The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kadri Watch: 'Rumblings' Islanders have made a push for Nazem

Are we still talking about offer sheeting Dobson?

The ONLY way the Islanders don't match is if its an outrageous one year offer.  See Montreal vs Carolina for reference. 

So, unless you're willing to put something like a 12 to 15 million, one year offer in front of him and live with the ripple effect throughout our lineup, then this is an irrelevant discussion! 

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Are we still talking about offer sheeting Dobson?

The ONLY way the Islanders don't match is if its an outrageous one year offer.  See Montreal vs Carolina for reference. 

So, unless you're willing to put something like a 12 to 15 million, one year offer in front of him and live with the ripple effect throughout our lineup, then this is an irrelevant discussion! 

ok but hear us out. Allvin does it just to troll old man Lou Lam

he has 18M in cap space - Dobson gets offersheeted for 8.4

Suddenly he has 9.5 to re-sign Bellows and Romanov and attempt to sign Nazem Kadri, as well as be mindful of Barzal's raise next year

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Suddenly he has 9.5 to re-sign Bellows and Romanov and attempt to sign Nazem Kadri, as well as be mindful of Barzal's raise next year

Allvin and JR aren't going to troll anybody, that type of strategy would undermine their credibility with all the other GMs in the league and would raise the chances of someone offer sheeting Pettersson in a couple of years. 

53 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I think 58M over 7 years (8.4 per year) would have a reasonable shot. Loulam would likely match but his team would suck next year and when asked why he could say "ask Vancouver". Offersheets can't be over 7 years.

at the same time, there's basically no chance of that happening from a Vancouver perspective lol . It would be worth it to Bjorkstrand Garland in this case, I suppose.

That's 4x 1st round picks.  

1 hour ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I think 58M over 7 years (8.4 per year) would have a reasonable shot. Loulam would likely match but his team would suck next year and when asked why he could say "ask Vancouver". Offersheets can't be over 7 years.

at the same time, there's basically no chance of that happening from a Vancouver perspective lol . It would be worth it to Bjorkstrand Garland in this case, I suppose.

Better chance offer sheeting Hague or Roy out of Vegas.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Allvin and JR aren't going to troll anybody, that type of strategy would undermine their credibility with all the other GMs in the league and would raise the chances of someone offer sheeting Pettersson in a couple of years. 

Carolina doesn’t seem to have suffered much taking a Montreal player. They ended up paying to much.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

For one year then signed him to a reasonable term. 

I might be in the minority here, but I think 4.82 million per is a little high for a guy who puts up just slightly over .4 points per game (29 points in 66 games).

Pearson puts up .5 points per game like clockwork and at 3.25 million per season, there are a LOT of fans on this board who feel he's vastly overpaid and a colossal waste of money.

For me, the long-term contract price for Kotkaniemi is around 3.5 million per season. He's still got room to grow, but IMO, Carolina would happily turn back time and reverse that offer sheet if they could.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I might be in the minority here, but I think 4.82 million per is a little high for a guy who puts up just slightly over .4 points per game (29 points in 66 games).

Pearson puts up .5 points per game like clockwork and at 3.25 million per season, there are a LOT of fans on this board who feel he's vastly overpaid and a colossal waste of money.

For me, the long-term contract price for Kotkaniemi is around 3.5 million per season. He's still got room to grow, but IMO, Carolina would happily turn back time and reverse that offer sheet if they could.

again, it's this insane era where GM's are giving kids huge payouts and long term contracts for potential.  It's terrible and is ruining the game, imo

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Exactly. How many picks did they give up? Overpayment.

4 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

According to Capfriendly NYI only have $11.2m in cap space

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

There are a LOT of fans on this board who are completely out to lunch; including myself too often.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

Think Dobson wants to be in the $9M bracket.  Can’t see him wanting to make that much less than Nurse or Jones.

He probably does, but I reckon he'll have to take a bridge deal before he gets it. It was his first season playing more than 46 games and I don't see one season of 80+ games and 51 points getting him into that bracket as a team controlled RFA. If he can prove he can do it again going forward he might get that down the road, but I don't see him having the leverage to get that kind of deal long term yet. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He probably does, but I reckon he'll have to take a bridge deal before he gets it. It was his first season playing more than 46 games and I don't see one season of 80+ games and 51 points getting him into that bracket as a team controlled RFA. If he can prove he can do it again going forward he might get that down the road, but I don't see him having the leverage to get that kind of deal long term yet. 

Hughes got a massive deal based almost entirely on potential, Dobson will get it too.  GM's have zero self control

57 minutes ago, BPA said:

Think Dobson wants to be in the $9M bracket.  Can’t see him wanting to make that much less than Nurse or Jones.

Yip, and that's a problem. Second contracts for players are out of wack. That, and no one contract should span more than six years.