The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple shootings in Langley + Shooting in Whistler Village, reports of 2 dead.

nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

There have been gangsters in society since Al Capone. They are created by their own desire for greed and power and a fast buck. Not movies or rap music or television. 

Of course.  But these young gangsters likely listen to rap music more than watching “The Untouchables”.  Cowards who hide behind guns.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would these young gangsters be watching old TV shows or more likely listening to rap music?  

The idea that society isn't influenced by tv/media/music etc. is a joke.

The glorification of crime is massive in entertainment. 

I worked in clubs in DT Van for 15 years. I saw every type of poser tough guy.

But in reference to rap music ( which I love) ... you're right... I mean,where do you think young gangsters got the dumb idea to hold a handgun sideways?

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Boy that handgun ban is doing wonders for public safety....

Duck and cover everyone.

At least it's gangs shooting gangs. Not two guys shooting each other over a line into a night club, or the latest iPhone, school, church or mall shooting. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

At least it's gangs shooting gangs. Not two guys shooting each other over a line into a night club, or the latest iPhone, school, church or mall shooting. 

Anyone using a gun in a crime should be automatically in prison for life.  And no average Joe citizen should have a gun.  Police, Military, Farmer, Hunter.  It’s stupid common people can get a firearm.  What do they need one for; to shoot balloons?  Get a camera. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But in reference to rap music ( which I love) ... you're right... I mean,where do you think young gangsters got the dumb idea to hold a handgun sideways?

Society is influenced by all forms of entertainment and many other factors. Of course. But  the idea that censoring movies and TV will reduce gang on gang violence is silly. We have more than enough censorship today. You do you and stay away from censoring expression thanks.

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is an oversimplification. Think about the millions (billions?) of people who are exposed to rap/glorification of violence who do not engage in violence. The idea that media influences criminal behavior is relatively inefficient because there are far too many false positives (i.e., 99.9% of persons exposed to such media are not influenced by it in a way that influences their own violence). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Society is influenced by all forms of entertainment and many other factors. Of course. But  the idea that censoring movies and TV will reduce gang on gang violence is silly. We have more than enough censorship today. You do you and stay away from censoring expression thanks.

To be fair, nowhere in their post did they recommend censorship... 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Listen. I get you.

My point is about the glorification of it. The mass pumping of bad elements via media, tv, movie, music, even video games. 

I am a big supporter of free speech and not limiting censorship but we need to be more responsible.

We could start with not letting young children having unsupervised access to the internet. I know many people that give their kids cell phones at age 12 or younger. They then have access to every nightmare image and video they and their friends can think up.

My one sis is a psychologist and the other a superintendent of a school board. They concur that children are very influenced by what they see on them damn little evil genius cell phone devices we give to them.

This is a pretty good article on entertainment and influences regarding serial killers for example 

https://bullandbearmcgill.com/the-killer-effects-of-glorifying-true-crime/

Edited by bishopshodan

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This is an oversimplification. Think about the millions (billions?) of people who are exposed to rap/glorification of violence who do not engage in violence. The idea that media influences criminal behavior is relatively inefficient because there are far too many false positives (i.e., 99.9% of persons exposed to such media are not influenced by it in a way that influences their own violence). 

I'm a simple type of guy

have a gander at the article I posted above. 

Edit:

I find this a good study.

https://ivypanda.com/essays/the-effects-of-mass-media-glorifying-crime-and-criminal-lifestyle/

Looks at a lot of angles.

Everyone has an opinion... Mine is that people are easily influenced. My original point is about the glorification and not supporting the types that live this lifestyle. I have been around many gangsters in my life, many of them have beautiful girlfriends...how? why?

I have seen many HA beat downs, man do they do nasty beat downs. Yes, I have a past of being in some dodgy places. Why do so many people talk so highly of bikers? black leather jacket on a hog, not giving AF....nm, I'm off to watch some re-runs of Sons of Anarchy. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a simple type of guy

Edit:

https://ivypanda.com/essays/the-effects-of-mass-media-glorifying-crime-and-criminal-lifestyle/

Everyone has an opinion... Mine is that people are easily influenced. My original point is about the glorification and not supporting the types that live this lifestyle. I have been around many gangsters in my life, many of them have beautiful girlfriends...how? why?

I have seen many HA beat downs, man do they do nasty beat downs. Yes, I have a past of being in some dodgy places. Why do so many people talk so highly of bikers? black leather jacket on a hog, not giving AF....nm, I'm off to watch some re-runs of Sons of Anarchy. 

That can be your opinion, but with respect, the link you posted is not a "study". It is simply a narrative review of existing research, which is a problematic way to summarize research on any phenomenon because (a) the review of research is not systematic and (b) there is room to subjectively interpret the existing research. The research on serial killers discussed in the link you provided is incredibly flawed because they lacked control groups that would allow a comparison of serial killers to others (e.g., violent offenders, non-violent offenders, general samples). What this means is that it is impossible to evaluate whether the prevalence of exposure to violent media among serial killers significantly differs, and differs in an important way (i.e., large effect sizes). For example, perhaps 95% of serial killers were exposed to violent media images... but without knowing the prevalence of such exposure in the general community (and this would need to be determined using the same methods as in the serial killer study) it is not possible to interpret whether media exposure is associated with serial killing.

