oh boy... :picard:

Maybe tell me how they've saved cap space, gotten bigger and faster, and fixed the defence situation.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's all you've got? Oh boy... :picard:

Maybe tell me how they've saved cap space, gotten bigger and faster, and fixed the defence situation.

Maybe you can explain to them how to do all that with no cap space and a depleted prospects pool? I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Maybe you can explain to them how to do with with no cap space and a depleted prospects pool? I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

Again?  Face it, you've got nothing to defend them with because they haven't done anything special.  They haven't done anything they've been saying they'd do.  Until it happens, this management team hasn't accomplished anything yet.  If/when they do, and they do it well, and it translates to the on-ice product, I'll be quiet. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Again?  Face it, you've got nothing to defend them with because they haven't done anything special.  They haven't done anything they've been saying they'd do.  Until it happens, this management team hasn't accomplished anything yet.  If/when they do, and they do it well, and it translates to the on-ice product, I'll be quiet. 

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol, the gif doesn't even make sense in the context of my reply.  You're truly the Harold Druken of CDC lmao.

If you don't understand what that GIF implies, it says a lot more about you than it does me haha.

I'll let you think about it for a bit. But continue angry typing incoherent insults, by all means.

If you don't understand what that GIF implies, it says a lot more about you than it does me haha.

I'll let you think about it for a bit. But continue angry typing incoherent insults, by all means.

Best Facepalm GIFs | Gfycat

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Did you ever think it takes time to watch and assess a team before making major changes while having zero cap flexibility? They were supposed to completely rebuild and re-tool, find identity and change culture in 6 months? Lol - are you joking? Not to mention completely gutting and restructuring the player development dept. Scouting dept, analytics dept and prepare for their first draft?  To say they've done nothing or "not enough" is shockingly ignorant.

This team has no cap room with multiple unwanted contracts, give your head a shake, this isn't EA NHL 21.

Mikheyev is widely regarded as one of the fastest, if not the fastest player in the league arguably. Went stride for stride with McDavid, who is considered the fastest. I see what you're doing, but you're missing the ball. I said they solidified the 4th line, Lazar a proven 4th line right shot center who can play RW. A more veteran, proven player than a Lammikko or Highmore so yes, it has indeed solidified the 4th line, you're about he only person who disagrees with that. Not only that, adding more players has pushed some other players down, further solidifying our 4th line. Highmore worked hard, but he's a fringe NHL'er at best.

If we did make changes, something….. anything… we may have actually made the playoffs 

18 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

If we did make changes, something….. anything… we may have actually made the playoffs 

That's such obviously flawed logic. It was the team's extremely poor start that lead to them missing the playoffs primarily - these guys didn't get hired until mid season....by that time the team was playing way better and pushing for a seed. I don't understand the logic behind your statement?

Are you really blaming Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin for this team missing the playoffs? A team they didn't build with players they didn't draft? Our fan base really has this reputation for a reason lol my god.

Edited by Harold Drunken