The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kadri Watch: 'Rumblings' Islanders have made a push for Nazem

I guess ill point out the obvious reason, and thats because a team is in direct competition with  their trading partner in the same division not just for a playoff spot the year of the trade, but every subsequent year. 

Makes sense not to potentially improve your rivals. Looks fair enough if it ends up being a true hockey trade where both teams get equal benefit i suppose, but what if it ends up a terrible trade? It happens. Drouin, sam reinhart....cam neely to the oilers for a bag of pucks. 

Does it not make sense?

56 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I guess ill point out the obvious reason, and thats because a team is in direct competition with  their trading partner in the same division not just for a playoff spot the year of the trade, but every subsequent year. 

Makes sense not to potentially improve your rivals. Looks fair enough if it ends up being a true hockey trade where both teams get equal benefit i suppose, but what if it ends up a terrible trade? It happens. Drouin, sam reinhart....cam neely to the oilers for a bag of pucks. 

Does it not make sense?

Sure, but it works both ways like I said. If we were trading players like Miller purely for picks that'd be one thing, but that likely won't be the case.

Improving rivals doesn't matter if said trade also makes you a better team. I get why people fuss over divisional trades but it's hella overblown imo. 

Trades are always gambles, pro sports are gambles and risk. There are few guarantees when it comes to trades. Sure, you could argue mitigate risk, but I argue go for the best return period.

It's why I proposed Miller to LA before they went and got Fiala.

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but it works both ways like I said. If we were trading players like Miller purely for picks that'd be one thing, but that likely won't be the case.

Improving rivals doesn't matter if said trade also makes you a better team. I get why people fuss over divisional trades but it's hella overblown imo. 

Trades are always gambles, pro sports are gambles and risk. There are few guarantees when it comes to trades. Sure, you could argue mitigate risk, but I argue go for the best return period.

Miller didn't fit LA age wise - Blake and Yanetti made it really clear that age was an important consideration.  It's kind of the issue for any Miller trade where he will already be 30+ when his new deal starts.  Miller will be paid market with the risk that his play won't carry through his contract.  

Edited by mll

Just now, rekker said:

Agreed. If there was any chance at JT for Dobson, I would be shocked. If that was offered I would take it in a heartbeat. 

So would have Allvin. 

It would have been something around Bailey + picks + prospects. Basically the dance they are doing now to make space for Naseum. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think its safe to say there was a 0% chance it was Dobson for Miller. 

Canucks fans: They'll give us their best defenceman for our 30 year old rental, now hear me out with these 28 reasons I came up with why this is plausible and will happen!..... 

Reality: The Islanders just dump Bailey or Palmieri to the Coyotes and sign Kadri. 

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure how Lou's going to swing it, they've got 11M in cap space and have to sign Bellows, Dobson and Romanov as well. They could go for a bridge-like 6M 2-3 year deal for Dobson or lock him up long term if they want. Romanov was a 20+ minute defenceman last year so probably deserves at least a good 3-4M at the least. Bellows hasn't done much but deserves a little bridge contract to keep him an RFA, maybe in the 2M region. That pretty much uses up all their cap. No idea where they're going to get the 8-9M for Kadri...

If I were the NYI I wouldn't mess with that defence any more, they've got some great pieces there with Romanov coming in and Dobson only going to be even better next year. Pulock and Pelech round the top 4 out quite nicely and their bottom pairing guys are pretty average but will do the job. Up front they've arguably got too many 4-5M cap-hit forwards so if they want Kadri they're really going to have to dump at least one of those guys (say Palmeri to a bottom feeder at the cost of a good pick) and still move some pieces around.

I know Lou wanted Miller and you have to hope that Allvin not letting him discuss contract terms with his agent didn't blow what could have been a Miller for Dobson deal...

Lou can acquire Miller and one of our LTIR players ?

9 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Lou can acquire Miller and one of our LTIR players ?

Vancouver would have to pay to get a team to take on an LTIR contract.  All teams are over the floor.

Last year Lamoriello traded Boychuk's LTIR contract to Buffalo for future considerations.  It allowed NYI to bank over 2M in cap space, which they would have otherwise lost if they had operated in LTIR.  They had nearly 2.3M in performance bonus so instead of having an overage of that amount they were able to limit the carry over to 245K.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Canucks fans: They'll give us their best defenceman for our 30 year old rental, now hear me out with these 28 reasons I came up with why this is plausible and will happen!..... 

Reality: The Islanders just dump Bailey or Palmieri to the Coyotes and sign Kadri. 

30 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Palmieri has a NTC.  Pageau has a 16 team NTC which probably includes teams like AZ.

But, hey...if they want to dump Beauvillier (retaining $1m), please call the Canucks!

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Does it not make sense?

It makes sense that if I’m a GM I trust that I don’t suck at my job.

If I trade a guy who haunts me more than the guy I got, I shouldn’t be a GM.

To be fair, I realize that doesn’t account for a Schneider for 9OA type of trade.

4 hours ago, TmanVan said:

that would be a pretty sad way to treat Bailey

6 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

It makes sense that if I’m a GM I trust that I don’t suck at my job.

If I trade a guy who haunts me more than the guy I got, I shouldn’t be a GM.

To be fair, I realize that doesn’t account for a Schneider for 9OA type of trade.

Fan mentality. Armchair GM illusion of alacrity. Pure hubris. 

Whatever you wanna call it, these real GMs are at the top of their profession, and to think or...assume...one will “win” a trade is.....what?

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Why are you wasting your time posting!!!!? Get your resume done and get your real career going!

You are wasting your potential, posting your proposed trades on a non political hockey website. 

Take the hockey world by storm, i beg you. Deliver us from this world of cap hell, and bestow the gift of “all trades win” to......

well whatever team you want in unicorn farts smell nice land. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Why are you wasting your time posting!!!!? Get your resume done and get your real career going!

You are wasting your potential, posting your proposed trades on a non political hockey website. 

Take the hockey world by storm, i beg you. Deliver us from this world of cap hell, and bestow the gift of “all trades win” to......

well whatever team you want in unicorn farts smell nice land. 

giphy-1.gif.33774606f89194a1a91dd19e819aeea2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:35 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If we had the cap space I'd go over 8 mill for Dobson easily.

Thing is. Whatever is being offered for Dobson in terms of offer sheets, it has to be a ridiculous amount. 

51 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah I can't see Dobson accepting anything less than a $75 Million for 7 or 8 years. 

I think 58M over 7 years (8.4 per year) would have a reasonable shot. Loulam would likely match but his team would suck next year and when asked why he could say "ask Vancouver". Offersheets can't be over 7 years.

at the same time, there's basically no chance of that happening from a Vancouver perspective lol . It would be worth it to Bjorkstrand Garland in this case, I suppose.