The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN and FLA

Florida are about $3.025m above the cap limit with 23 players signed. It appears that they will try to trade Hornqvist but he costs $5.3m and has an 8 team no-trade list. If FLA can't make a trade then they will have to buy him out (saving $3.533m) next season.

If they buy him out they will be cap compliant - i.e. $508k below the cap limit. But they will also only have 22 players on the roster and not enough space to add a 23rd player. In addition, losing Hornqvist puts a big hole in their forward lineup. I think they would like to find a way to get another decent winger onto their roster and clear a little cap to fit 23 guys.

How about this proposal?

To FLA: Pearson + Dermott (50% retained) - total cap hit $4m

To VAN: Montour - cap hit $3.5m

VAN does this to upgrade on our RHD, we have lots of RD but they are mostly depth guys. Montour would be a decent partner for Hughes for the next 2 seasons. We also have lots of winger depth, so we are essentially trading a winger to upgrade on our D.

Florida plays Montour as a 3RD so in this deal they get Dermott to play as their 3RD (slight downgrade) but they upgrade their forward lineup with a decent winger in Pearson. They are essentially replacing one player with two players and using their last $500k in cap space to do it.

VAN ices this roster which fits under the cap limit:

Garland Miller Boeser

Mikheyev Pettersson Podz

Kuzmenko Horvat Hoglander

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Dickinson)

Hughes Montour

OEL Myers

Rathbone Schenn

(Burroughs Poolman)

Demko (Martin)

Thoughts?

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Florida are about $3.025m above the cap limit with 23 players signed. It appears that they will try to trade Hornqvist but he costs $5.3m and has an 8 team no-trade list. If FLA can't make a trade then they will have to buy him out (saving $3.533m) next season.

If they buy him out they will be cap compliant - i.e. $508k below the cap limit. But they will also only have 22 players on the roster and not enough space to add a 23rd player. In addition, losing Hornqvist puts a big hole in their forward lineup. I think they would like to find a way to get another decent winger onto their roster and clear a little cap to fit 23 guys.

How about this proposal?

To FLA: Pearson + Dermott (50% retained) - total cap hit $4m

To VAN: Montour - cap hit $3.5m

VAN does this to upgrade on our RHD, we have lots of RD but they are mostly depth guys. Montour would be a decent partner for Hughes for the next 2 seasons. We also have lots of winger depth, so we are essentially trading a winger to upgrade on our D.

Florida plays Montour as a 3RD so in this deal they get Dermott to play as their 3RD (slight downgrade) but they upgrade their forward lineup with a decent winger in Pearson. They are essentially replacing one player with two players and using their last $500k in cap space to do it.

VAN ices this roster which fits under the cap limit:

Garland Miller Boeser

Mikheyev Pettersson Podz

Kuzmenko Horvat Hoglander

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Dickinson)

Hughes Montour

OEL Myers

Rathbone Schenn

(Burroughs Poolman)

Demko (Martin)

Thoughts?

Definitely like the creativity here to find Hughes an appropriate partner if a Miller trade is truly at deadlock

Montour is a risky target - his team possession #s were really low when he played in Buffalo and defs wasn't known as a two-way guy, mostly a player with good mobility with a solid point shot, more of a purely 'offensive D'. He is mobile enough to potentially adapt to a new system, but it's hard to say. Team possession #s were better last year, but he was deployed extremely safely overall, with only 33% Dzone starts, and even less in the playoffs at 31%, even Brad Hunt had significantly more than that, and Montour's offense dried up in the playoffs, especially against Tampa where he had 1 assist in the series. Saying that, deployment aside, his stats looked pretty good in the regular season, especially considering he managed to also put up so many EV strength points (29), more than any Canucks' D not named Quinny Hughes, in fact 10 more than OEL at 2nd - but that may also have benefited from playing on a team that scored the most goals since....1996??? Not sure if he'd be able to repeat that here, but there's a still a chance he'd be an improvement over Schenn for Hughes if the Canucks are only able to make a minor adjustment.

If the Miller trade isn't at deadlock - I still don't mind this trade cuz I think someone like Montour or Subban would be good partners on a ozone-oriented bottom pairing with Jack Rathbone. This would be way one to do it while clearing cap in a position the Canucks have an abundance of (wingers and LHD). Florida could use a LWer but I have some doubts they'd wanna take on Pearson's extra year, as they'd like to re-sign Weegar.

Overall, I think Florida would decline even if Allvin believes that Montour was worth the risk because of Pearson's cap. Hoglander + Dermott without retention for Montour and a 4th would be more likely IMO. This is more cost-controlled for Florida, and they get ELC depth for a run this year.

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Cheers 1

I was thinking of a base like this, but not sure what Florida should add.  A 1st is not enough but don't think Florida would cough up Lundell either.  We would add about 800k in salary, but hornqvist is done after this season.

Miller+Poolman

vs

Weegar+Hornqvist

Edited by timberz21