The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to UK Hockey

Rate this topic

Had a group of buddies I played Junior B with who were point per game and better players back in the mid to late 1980s who went onto to play in the premier English Hockey League and each of them all of sudden became the second coming of Wayne Gretzky (one of which was superagent and Matthew and Brady Tkachuk's uncle Craig Oster). 

From the vids, it ooks like the quality of English hockey has come a long way in the past 30+ years.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Had a group of buddies I played Junior B with who were point per game and better players back in the mid to late 1980s who went onto to play in the premier English Hockey League and each of them all of sudden became the second coming of Wayne Gretzky (one of which was superagent and Matthew and Brady Tkachuk's uncle Craig Oster). 

From the vids, it ooks like the quality of English hockey has come a long way in the past 30+ years.

I imagine the teams in this league would get wrecked by the top CHL teams.  Nice to see hockey grow in different markets and it seemed like they had good fan support.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

good  to hear hockey is spreading around the globe. do you play?

I used to when I was in Uni many years ago, unfortunately where i moved there wasn't access to a rink and when i could get one the ice time is ridiculous so i haven't played in about 16 years. At uni we were the last team on, and one of the players knew the guy who locked up (family friend) so we were able to lock up when we were done. We trained at 10pm to about 2am, didnt usually get home till 6am afterwards.

Now im near enough to a rink and to a team that isnt in the EIHL however any time on the ice is usually recreational with the family, although my son looks to want to start playing which would be cool

2 hours ago, Bell said:

I imagine the teams in this league would get wrecked by the top CHL teams.  Nice to see hockey grow in different markets and it seemed like they had good fan support.

the level does vary drastically, there have been some ex nhl players play in the league (usually they didn't really crack the nhl) the top players are AHL level, but the majority are probably ECHL/VHL level of player. But because of the way it works, you get some good players, some okay ones and then some local talent. Ideally the British contingent you have is good, as this can make the difference between rolling two  lines and short shifting vs rolling 3/4 lines .

Internationally we had a good run a few years back and managed to get ourselves into the elite division, however we finished bottom of the group in this years championship resulting in us being relegated back down to division a

I saw Theo Fleury play in about 2008 (can't remember exactly). He was with the Belfast Giants and they played the Basingstoke Bison. The coach for the Bison started the game in goal and was scored on like 4 times in the first couple minutes of the game. He then had a temper tantrum and pulled himself. He took off his equipment and threw the bits down the ice as he skated towards the bench. Quite a spectacle actually. After the game I went to a pizza place just next to the arena and saw Fleury in there picking up a bunch of pizzas. I always wish I had the courage to go talk to him but I just left him alone. The hockey that game was pretty crap, and I really didn't have much of a positive opinion about UK hockey, but my opinion changed when my cousin's son played for the Guildford Flames in 2018 & 2019. We went to see a few games and they were much better than I remembered. The fans were great too and when they found out that I was Canadian and understood the game a bit they were eager to learn about some of the rules that they didn't understand...icing was something they couldn't really get their heads around and offside was also a bit confusing for some.

Edited by Fan since 82

4 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

I saw Theo Fleury play in about 2008 (can't remember exactly). He was with the Belfast Giants and they played the Basingstoke Bison. The coach for the Bison started the game in goal and was scored on like 4 times in the first couple minutes of the game. He then had a temper tantrum and pulled himself. He took off his equipment and threw the bits down the ice as he skated towards the bench. Quite a spectacle actually. After the game I went to a pizza place just next to the arena and saw Fleury in there picking up a bunch of pizzas. I always wish I had the courage to go talk to him but I just left him alone. The hockey that game was pretty crap, and I really didn't have much of a positive opinion about UK hockey, but my opinion changed when my cousin's son played for the Guildford Flames in 2018 & 2019. We went to see a few games and they were much better than I remembered. The fans were great too and when they found out that I was Canadian and understood the game a bit they were eager to learn about some of the rules that they didn't understand...icing was something they couldn't really get their heads around and offside was also a bit confusing for some.

I’ve found it to be a bit different, there are always a lot of new people and casual fans as it’s very much family friendly and actually has more female spectators then male. 

but most are extremely knowledgeable and are hardcore fans. But the crowds in UK ice hockey are often very friendly and welcoming and always willing to help out and teach people the game who are new. 

The quality I will admit isn’t the greatest but the clubs are starting to hold their own in European competitions (CHL) against other clubs outside of the Swiss and Swedish teams. But because most of the clubs are of a similarish level the entertainment and tension is there making it entertaining.

also crowds and noice they make is fantastic. If you ever get a chance to go to a Sheffield Nottingham Derby they can lift the roof off, and that’s only with crowds of about 8-10k.

because it’s not as corporate as sports in NA there isn’t as much suits going, added to being a minor sport you get passionate fans more so that casual followers with money which makes the atmosphere at some games absolutely amazing 

The Golden period was likely the 1947 - 57 decade, when a lot of Canadian servicemen had married British girls and stayed on to work in the UK.  I had an older sister who was a hockey nut, and I used to go to Fife Flyers games with her in Kirkcaldy in the mid 50's. Team then was about 90% Canadian ex-servicemen who had played as youths.  I don't remember if it was amateur or professional then.  Its main winter competition was Raith Rovers, the local football team.