The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers re-sign Matthew Tkachuk

Huberdeau and Weeger are very good players that add to the team's overall competitiveness. They are 4/5yrs older

than Tketchup and may not have the individual talent of him, but together, they offer a great package. I do think that

the Flames should have held out for a better prospect that what they got in this trade.

Of course, the elephant in the room is what will these two players do when they reach UFA this season.  This could

end up very messy for Calgary, or, perhaps being a pair of Cdn boys, they are happy to be back in Canada and

sign for lots of $.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Huberdeau and Weeger are very good players that add to the team's overall competitiveness. They are 4/5yrs older

than Tketchup and may not have the individual talent of him, but together, they offer a great package. I do think that

the Flames should have held out for a better prospect that what they got in this trade.

Of course, the elephant in the room is what will these two players do when they reach UFA this season.  This could

end up very messy for Calgary, or, perhaps being a pair of Cdn boys, they are happy to be back in Canada and

sign for lots of $.

You make good points.  IMHO even if Calgary signs these guys long term they are taking on risk.  Their next 8 years are very likely not going to be as good as their previous 8 years and Calgary could find themselves paying 17-20 million per year for 2 guys well into their 30s.  

This can go wrong for them in so many ways if they dont take the right path.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

You make good points.  IMHO even if Calgary signs these guys long term they are taking on risk.  Their next 8 years are very likely not going to be as good as their previous 8 years and Calgary could find themselves paying 17-20 million per year for 2 guys well into their 30s.  

This can go wrong for them in so many ways if they dont take the right path.

Good point about the age + signing a long term contract.  Similar to the situation with Miller.  Also, I notice that they

both have inflated #s due to playing on a high scoring team.  More reason for Calgary to have held out for Lundell

and Weegar for the trade.  They would have had to add more cap from the Panthers end (due to not taking Huber)

but the only player that will be a UFA is Hornquist, who also has an M-NTC (8 teams).

Anyhow, it's all good for Nuck fans.  Only seeing TKetchup's ugly mug twice a year will be awesome.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

sign for lots of $.

I think this is true. I think Calgary could have gotten a better return than Weegar, and who the heck was the prospect that they got?

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Generational talent? Lol.

Lets not get carried away…

If you like him or not he is one of the best down low battlers and net front goal scorers in the NHL. I hate the kid, but he was drafted for his skill down low and in front of the net. He may not be the fastest player, but if you have to battle him along the boards he usually gets the puck. He has sick hands in close to the goalie. I would not have paid him 9.5 million , but he does bring a hard to find set of skills. 

1 minute ago, vancan2233 said:

If you like him or not he is one of the best down low battlers and net front goal scorers in the NHL. I hate the kid, but he was drafted for his skill down low and in front of the net. He may not be the fastest player, but if you have to battle him along the boards he usually gets the puck. He has sick hands in close to the goalie. I would not have paid him 9.5 million , but he does bring a hard to find set of skills. 

Not doubting his abilities, but throwing out the term “generational talent” is implying we haven’t seen a player like him (or won’t see a player like him) in a generation.

Very unlikely. :lol:

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not doubting his abilities, but throwing out the term “generational talent” is implying we haven’t seen a player like him (or won’t see a player like him) in a generation.

Very unlikely. :lol:

Yes, he's not that good. 

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

They are 4/5yrs older

than Tketchup and may not have the individual talent of him, but together, they offer a great package

Huberdeau was one of the league's scoring leaders last season. Pretty sure he's just as, or more talented, as dick face.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Huberdeau was one of the league's scoring leaders last season. Pretty sure he's just as, or more talented, as dick face.

Both Huberdeau and Tkechup had incredible seasons, but you have to acknowledge the age difference (28yrs/23yrs).

It will be interesting to see how each player will do without the line mates (Barkov/Johnny Munchkin) helped them get

those best ever seasons.

Just now, higgyfan said:

Both Huberdeau and Tkechup had incredible seasons, but you have to acknowledge the age difference (28yrs/23yrs).

It will be interesting to see how each player will do without the line mates (Barkov/Johnny Munchkin) helped them get

those best ever seasons.

Yup, not arguing your age comments. 

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well, obviously there's the age difference as already addressed. Tkachuk's also more like a Stone in that he has the scoring and grit, so he does technically provide a more "versatile" game. I do think at least something needed to be added on Florida's part.... just Weegar and everything else seemed excessive to me.

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There you go.

Millers not worth 9.5 million.

6 x 8.5 mil is more than fair.

I'm confused the other thread someone was telling me Miller had a higher trade value than Tkachuk because Miller can play center

Now apparently Miller shouldn't get a bigger extension than Tkachuk 

I am going crazy here :frantic: