The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the team any closer to having an identity?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I for one would not mind Miller sticking around, who knows. Evey one is on the bandwagon of trading him

What does keeping him do for our team other than being worse off in the standings? We aren’t a cup contender with him. What is your argument for keeping him. As we stand right now we might just make the playoffs and I mean might because that right side does not have any top four dman on it. Sometimes it just feels like people are ok with just barely making them playoffs. Shouldn’t we have bigger goals than that. If it means taking a little step back and improving our right side defense in a big way, that’s ok to me, especially if we are a great team in the long run. We don’t have the players to win the cup right now. Rutherford has said 2-3 years. People have to accept that. What else can we trade for a top right handed dman other than Miller?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What does keeping him do for our team other than being worse off in the standings? We aren’t a cup contender with him. What is your argument for keeping him. As we stand right now we might just making the playoffs and I mean might because that right side does not have any top four dman on it. Sometimes it just feels like people are ok with just barely making them playoffs. Shouldn’t we have bigger goals than that. If it means taking a little step back and improving our right side defense in a big way, that’s ok to me, especially if we are a great team in the long run. We don’t have the players to win the cup right now. Rutherford has said 2-3 years. People have to accept that. What else can we trade for a top right handed dman other than Miller?

A bunch of us have been arguing this and another bunch fell in love with a hot run and think we need a few tweaks and are cup contenders. 
I agree with you, we have a decent core, not an elite one and a bit imbalanced, but are thin on anything coming, are way to focused on wingers, don’t have enough NHL centres and the organizational depth of right D from the first pairing to the youngest prospect is embarrassingly thin. Organizational centre depth is only better because we are counting JT and EP as centres but there is also nothing in the cupboards at C. 

We have an embarrassment of riches in D prospects so that is looking good, similar at wing, my god do we have a lot of wingers on the NHL team and in the prospects especially since I count JTM and EP as wingers. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, Devron said:

An identity is created on the ice. I thought we had a pretty damn good team the last half of the season. We’ve improved our forward group and now we need to improve our defensive group. What’s the big deal? 

No _hit hey?  Oh wait.. impatient people thinking Rome was built in a day. 

We just got bigger tougher and faster, always hear bitching and complaining but no input on how to best change things better than a GM can do.

This is not New York, Tampa, or any other big market team. 

Nor do we have to have a tough top 6, that's a bottom 6 task. 

JR started in on that with a limited cap and who is to say he's done and won't do anything else. In actuality he actually did say there was more work to do and if he could pull off a trade he would. 

Last I looked it's still summer out there, other than what just happened I get there's not a lot to talk about but as we sit, we're better than last year so..  relax and know a ELITE team doesn't come out of thin air, it takes time.

Patience young Jedi, the force (JR) is with us..

Long live the... Ok nevermind  GCG!!

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Every one to his own, personally I see him as a palyer you couldn't replace. Where the Canucks would have been without his 99 pt season. 99 pt players don't fall off trees, he was 9th O/A in pts standing, better than Ovechkin, MacKinnon etc

2021-22 NHL Player Skating Stats | ESPN

I to wish to win a cup too, we got so so close in 2011, But getting rid of your top scorers is a positive..?

I think management have thrown out the challange to Mller repeat with another 99 pts. Frankly I don't think he can and his price may well weaken. As to the defence it can always get better, that's true of every team. However the Vcr blue line didn't fare to bad O/A Unfortunately Vcr fans suffer from the sheep effect, one starts bleeting and the rest jump on the bandwagon. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

We have an identity:

We have an above average and deep forward group, with a thin defence that is propped up by great goaltending. 

Whenever we address the defense and turn it from a weakness to a strength, we will have the identify of a great or perhaps even elite team: one that is strong and deep at every position.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, Alflives said:

And Sakic traded both ROR and Duchene to change his club from being “too fun to play against.”

Msybe we need to trade both Bo and Miller to really make the change we need to our identity?  

You know Alf I think you are joking, but you might be closer to the truth than you think.

What is the old saying, "Out of the mouth of drunks, er I mean aliens, no, I mean babes"?

