The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Truck driver in deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash granted day parole

CBH1926

I *think* a large number of the "Handi-Dart" vehicles out here in BC are driven by former BC transit drivers (eg., professional drivers with a fair bit of experience).  Many of them were close to retirement but wanting a similiar job to 'wind down their career'.  I'd assume its the same in Manitoba.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *think* a large number of the "Handi-Dart" vehicles out here in BC are driven by former BC transit drivers (eg., professional drivers with a fair bit of experience).  Many of them were close to retirement but wanting a similiar job to 'wind down their career'.  I'd assume its the same in Manitoba.

Depending on the number of seats possible driver didn’t have more than a basic class 5 license.  Rural small town could have been volunteer driver.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

Trans Canada and those cross streets are crazy bad. Vehicles are going 120km and others are trying to cross. So sad this happened. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

Depending on the number of seats possible driver didn’t have more than a basic class 5 license.  Rural small town could have been volunteer driver.

In bc there’s 3 bus classifications class  4 limited (11 pass max handi dart ) class 4 unlimited no air endorsement (school bus) 4 unlimited w/ air endorsment          ( coach class ) 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, -DLC- said:

Sentenced in 2019 to 8 years and he's out after 3? Our justice system is all messed up....why do we call it 8 years then? Let's keep it real here.

This is a slap in the face to the families who lost their children/loved ones. As they said, they're serving life sentences.

I do feel for the driver to some degree....it seems his employer also shares some guilt here.  But we're all responsible for our actions and this guy's wiped out a busload of kids....that's the reality here. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, even if it wasn't intentional.

I will say, trucks in general need to slow the hell down and take more care....we have dump trucks and recycling trucks just flying down the road here and it's a disaster waiting to happen. These drivers need to remember how long it takes them to stop in these vehicles.

Fully agree Deb!! Not only do they need to remember how long it takes to stop these vehicles, but they need to realize their carelessness can completely alter someone’s life, potentially forever!! Sadly I learned this just over a year ago.  Not from a trucker, but some jerk who wasn’t paying attention.  It’s been a very long road to recovery, and these idiots need to understand how much carnage they can cause another human!! Something needs to change for sure!!

26 minutes ago, hwy19man said:

We used to have these level crossings of the highway out in the valley. They are all over the prairies. The semi might have had the ROW but those crossing (and the merge lane’s associated with them, are bad. Such a terrible tragedy.