The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the team any closer to having an identity?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

If you watched the Sedins and saw the punishment the took without missing a beat you would know they were anything but "soft". No, they were not punishing hitters or drop the glove guys. But that doesn't make them soft at all. Soft are the guys that do their utmost to avoid contact and are intimidated by physical play. Considering how strong the Sedins were along the boards and their willingness to take a hit to make a play they were anything but soft.

Shane Doan called the Sedins after they retired. He was asked on a radio show why he called them and he talked about their toughness. He said every coach he had, and there's been quite a few over his career, said the same thing - play the Sedins physical and throw them off their game. There are a lot of high end players you can throw off their game by hitting them and being physical, but it wasn't the Sedins. He said it was tough to get any reaction from them. They would just bounce off and go and score. Doan, said they were anything but soft because they just didn't care what you did to them. He said, I played against them their entire career and nothing I did worked to stop them, and they were awful to play against along the boards. Playing physical was my game, but I was completely frustrated that it didn't work against them. It's a different level of toughness and I just really respect them. Doan said he called the Sedins after they retired to congratulate them on their careers and retirement out of respect. 

Agree, but a fair few here are stuck with the images of punching the face and nothing happened.

Same fans that drooled to get Ferland because of similar negative images stuck in their head.

Some people can’t handle negative images. It breaks them inside out.

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

The team does have an identity. Its a soft forward group with a suspect Defense and a championship caliber goalie.

Thats their current identity. Thats the identity the management team claimed to want to change. I just havent seen a move that would change that yet. I hope it happens.

did you think they could fix it all in half a year? 3 months till regular season games are being played...lots of time left to discuss and make moves as they see fit. Think Canuck fans need t give this new regime 2 years time, that is what President Rutherford has said it would take so lets see what happens from now until then

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Agree, but a fair few here are stuck with the images of punching the face and nothing happened.

Same fans that drooled to get Ferland because of similar negative images stuck in their head.

Some people can’t handle negative images. It breaks them inside out.

AV preached discipline going into the playoffs. The Sedins were always disciplined, but as leaders they were also the ones to set the example. What value would there be in Daniel taking a 5 minute major with how beat up and injured the team was? Would it help the team? It's more about those fans personal marshmellow ego than anything else. What they should really be complaining about is the tough scrappers on the team not doing anything to defend their star players. It goes back to AV saying to Bieksa that he didn't have to fight everybody that looked at him wrong. He said, you're more valuable to us on the ice than in the penalty box so pick your fights better.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am still confused as to what management wants our team to be. They haven’t really put a mark on it. They have gotten faster and more feisty but the top 6 seems redundent. I really wish we had a Tkatchuk/Kane in there to change the look. We are a bit small and easy to play against. The defense still needs a lot of work. I guess the money Benning spent on non impact players has really screwed us for a while. I just want to know what direction the team is headed in. Anyone care to explain the teams identity. A work in progress with this new management is my best guess.

Yup...

This us still a Benning constructed team.

Nothing has changed of significance yet.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Yup...

This us still a Benning constructed team.

Nothing has changed of significance yet.

It’s like Benning new he was close to getting the axe so sabotaged the next management with several toxic contracts as a gift. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I don’t buy being down on the actual team going into next year.  

Played awesome down the stretch and improved this offseason.  Add in a year of cohesion as a team and under Bruce and it should be a fun group to watch. 

Twitter’s most recent sports cliche to obnoxiously mock is the “anything can happen” line but with Demko I think it stands.  The team is a contender up front and in net… and if Hughes and OEL are playing 50 minutes a game I think we’re more dangerous than people give credit for.

I think we need to put the stretch run in perspective. It isn’t the St. Louis Blues going on their run. We were something like 12th in the league once Bruce took over. 
‘A 12th place team is a decent team but probably not what you would call a cup contender. 
Scraping into the playoffs and hoping goalie gets hot is a terrible plan.  Would rather build a team that will contend for 5-6 years even if it means a little extra pain now. 

• Like 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I think we need to put the stretch run in perspective. It isn’t the St. Louis Blues going on their run. We were something like 12th in the league once Bruce took over. 
‘A 12th place team is a decent team but probably not what you would call a cup contender. 
Scraping into the playoffs and hoping goalie gets hot is a terrible plan.  Would rather build a team that will contend for 5-6 years even if it means a little extra pain now. 

Will our owner agree to that type of plan?  I don’t think his history shows he will.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s like Benning new he was close to getting the axe so sabotaged the next management with several toxic contracts as a gift. 

Maybe but so far the current management group.have let two prime opportunities to make a mark come and go, that being the tdl and draft.

So far just words and no action from them

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

It’s not a “plan” it’s their reality.  The plan is to try and get better. Which usually happens incrementally not with the wave of a magic wand after losing a few seasons.

If you don’t think the team can contend in the next few years you should be advocating trading Demko, Bo, Brock, Garland.. basically anyone not named Hughes.  Even then saying “we’ll contend in 5-6 years” and you could end up with a team weaker than the one we have now as you’d need to hit on a stud RHD in the next 2 or 3 drafts for that timeline.  Otherwise, you’re lucky to be as deep down the middle and in net as we are right now. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

Thinking they might be trying to be a fast, aggressive, competitive team.  

"young" was also included before, but after signing Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lazar, and keeping Miller - they might be a team (veteran, mature), ready to compete. 

If they can tweak the D, even add just one good RD or upgrade, I think they can do some damage with the new look, faster, bigger, and a top 9 that can score. 

It always baffles me that some seem to think you can go from rebuilding to contender and completely skip the make the playoffs phase. Has any team done that? We're not a contender so move good players out for prospects and picks.... seems more like a never ending rebuild. Every team that wins the cup has some older veterans on the team. If you keep moving them all out for prospects and picks, which don't come with guarantees, will you ever actually become a contender?

Edit:

The first step coming out of a rebuild is making the playoffs. Then you address needs moving forward to contend. We are coming out of rebuilding.

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

It always baffles me that some seem to think you can go from rebuilding to contender and completely skip the make the playoffs phase. Has any team done that? We're not a contender so move good players out for prospects and picks.... seems more like a never ending rebuild. Every team that wins the cup has some older veterans on the team. If you keep moving them all out for prospects and picks, which don't come with guarantees, will you ever actually become a contender?

Depends how you make the playoffs. Is it sustainable? 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Maybe but so far the current management group.have let two prime opportunities to make a mark come and go, that being the tdl and draft.

So far just words and no action from them

I'd wager it's more likely that we trade our 1st this year at the deadline than it is that we trade Miller.

After 50 years of underachievement we need to establish a culture of winning and of determination and resilience. JT Miller embodies that, the guy hates to lose. If he and BB can convey that to the other players we will be getting somewhere. We need to see the players playing for each other and standing up for themselves and for each other. 

• Vintage 2