Oops did I just call you a babe?

Lucky my gf doesn't troll this site.

I think both Bo and JT could be compared to ROR

Bo compares to ROR in Colorado

First nhl team, tries to do right and lead, but needs more seasoning, and hard knocks to bring out his best

Miller compares to ROR in StL, 3rd team, then breaks out

I have always liked Miller since he came to Vancouver, even if I didn't like the trade or the timing

Had Vancouver been built like Stl when they traded for Miller things would look better.

14 hours ago, lmm said:

You know Alf I think you are joking, but you might be closer to the truth than you think.

What is the old saying, "Out of the mouth of drunks, er I mean aliens, no, I mean babes"?

Oops did I just call you a babe?

Lucky my gf doesn't troll this site.

I think both Bo and JT could be compared to ROR

Bo compares to ROR in Colorado

First nhl team, tries to do right and lead, but needs more seasoning, and hard knocks to bring out his best

Miller compares to ROR in StL, 3rd team, then breaks out

I have always liked Miller since he came to Vancouver, even if I didn't like the trade or the timing

Had Vancouver been built like Stl when they traded for Miller things would look better.

JT had a 99 pt season, I do nnot believe he will that again next season, His value may well decrease and Vcr signs him at a figure they can afford

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

JT had a 99 pt season, I do nnot believe he will that again next season, His value may well decrease and Vcr signs him at a figure they can afford

that 99 point season is the only thing stat separates Miller from ROR, and the Cup Ring

but you are most likely correct

however waiting for a player to come back to earth in a contract year is a risky proposition

there is that whole problem of respect over reality that comes into play with players in contract years

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, Nucklefuts said:

We are team Sweden

this is so true

I think changing a team culture is much harder then many including the OP think.

We have been Team Sweden since 1978-79

you might have thought we were team Smyl, or Williams or Delorme or McIlhargey, but we had Gradin and others , followed by Sundstrom, then Naslund and the Sedins

The only real break in the Swedish touch, was the Pat Quinn era,

It takes a personality as big as Pat Quinn's to change an identity.

And it is not Gradin's fault that along with being the best player during his time in Vancouver, he has also been the best scout.

But we aren't just team Sweden

we are also team New Shiny Thing

and Team Moving Goal Posts

and Team No-Patience

These are recurring problems that have plagued the Canucks from early on

• Vintage 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, Alflives said:

And Sakic traded both ROR and Duchene to change his club from being “too fun to play against.”

Msybe we need to trade both Bo and Miller to really make the change we need to our identity?  

I would trade horvat for sure ..teams goin nowhere with him as leader

Edited by Rackdawg

6 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

I would trade horvat for sure ..teams goin nowhere with him as leader

To change our identity I’m thinking moving Miller is a must do.  He’s a big voice in the room.  And Bo is the captain, so moving him creates a big change in identity too.  Myers too.  Out.  JR/Allvin have said they want the younger guys to take on more leadership.  Cleaning out the previous big minute, big voice players creates opportunity for Petey, Hughes, and other young guys (Pods) to step into those roles.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

To change our identity I’m thinking moving Miller is a must do.  He’s a big voice in the room.  And Bo is the captain, so moving him creates a big change in identity too.  Myers too.  Out.  JR/Allvin have said they want the younger guys to take on more leadership.  Cleaning out the previous big minute, big voice players creates opportunity for Petey, Hughes, and other young guys (Pods) to step into those roles.  

Gotta be careful some guy were not born to be leaders You can some times get a read during interviews 

If for instance you have a good level B guy and you promote him to a level A position you end up with a poor lever A and in need of a level B replacement ie you're worse off

Edited by Fred65

On 7/16/2022 at 1:38 PM, IBatch said:

swedish GIF

Hey, you stole my thoughts!  That picture says it all and explains exactly what we are.   A soft, mediocre - middle of the pack - average regular season, fun to play against team, complete with swedish finesse!   As many have said, this team still needs to make changes to the top 6 and of course the defence.   All JR, Alvin & "The Chipmunk Girls" have been been able to do so far is make some peripheral changes on the bottom/middle of the pack forward lines - exactly what JB used to do every season.

