The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blue Jackets trade Oliver Bjorkstrand to Kraken for 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I get what you're saying but we haven't been consistently good enough to be a rival for Calgary in years 

Seattle being better would def be neat though

We have had the talent and as we saw last year a coach makes a BIG difference

2 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

For sure - Bjork will be a high valued TDL acquisition in a year at 50 percent retained. Dude is basically Jere Lehtinen

He has 4 years left on his contract. No way they retain 50% for 3 seasons.

51 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

We have had the talent and as we saw last year a coach makes a BIG difference

Woulda coulda shoulda

Given the teams we've iced for most of the last ten years the only rivals we've had are other basement dwellers

For the most part we've been a team other teams don't worry about, half a season under Bruce doesn't change that

They're gonna have to earn it, teams might not overlook us as much but we'll have to re-earn any rivalry 

Edited by Coconuts

Absolutely robbed, CBJ really should have used his value to score a young defenceman or hockey trade. This is just a panicked GM who just loaded too much cap in two signings and threw away young talent for nothing.

Good on Seattle for pouncing.

I guess they add Gaudreau for nothing and keep Laine but lose some good value here when they surely could have traded him for a prospect or young defenceman.

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely robbed, CBJ really should have used his value to score a young defenceman or hockey trade. This is just a panicked GM who just loaded too much cap in two signings and threw away young talent for nothing.

Good on Seattle for pouncing.

I guess they add Gaudreau for nothing and keep Laine but lose some good value here when they surely could have traded him for a prospect or young defenceman.

There's barely any cap space around the league with so many teams trying to unload cap.  He waits and he'll have to give up assets to move cap. 

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

Bjorkstrand is 27. 

Doesn't matter how you spin it, shipping off a 28 goal scorer for a 3rd and 4th is a painful transaction.

This reminds me of when NYI traded Toews for two 2nds. Regardless the circumstances, it's highway robbery.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Seattle have done well, look at their cap structure - solid set of guys around 4-5M, no one over 6M and they're 3M off the cap.

I think they really need a top line forward and top defenceman to be considered a real threat but they're building some good depth now. Francis has done well, grabbing Burovkowsky, Wright and now Bjorkstrand in a couple of weeks.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:44 PM, R3aL said:

If that’s what he’s getting what garland worth jeez

think this just shows how difficult it is to trade right now without taking salary back 

Yup - that's why it should have been done at the deadline, rather than go for the Hail Mary for the slim chance at a playoff spot.

• Cheers 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:01 PM, Coconuts said:

Woulda coulda shoulda

Given the teams we've iced for most of the last ten years the only rivals we've had are other basement dwellers

For the most part we've been a team other teams don't worry about, half a season under Bruce doesn't change that

They're gonna have to earn it, teams might not overlook us as much but we'll have to re-earn any rivalry 

People are deluding themselves with the coaching saga thinking it means we're better than we are. Coaching was an issue but really these players also played so poorly they got the whole franchise turned out and upside down. These guys were playing for their hockey lives, jobs and pride for the rest of the year ... and they still fell short. When you add in most teams thought we were easy outs, playing a lot of backups at that point there was zero pressure. It's pretty easy to play in that type of situation. Not that it wasn't somewhat impressive and entertaining in itself but it will be difficult to replicate. Do some of these fans not realize that at all?

I mean usually a half season of 7th/8th place play isn't enough to consider yourself a solid playoff team the following year, especially when combined with the rest of the season meant missing the playoffs. Sure we showed promise but a lot of people are thinking we're pretty much guaranteed playoffs and a 100 point season with Bruce. I don't think it's quite so rosy and I think a lot of fans are going to get a good hockey lesson this year unfortunately.

Yes we actually have to perform better to make a rivalry matter.

Edited by Gawdzukes

16 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

People are deluding themselves with the coaching saga thinking it means we're better than we are. Coaching was an issue but really these players also played so poorly they got the whole franchise turned out and upside down. These guys were playing for their hockey lives, jobs and pride for the rest of the year ... and they still fell short. When you add in most teams thought we were easy outs, playing a lot of backups at that point there was zero pressure. It's pretty easy to play in that type of situation. Not that it wasn't somewhat impressive and entertaining in itself but it will be difficult to replicate. Do some of these fans not realize that at all?

I mean usually a half season of 7th/8th place play isn't enough to consider yourself a solid playoff team the following year, especially when combined with the rest of the season meant missing the playoffs. Sure we showed promise but a lot of people are thinking we're pretty much guaranteed playoffs and a 100 point season with Bruce. I don't think it's quite so rosy and I think a lot of fans are going to get a good hockey lesson this year unfortunately.

Yes we actually have to perform better to make a rivalry matter.

They've got a lot to prove, even given it was a sustained stretch there's no guarantee what we saw was our new baseline. Issues we saw under Green also popped up under Boudreau, we still relied waaaaaay too much on Demko and it often took us a period or more to get into a game.

We also laid eggs when it mattered, losing to teams we should have beaten down the stretch like Detroit. 

I understand the optimism some folks exhibit but proclaiming us a top team in the league based on the metrics of half a season is silly imo. We aren't guaranteed $&!#, if they wanna change the perception a lot of people have of this team they're gonna have to do it over at least a few years. Half a season doesn't make a believer out of me. Prove it's more than a coaching bump and a team getting hot on the back of Vezina caliber tending.

• Cheers 1