The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blue Jackets trade Oliver Bjorkstrand to Kraken for 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick

Not saying we should let Miller go for free. But re-signing him for the sake of not losing him for nothing or little return has the negative effect of tying up cap space long term.  If we let him go it would open up the opportunity of picking up good asset from cap strap teams for good value. (Bjorkstrand, Pacioretty, etc.)

Silver lining if we indeed lose Miller for nothing.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

They can afford it. 

I now hope they become a relevant team in the Western Conference. 

I’d love a rivalry with Seattle if they were competing to win against the Nucks on game per game basis. 

Calgary is no longer relevant as a rival, maybe Seattle is their replacement. 

I get what you're saying but we haven't been consistently good enough to be a rival for Calgary in years 

Seattle being better would def be neat though

• Like 1

They can afford it. 

I’d love a rivalry with Seattle if they were competing to win against the Nucks on game per game basis. 

I don’t know, CGY isn’t done yet and Treliving will have to do something to save face otherwise he will be torn apart by the fan base who will blame him (deservingly or undeservingly so). 

Let’s see what they get in return for Tkachuk and how they utilize those assets. If anything they still have a few ex-Nux so for me anyway it’s always nice to whoop em. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Good players can be had for dirt cheap if you have the cap space. This does not bode well for a Miller trade. 

Dunno about that, there's a difference between getting value for a player while you're cap compliant and being bent over because you absolutely have to move someone out, we're currently compliant if you factor in Ferland

This trade was similar to Vegas moving out Pacioretty, it's the price Columbus pays for reeling in Gaudreau 

We can also retain on Miller, and one season of retaining ain't the end of the world 

39 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I don’t know, CGY isn’t done yet and Treliving will have to do something to save face otherwise he will be torn apart by the fan base who will blame him (deservingly or undeservingly so). 

Let’s see what they get in return for Tkachuk and how they utilize those assets. If anything they still have a few ex-Nux so for me anyway it’s always nice to whoop em. 

Yeah. Let’s see what the return is. 

I doubt CGY ‘wins’ the trade though. 

• Cheers 1

They can afford it. 

Vancouver hasn't been relevant in a decade.

Absolutely love them but it is what it is.

That's a heck of a steal for Seattle!

They can keep the player, or they could also turn around and flip for picks, and probably get back more than they gave. Actually, they've done a good job of having a pool of players to flip at the TDL to get more picks. I bet they aren't done yet.

13 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

gotta be a lot of GMs real jealous of Ron Francis after that coup DAMN

Cap space in King.  It’s why we need to dumperoo Myers, Dickinson, Pearson, Poolman et al.  And if we don’t have the sugar to make any of those happen, then when we trade Miller (another Miller thread!) we should only take back picks/prospects.  Miller’s value of return is magnified by the cap space created. 

Just now, gizmo2337 said:

That's a heck of a steal for Seattle!

They can keep the player, or they could also turn around and flip for picks, and probably get back more than they gave. Actually, they've done a good job of having a pool of players to flip at the TDL to get more picks. I bet they aren't done yet.

Locking up Burakovsky & getting Bjorkstrand for a couple years, plus Wright-with-a-chip-on-his-shoulder and some zone exit/PP help with cheapy Schultz, and a full season of Beniers - Seattle might be a bit better next year.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Locking up Burakovsky & getting Bjorkstrand for a couple years, plus Wright-with-a-chip-on-his-shoulder and some zone exit/PP help with cheapy Schultz, and a full season of Beniers - Seattle might be a bit better next year.

Especially if Wright can find his groove. 

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I like the move and it gives them a lot of flexibility moving forward. If they make the playoffs they are in a position to add. If they don't make it, they can sell and collect more assets. Lots of ways they can weaponize cap space because none of those contracts are too terrible.

• Upvote 1