So don't get your hopes up too high and expect any significant changes to the outcome next season.   The best we can hope for is to "slip in the playoffs" because until those Jim Benning albatross contracts are burned through and we make wholesale changes - we will be floating around the middle of the pack with limited sucess as we essentially have the exact same team as last year minus a couple of minor pieces.

I'm still hopefull that the window out of pergatory will be 3-4 years from now.   At least Jim Benning and his AHL Calibre coach green are finally gone, so for the first time in almost a decade we start the season with some realistic hope and experience leadership at the helm with some light finally peeking thru the end of the tunnel!

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hey, you stole my thoughts!  That picture says it all and explains exactly what we are.   A soft, mediocre - middle of the pack - average regular season, fun to play against team, complete with swedish finesse!   As many have said, this team still needs to make changes to the top 6 and of course the defence.   All JR, Alvin & "The Chipmunk Girls" have been been able to do so far is make some peripheral changes on the bottom/middle of the pack forward lines - exactly what JB used to do every season.

So don't get your hopes up too high and expect any significant changes to the outcome next season.   The best we can hope for is to "slip in the playoffs" because until those Jim Benning albatross contracts are burned through and we make wholesale changes - we will be floating around the middle of the pack with limited sucess as we essentially have the exact same team as last year minus a couple of minor pieces.

I'm still hopefull that the window out of pergatory will be 3-4 years from now.   At least Jim Benning and his AHL Calibre coach green are finally gone, so for the first time in almost a decade we start the season with some realistic hope and experience leadership at the helm with some light finally peeking thru the end of the tunnel!

I said above

Team Shiny New Thing

In the 70 Toronto led the way with Salming and Hammarstrom, Salming was really good but hammarstrom was no better than Johnie Dahlin

So the Canucks weren't first, but from 1977 to 1978 the Canucks went from 0 Swedes to 4 Swedes.

then there was the Czech, Hilika and Bubla, Canucks all in

then the Russians, Larionov and Kurtov

Then they tried Euro hockey again just as the dead puck era began

Now it in not only the first Swedish GM but also 3 women in management

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with women in hockey, but why 3 and why the Canucks?

I am surprised the Canucks let San Jose get the jump and hire Greer, couldn't the Canucks have found a black Swedish female GM?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, lmm said:

In the 70 Toronto led the way with Salming and Hammarstrom, Salming was really good but hammarstrom was no better than Johnie Dahlin

So the Canucks weren't first, but from 1977 to 1978 the Canucks went from 0 Swedes to 4 Swedes.  Then there was the Czech, Hilika and Bubla, Canucks all in then the Russians, Larionov and Kurtov.

Then they tried Euro hockey again just as the dead puck era began.  Now it in not only the first Swedish GM but also 3 women in management

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with women in hockey, but why 3 and why the Canucks?

I am surprised the Canucks let San Jose get the jump and hire Greer, couldn't the Canucks have found a black Swedish female GM?

Your lack of political correctness may upset "The Millenials"

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Muttley said:

Krutov = images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOa0u6VZzdezXjRQEV-fO Sorry, I meant = images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-s0RzrpsBXWaGArTb0sl

For any one that experienced the USSR it's a mystery how many actually adapted to the Western life style. I felt for Krutov, likely an unsophisticated person. The USSR was like a sci-fi horror movie. Scary and big brother watching your every move. People were treated much like trained dogs

Honestly I think this team is going to be fun as hell to watch this season. I think they're going to make the playoffs and I think they'll make it with like 6 points in hand and quite comfortably. 

How well they do in the playoffs? Probably not well.

But with that said, I think this will be a one-off year because then we will end up having to pay up on contracts and this is the one year to kind of make somewhat of an effort. 

I just really think this forward group is going to carry us well this season, similar to the Oilers but with better goaltending. If we stand any chance in the playoffs it'll be off of the back of Demko. 

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Your lack of political correctness may upset "The Millenials"

oops sorry, sorry, oops sorry.

couldn't they have found a highly tanned Viking warrior princess for GM?

• Haha 1