A less subjective means of summarizing the research on media and violence involves a meta-analytic study, which pools effect sizes from various studies (usually captures all studies on that particular topic) to statistically summarize the relationship between media exposure and violence. One of the useful things about meta-analyses is that they can also account for differences in research design quality. Old, widely cited studies that used meta-analytic techniques reported virtually no relationship between media exposure and violence once accounting for individual-level traits. This was especially true once adjusting for the quality of the study's research design:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0093854808316487?casa_token=HPToWIRUneoAAAAA:aZW3GlDYUGwP9BL__pEeCPNKNpL_UFTfn1Tq4nzripbjXviam3Huzk4UG76IS0JDdEZqR8w0ury5

More recent study reporting the same thing:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1745691620927666?casa_token=sGE3vnrujFcAAAAA%3At3y3KGS5CjOwXDi9889GjyQeITbGiNEZKqPmAdo6c28mIDNjoms0JN8Bdy7cupP6Cjc6hYzGMJxs

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1745691619850104?casa_token=cIDW9Y4XPbEAAAAA%3A7RsG-lWvOdSvr59wULfGsfsMSoQQ6hhicw4uIx5oin6R-aIC4K3SOEf_bn4M3VYZmwtzWvMVujRP

• Huggy Bear 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a simple type of guy

Edit:

Anything to reduce violence is well worth it. No matter how small (or large) the impact it may have.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

That can be your opinion, but with respect, the link you posted is not a "study". It is simply a narrative review of existing research, which is a problematic way to summarize research on any phenomenon because (a) the review of research is not systematic and (b) there is room to subjectively interpret the existing research. The research on serial killers discussed in the link you provided is incredibly flawed because they lacked control groups that would allow a comparison of serial killers to others (e.g., violent offenders, non-violent offenders, general samples). What this means is that it is impossible to evaluate whether the prevalence of exposure to violent media among serial killers significantly differs, and differs in an important way (i.e., large effect sizes). For example, perhaps 95% of serial killers were exposed to violent media images... but without knowing the prevalence of such exposure in the general community (and this would need to be determined using the same methods as in the serial killer study) it is not possible to interpret whether media exposure is associated with serial killing.

A less subjective means of summarizing the research on media and violence involves a meta-analytic study, which pools effect sizes from various studies (usually captures all studies on that particular topic) to statistically summarize the relationship between media exposure and violence. One of the useful things about meta-analyses is that they can also account for differences in research design quality. Old, widely cited studies that used meta-analytic techniques reported virtually no relationship between media exposure and violence once accounting for individual-level traits. This was especially true once adjusting for the quality of the study's research design:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0093854808316487?casa_token=HPToWIRUneoAAAAA:aZW3GlDYUGwP9BL__pEeCPNKNpL_UFTfn1Tq4nzripbjXviam3Huzk4UG76IS0JDdEZqR8w0ury5

More recent study reporting the same thing:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1745691620927666?casa_token=sGE3vnrujFcAAAAA%3At3y3KGS5CjOwXDi9889GjyQeITbGiNEZKqPmAdo6c28mIDNjoms0JN8Bdy7cupP6Cjc6hYzGMJxs

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1745691619850104?casa_token=cIDW9Y4XPbEAAAAA%3A7RsG-lWvOdSvr59wULfGsfsMSoQQ6hhicw4uIx5oin6R-aIC4K3SOEf_bn4M3VYZmwtzWvMVujRP

Thank you for all this.

Yes it is just my opinion.

And importantly the my belief in the influence of glorification of crime....not exposure to violence or crime specifically. Casting handsome likeable villains , selling drugs and making it look cool, guns, fast illegal money, getting you the `life`...that kind of stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you for all this.

Yes it is just my opinion.

And importantly the my belief in the influence of glorification of crime....not exposure to violence or crime specifically. Casting handsome likeable villains , selling drugs and making it look cool, guns, fast illegal money, getting you the `life`...that kind of stuff.

It was way to easy to cheer for Jax Teller in the Sons of Anarchy, Walter White in Breaking Bad, and Marty Byrd in the Ozarks.  And I'm a law-abiding, tax-paying, peaceful citizen.  They were all ruthless/brutal criminals.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I guess the 2nd victim was not a gang member.

People have to select their friends and associates more carefully nowadays.

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/brothers-keeper-gangster-shot-to-death-in-whistler

The one guy that got killed today was a notorious gangster who stab someone in the eye last year. You still want to hangout with that dude then you going to pay the biggest dumbest price. 

• Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, mordekai said:

The one guy that got killed today was a notorious gangster who stab someone in the eye last year. You still want to hangout with that dude then you going to pay the biggest dumbest price. 

So from what I understand, he was with his brother last year when his brother got shot.  Then he chased down the person that shot his brother and stabbed him in the eye, is that right? 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So from what I understand, he was with his brother last year when his brother got shot.  Then he chased down the person that shot his brother and stabbed him in the eye, is that right? 

That’s what I read too but I didn’t bother to research why he wasn’t sent to prison…

17 hours ago, x00x said:

this world is so far in hell, to be frank wouldnt care if there was a nuclear war soon, a shooting at whistler village?? really???? , i dont think there has ever been one there since its opened, dont know whats wrong with people anymore, i dont even trust my neighbor anymore, soon we will all need wpns to self protect each other, cause this could happen to you and you would need to protect your family

It's mostly gangsters hitting each other so I don't think weapons would protect families as these shootings are generally targeted. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Ya. One gang member shot another in Whistler today cuz they watched the sopranos. Lol. 

I think you missed the point. Glorifying the lifestyle doesn't help. In music, video games, TV/entertainment....desensitization happens over time with repeatd exposure to something. Many young people are impressionable and the lifestyle is appealing in a sense that it's money and power. But mostly, just risk.

There have never been gangsters at this level and we're seeing these targeted shootings daily. So it isn't too far fetched to associate the rise in these activities to things kids these days are exposed to. Not the cause but definitely not helping the case.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1