The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple shootings in Langley + Shooting in Whistler Village, reports of 2 dead.

nuckin_futz

7 hours ago, mordekai said:

That’s what I read too but I didn’t bother to research why he wasn’t sent to prison…

Seeing a few "wasn't charged" and wondering why that is??

When we see "known to police" maybe that's part of the problem? Our laws are a joke.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Seeing a few "wasn't charged" and wondering why that is??

When we see "known to police" maybe that's part of the problem? Our laws are a joke.

IHIT always puts on a big show though once everything is over, I guess thats supposed to make people feel safer? 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I am 'known' to the police; I've received 3 speeding tickets in my life- each time I had to hand over my id and insurance papers.

Wouldn't make sense for the cops to interview people , about crimes, if they didn't know who they were.

Edited by gurn

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our police officers are amazing and courageous.  We need to be honouring them and not glorifying gangster behaviour.  Our kids need to see police as the good guys, and be like them.  

Why be like cops? They are not all good, in fact quite a few are power mad abusers, of the poor and 'ordinary' citizenry,

Generally speaking, gross generalizations are gross.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why be like cops? They are not all good, in fact quite a few are power mad abusers, of the poor and 'ordinary' citizenry,

Generally speaking, gross generalizations are gross.

When people are in need of help they call for gangsters?  Gangsters are all bad.

Portraying our courageous police as “power mad abusers” is beyond foolish. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I see a lot of US influence in how we view our police now. Just like with all the gang glorification crap. 

U.S. influence?

How does  the local indigenous population feel, about how great our Canadian cops are recently?

Or the dark skinned folk in various eastern Canadian cities where they get 'carded" way may more than their fellow Canadians that happen to be white?

Or poor people in Vancouver, where the cops are seizing their stuff, but not charging them with theft.

They force poor folk to go through 'civil"- what a misnomer that word is- forfeiture. Knowing full well most poor folk can't afford to fight that process.

Edited by gurn

1 minute ago, gurn said:

U.S. influence?

How does  the local indigenous population feel, about how great our Canadian cops are recently?

Or the dark skinned folk in various eastern Canadian cities where they get 'carded" way may more than their fellow Canadians that happen to be white?

yes US influence. We saw more attention paid to George Floyd than we ever did for a Canadian incident, e.g. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

U.S. influence?

FTFY

• Thanks 1

LANGLEY, British Columbia (AP) — The Royal Canadian Mounted Police on Monday reported multiple shootings in the Metro Vancouver city of Langley and said one suspect is in custody.

Police say most of the shootings were in the downtown core of Langley and there is one report of a shooting in the neighboring Langley Township.

Mounties issued a cellphone alert to area residents at about 6:30 a.m. Monday, telling them to avoid the area.

Police closed off a large section of 200th Street, a main route through the center of the city.

Police later issued a cellphone alert saying a suspect was in custody. However, the alert said police were still trying to confirm if the man is the only suspect involved.

***I'll change the thread title to reflect the Langley shooting.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yes US influence. We saw more attention paid to George Floyd than we ever did for a Canadian incident, e.g. 

People paid more attention to it yes, but that is on them.

People didn't used to care when suspected drunk natives were driven 20 miles out of town on cold prairie nighst and left to either stagger back into town or die.

didn't see it on video- doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• nuckin_futz changed the title to Multiple shootings in Langley + Shooting in Whistler Village, reports of 2 dead.
2 minutes ago, gurn said:

People paid more attention to it yes, but that is on them.

People didn't used to care when suspected drunk natives were driven 20 miles out of town on cold prairie nighst and left to either stagger back into town or die.

didn't see it on video- doesn't mean it didn't happen.

no one is saying our police are without fault, but why are things like more attention to US incidents and stupid American ideas like defund the police so popular up here? why do we look to them instead of our own issues?

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

LANGLEY, British Columbia (AP) — The Royal Canadian Mounted Police on Monday reported multiple shootings in the Metro Vancouver city of Langley and said one suspect is in custody.

Police say most of the shootings were in the downtown core of Langley and there is one report of a shooting in the neighboring Langley Township.

Mounties issued a cellphone alert to area residents at about 6:30 a.m. Monday, telling them to avoid the area.

Police closed off a large section of 200th Street, a main route through the center of the city.

Police later issued a cellphone alert saying a suspect was in custody. However, the alert said police were still trying to confirm if the man is the only suspect involved.

***I'll change the thread title to reflect the Langley shooting.

Sounds like at least one of the scenes involved the shooting of a homeless person

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no one is saying our police are without fault, but why are things like more attention to US incidents and stupid American ideas like defund the police so popular up here? why do we look to them instead of our own issues?

Media, and lots of it.

I've got a "Canadian Cops" thread going and do note that very few people go to it, or post.

Hype media, also a lot of people like to point out other people's problems and ignore their own. It is easier to do that than work for change of our home grown issues.

• Vintage 1

Time to make bullets, in the possession of anyone but cops, military and hunters -illegal.

Also 20 TRUE years in jail for gun crime. It likely won't deter anyone, but at least the perp will be off the street for an actual 20 years. Slows down the 'repeat offender' demographic.

• Cheers 2