The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Jonas Siegenthaler

30 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Now they have their cost controlled Defense in order.  Time for Severson to be traded somewhere.....

Part of me believes that, a part of me believes they'd be just as happy to wait until the TDL to get a better assessment of Nemec and figure out if they're in a playoff spot - might seem like a stretch, but they have a # of players who are ready to take the next step forward, a solid D corp now with the addition of Marino and Nemec, an experienced winger Palat, and if Vanecek works out finally  healthy goalie. At the same time, a lot of talent has made its way over to the Metro division. Gonna be a bit underpredictable but I could see Fitzy seeing his team ready for some wins before moving on from Sevy, even if it means slightly lower value. I watched a lot of Devils last year and their team has big potential.

Could go either way. Kind of feels like a JT w/ Canucks situation.

At the same time, if they wanted to add JT, he'd be the perfect player to balance out their top-6 and give them a better chance to compete against NYR, Carolina, and the new era CBJs. Islanders, Caps, Philly, haven't really gotten any better. Pens improving or aging is a wildcard IMO.

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Thanks 1

New Jersey doesn't have a true top LHD on their team.  Siegenthaler and Graves are 2nd pairing guys at best.  Luke Hughes is still young.  They traded Ty Smith.  Is John Marino gonna be playing on the 3rd pairing next year?

Their forwards are too small.  They need more size up front.  Gonna be interesting what they do with Severson.  I don't see him in their long term plans.  

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

New Jersey doesn't have a true top LHD on their team.  Siegenthaler and Graves are 2nd pairing guys at best.  Luke Hughes is still young.  They traded Ty Smith.  Is John Marino gonna be playing on the 3rd pairing next year?

Their forwards are too small.  They need more size up front.  Gonna be interesting what they do with Severson.  I don't see him in their long term plans.  

OEL + Pearson for Severson!! :frantic:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

OEL would fit perfectly into their top pairing with Hamilton.  Gives Luke Hughes a few years before he is counted on for top pairing minutes.  New Jersey is one of the few teams that has the cap space for OEL long term and he fits a need they have as well.  If they move Severson then they will have millions in cap space next year and most of their young players are all locked up long term.

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  It helps both teams.  Would OEL waive for New Jersey?

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL would fit perfectly into their top pairing with Hamilton.  Gives Luke Hughes a few years before he is counted on for top pairing minutes.  New Jersey is one of the few teams that has the cap space for OEL long term and he fits a need they have as well.  If they move Severson then they will have millions in cap space next year and most of their young players are all locked up long term.

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  It helps both teams.  Would OEL waive for New Jersey?

I dunno, but I get the feeling there's some teams that were on many no-trade lists that are starting to turn the corner, such as Ottawa with their offseason so far, and I'd also put Jersey in that category. I'd think he'd consider it at least. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is Benning now their GM?  No team is taking that OEL contract without significant retention and sugar.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

NJD doesn't have that kind of cap space.  

Why would NJD even want OEL - they have Siegenthaler who is one of the best defensive D in the game at an extremely reasonable cap hit.  

14 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD doesn't have that kind of cap space.  

Why would NJD even want OEL - they have Siegenthaler who is one of the best defensive D in the game at an extremely reasonable cap hit.  

Well offence and leadership obviously. Doubtful but not completely unreasonable or anything.

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well offence and leadership obviously. Doubtful but not completely unreasonable or anything.

Don't see any team paying their 3rd pairing D that kind of money.  Luke Hughes is expected to be a top-4 D and to sign at the end of this season, and they already have Siegenthaler for the tough matchups.