The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Nyi

To NYI Boeser

To Van  Mayfield & Wahlstrom

Mayfield brings size at 6'5 I could see him as a top 4 d-man 

and also everyone saying we need to trade Myers his contract doesn't look great he played all 82 games and ended up with +/- of 15 the only other players that got plus 15 or more were Miller & Garland 

I mean, there's rumors that the Islanders want to sign Kadri (and add offense in general), but if that falls through (and if they choose not to circle back to trading for Miller), I wouldn't be opposed to this, as long as management realizes that both these Isles are pending free agents (RFA for Wahlstrom, UFA for Mayfield) so if they can negotiate deals in advance then I would be open to this.  Miller signed on a 6-year term at most, so we only buy until his 35 year old season would be great.  

So, sign and trade? That's a bad look for us - particularly considering what Boeser has gone through lately with his father.

It's a no from me, based on the optics alone. I'd far sooner send them Miller if we could get Dobson coming back. 

I've actually heard Barzal wants out. So how's this for a blockbuster?

Miller, 25% retained

Garland

Poolman
Woo

Forsell
Zlodeyev
2023 2nd rd. 

2024 3rd rd.

for 

Dobson

Barzal

Why does this work? Barzal had a down year and like I said, I believe he wants out.  Next year, they will have to re-sign him as well as Whalstrom, Currently, they already need to re-sign Dobson. They simply won't have enough cap space next year so they need to unload someone, somehow. And as fast as Barzal is, Miller appears to be the more complete player and at least of last year, the bigger point-getter. 

The way I figure it, Garland and Miller improve their offense slightly over the two players they lose, and in addition they gain a couple decent prospects and a couple of higher picks. I really like Garland and his contract is good, but you gotta give to get. This obviously also helps us by moving Poolman (A poor fill-in for Dobson, but it is what it is) And yes, I realize we draw from our futures a bit with this, but on the flip side, I would see Dobson BEING our future.

Our new lineup:
Podz Pettersson Boeser - Open for negotiation, but of course this assumes that Podz comes ouf of the gate on fire

Kuzmenko Barzal Mikeyev  - This becomes the fastest line in the NHL

Hoglander Horvat Pearson - Despite Hoglander's poor year, he is known for having a top-notch corsi. Combine with these teammates, it allows for a line that would spend about half their time on offense, half their time on defense when the 4th line is not available.

Joshua Lazar Lockwood - Our dedicated checking line. 

Hughes Dobson - That looks a lot better, doesn't it?
OEL Myers - They combined well last season and would be expected to be our shutdown pairing. Still not ideal, but if we don't move Myers this is probably the best we can expect. 

Rathbone Schenn - Schenn supports Rathbone's development. Hughes/Dobson will clearly be relied on to get the points, but Rathbone gives us a secondary option.

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

Miller, 25% retained

Garland

Poolman
Woo

Forsell
Zlodeyev
2023 2nd rd. 

2024 3rd rd.

for 

Dobson

Barzal

NYI say no chance to this deal. 

Barzal is young and is excellent and Dobson is essentially that teams Hughes (different style of player of course). The prospects we are offering in this proposal are not great at all and they take back a cap dump also. 

Sorry for double post, but what about this: 

Barzal and Mayfield for Miller and Garland

They can work on resigning Miller who will replace Barzal and get a cost controlled Garland to add to their top 6. 

We get a 25 year old center that fits on our teams age range. We will need to resign him but hopefully something around 8-8.5 million for 8 years is doable. Mayfield can maybe play in the top 4, but regardless our right side D will still be our weakness.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobby James said:

Sorry for double post, but what about this: 

Barzal and Mayfield for Miller and Garland

They can work on resigning Miller who will replace Barzal and get a cost controlled Garland to add to their top 6. 

We get a 25 year old center that fits on our teams age range. We will need to resign him but hopefully something around 8-8.5 million for 8 years is doable. Mayfield can maybe play in the top 4, but regardless our right side D will still be our weakness.

This is actually very fair.  I’m not a Barzal fan, but putting him on Bo’s wing could open up his game.

“JR, put down the bird seed, get up off that park bench.”

It’s time to get ‘er done! :frantic:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

NYI say no chance to this deal. 

Barzal is young and is excellent and Dobson is essentially that teams Hughes (different style of player of course). The prospects we are offering in this proposal are not great at all and they take back a cap dump also. 

Ok, maybe not. Once I broke it down, I realized it might be underpayment - but perhaps not as much as you believe.

Miller in my opinion COULD be considered more valuable than Barzal. He's bigger, has more proven leadership, and as of last season, was the better scorer. Then there's the much (much) lower retained salary. Yes of course he is older and yes an extension would need to be in place, but I think they are close to a wash. Or, at least could potentially be viewed as such. Especially if they really wish to move on from Barzal.

I wonder how much negative value Poolman has. The idea in my proposal was to throw in maybe a low-end prospect (Woo) and the 3rd round pick. Perhaps that isn't enough.

That left Garland, Forsell, Zlodeyev, and the 2nd for Dobson. I know Dobson had a great year and all, but his sample size is still relatively small.  Perhaps this still isn't enough for a promising young player like Dobson?

22 hours ago, kloubek said:

Ok, maybe not. Once I broke it down, I realized it might be underpayment - but perhaps not as much as you believe.

Miller in my opinion COULD be considered more valuable than Barzal. He's bigger, has more proven leadership, and as of last season, was the better scorer. Then there's the much (much) lower retained salary. Yes of course he is older and yes an extension would need to be in place, but I think they are close to a wash. Or, at least could potentially be viewed as such. Especially if they really wish to move on from Barzal.

I wonder how much negative value Poolman has. The idea in my proposal was to throw in maybe a low-end prospect (Woo) and the 3rd round pick. Perhaps that isn't enough.

That left Garland, Forsell, Zlodeyev, and the 2nd for Dobson. I know Dobson had a great year and all, but his sample size is still relatively small.  Perhaps this still isn't enough for a promising young player like Dobson?

Yeah I can see your point about Miller and Barzal. While I think most of the league would consider Barzal as a more valuable piece compared to Miller, in terms of impact on the ice I would say they are pretty even. Miller is in his prime right now and for the next 3-4 years at least he should be a very solid addition to a win-now Islander team. Still Barzal is an elite skater (which is valued a lot in the league nowadays, look at the UFA we just signed) and younger than Miller so it'll still be a hard sell to NYI. 

I just don't see a situation where we could pull Dobson from them. I would be so pumped if we could, but I think it would cost us an insane amount (which I don't think I'd wanna pay). Likely a combo of Podz, Rathbone and a pick or two (or sub Garland in and maybe remove something). Definitely hard to pull off. 

• Cheers 1

How about a Blockbuster 

Miller, Myers, Hoglander & Hughes for Barzal, Dobson, Romanov 

Garland Barzal Boeser 

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikeyev 

Pearson Horvat Podkolzon 

Joshua Lazar Lockwood 

Romanov Dobson

OEL Klingberg

Rathbone Schenn 

Dermott Bouroughs