The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the team any closer to having an identity?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

17 hours ago, lmm said:

I said above

Team Shiny New Thing

In the 70 Toronto led the way with Salming and Hammarstrom, Salming was really good but hammarstrom was no better than Johnie Dahlin

So the Canucks weren't first, but from 1977 to 1978 the Canucks went from 0 Swedes to 4 Swedes.

then there was the Czech, Hilika and Bubla, Canucks all in

then the Russians, Larionov and Kurtov

Then they tried Euro hockey again just as the dead puck era began

Now it in not only the first Swedish GM but also 3 women in management

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with women in hockey, but why 3 and why the Canucks?

I am surprised the Canucks let San Jose get the jump and hire Greer, couldn't the Canucks have found a black Swedish female GM?

Maybe they felt those were the best 3 people for the roles and fit within the team regardless of them having lady parts or boy parts?

• Like 1

I - like many others it seems - am a bit confused and lost at the direction and plan of the team.

BUT I am very willing to be patient and give them more than half a season and half an off season before starting to throw judgements around. 

If they whiff on the Miller situation, that'll be a tough hole to climb out of. 

Outside of that, I don't think the team is particularly close or 'knocking on the door' at Stanley Cup contention, so it's nice to see a management group being somewhat patient. Time will tell if it's the right move... 

• Huggy Bear 1

48 minutes ago, awalk said:

Maybe they felt those were the best 3 people for the roles and fit within the team regardless of them having lady parts or boy parts?

One would certainly hope that is the case

but we are talking about Canuck Identity

And this falls right in with the Canucks experimental/ shiny new thing identity 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

That’s the Vegas identity.  I don’t see how that’s ours.  Under the Benning regime we were the “hey look! There’s a pice of crap! Let’s overpay and bring it on board” identity. Now we are getting back to the Gillis “we are a very good team” identity.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, lmm said:

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt since this management team hasn't been here that long. But you may be right. We'll see.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, lmm said:

this is so true

I think changing a team culture is much harder then many including the OP think.

We have been Team Sweden since 1978-79

you might have thought we were team Smyl, or Williams or Delorme or McIlhargey, but we had Gradin and others , followed by Sundstrom, then Naslund and the Sedins

The only real break in the Swedish touch, was the Pat Quinn era,

It takes a personality as big as Pat Quinn's to change an identity.

And it is not Gradin's fault that along with being the best player during his time in Vancouver, he has also been the best scout.

But we aren't just team Sweden

we are also team New Shiny Thing

and Team Moving Goal Posts

and Team No-Patience

These are recurring problems that have plagued the Canucks from early on

Miller for Tkachuk