The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the team any closer to having an identity?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

Just now, Alflives said:

Is the team any different?  Same players. Heck, if anything (after moving Hamonic) we might be more fun to play against. 

nah it got fun for us under BB when we stopped falling back and conceding shots on Demko.

What I like about the new look F group is it has a good chance of being very hard to play against; really good forechecking, speed, snipers, should be a good PP and PK, we're kind of looking like an all situation group up front. I like 'hard to play against' as an identity to strive for.

Who cares if there's a lot of the same guys coming back? I don't understand why thats bad, Colorado has some pretty $&!#ty years under MacKinon and Landy. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

nah it got fun for us under BB when we stopped falling back and conceding shots on Demko.

What I like about the new look F group is it has a good chance of being very hard to play against; really good forechecking, speed, snipers, should be a good PP and PK, we're kind of looking like an all situation group up front. I like 'hard to play against' as an identity to strive for.

Who cares if there's a lot of the same guys coming back? I don't understand why thats bad, Colorado has some pretty $&!#ty years under MacKinon and Landy. 

And Sakic traded both ROR and Duchene to change his club from being “too fun to play against.”

Msybe we need to trade both Bo and Miller to really make the change we need to our identity?  

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And Sakic traded both ROR and Duchene to change his club from being “too fun to play against.”

Msybe we need to trade both Bo and Miller to really make the change we need to our identity?  

why would we move two guys that actually are hard to play against? 

I think the whole over-simplified identity thing is nice for media folks. I just want to see a team thats good in all the fundamental areas. I think the F group as it stands today has that chance. 

I'm most excited about the potential for a new PK1: Lazar Mikheyev OEL Myers - thats going to kill a lot of penalties for us. 

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Our fans sure do:  "woe is me/us" with a little Eeyore "oh bother" mixed in for good measure.

I feel like our team's identity is one of resilience and fortitude.

If we'd stayed the same AFTER Bruce arrived, sure. But clearly this team is building an identity...they just had to be given enough leash (and support) to do so. People here exercise NO patience in a "want it all and want it now" deal. Petey's injury was a factor...let the dust settle for awhile.

LOL, I've seen it SO much worse and there are a lot of things to be excited about with this group. Some here spend all their time focusing on the negative. I've avoided commenting recently as it's just not worth it but I will go down swinging for my team. 

The fans on this forum are hard to reason with, no matter what is happening the negative side will come out. A trade happens and the Canucks suck because they missed out. We sign someone it was for too much and not the right player to sign, we draft a excellent player is was the wrong position, and.....:frantic:

• Cheers 3

The three Russian forwards all come with the description of dogged puck pursuit. Add to that the intrinsic piss you off value of Garlad and Hoglander as well as what looks like a fourth line of Joshua-Lazar and Lockwood which mixes speed, hitting and general toughness.  We also look to have three annoying, attacking scoring lines. 
I see a frustrating team that comes at you in waves and forechecks aggressively. 
The D is what it is. 
Rathbone, OEL and Quinn make for a solid attacking Left side, the Right D is there on the right side.  Yep, they are definitely there on the right. 
Obviously goal is our biggest strength. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

that was under Green. 

Pretty funny how Pearson became a "tough guy to play against".... right after the coaching change.   Personally i don't take as much issue in Green, he gave us the bubble and was a placeholder coach with some promise.    And despite what some might think, was a little old school too - but not old school like some dinosaurs that got put out to pasture like Babcock did.    To me he was just ok.   And go ahead and blare your horns about Bruce - if and when things go south his mana will also be reduced quickly by this fanbase.   Fortunately for him I think that management isn't going to rebuild or even re-set the rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

i think the new brass of coaches (BB) and management is at least attempting to form an identity for this team. 

They've been here less than a year. I would give them time.

I'm glad we actually have a team of management mixed with experience and new executives with fresh ideas rather than a two headed monster running things.

It's really hard to fix a team once under a management brass that had the mentality of living "day by day" for the past 8 years (Thanks Jimbo/Weisbrod).

It was a sh*tshow and takes a lot of time to heal because of the sheer amount of damage accumulated over nearly a decade.

We're still in damage control from what I can see. Until we move out some of the big contracts, it will be hard forming a new "identity".

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Our fans sure do:  "woe is me/us" with a little Eeyore "oh bother" mixed in for good measure.

I feel like our team's identity is one of resilience and fortitude.

If we'd stayed the same AFTER Bruce arrived, sure. But clearly this team is building an identity...they just had to be given enough leash (and support) to do so. People here exercise NO patience in a "want it all and want it now" deal. Petey's injury was a factor...let the dust settle for awhile.

LOL, I've seen it SO much worse and there are a lot of things to be excited about with this group. Some here spend all their time focusing on the negative. I've avoided commenting recently as it's just not worth it but I will go down swinging for my team. 

I get what your saying. I am just basing everything on what current management said at the end of the year and what they are doing. They said we weren’t good enough but with Kuzmenko, Mekiyev, and Lazar we are without touching the defense. I don’t know. We will see.