The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular NHL opinions?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Rubik said:

remove the trapezoid, get rid of loser points, go back to 1vs8 (is this unpopular?) and I don't mind Arizona and Florida...

Pretty sure going back to the old format is a popular take, most people don't seem to like the current format 

41 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

The term “Generational Talent” gets thrown around WAY too often talking about Superstars. 

For real tho, hype for the sake of hype is boring and inaccurate 

Generational talents are rare

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

These thoughts are probably NOT unpopular, but....

I really think the league ought to put more control with the refs than rules that are invoked for plays that are inconsequential TO the play. For example: If a player is 1" offside, did it REALLY make a difference to the outcome of the play? Probably not. As mentioned, stop the coaches challenge for that kind of event, and rely on the refs. Yes, mistakes will be made - but it would speed up the game and not make goals get called back because of a technicality.

Get rid of Bettman. I know he's done well, but it isn't just about your ability but also how you are perceived as the head of the league. Besides the fact I think he needs to move on, it really looks like he has Parkinson's anyway.

Consistency. It's hard enough to get every call right, but they should at least be consistent from game to game so players know how far they can push the limits. 

Abolish the kicking rule. Allow goals to occur no matter HOW they get into the net - save for being literally thrown in. Redirect off arms, legs, skates, whatever. If the idea is to increase scoring (which is has been for years), then this would help.

Readjust the scoring. Regulation win = 3 points, OT Win = 2 points, OT loss = 1 point.

How can consistency improve while giving the refs more discretion? 

Seasons should be closer to 62 games than 82. 

The reason why NHL players have boring personalities is not just because of hockey culture. Canadians who make the NHL are primarily rich kids whose identities are based around being spoiled, playing hockey, video games, and hanging out with other kids like them. They're boring because they have nothing to offer by way of life experience and not just because hockey culture is stifling their personalities. There are obviously many exceptions to this, but I believe the trend is there. 

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

DbHI1oKW4AA8VwD?format=jpg&name=small

I honestly don't know how many goalies in this history of the NHL would be categorized as "generational". I think a lot of it depends on the team in front of them. Like Hasek, Brodeur, and Roy are up there for sure for changing the game based on their style of play. If you suggest Vas in the last 20 years, what about Price? Fleury?

Neither Makar nor Josi deserved the Norris this year.

MacKenzie Weegar is one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL (we will see if this proves true now that he's away from Ekblad)

I haven't tested this next one, but I expect it will be unpopular: Leon Draisaitl elevates his game in the playoffs more than almost any NHL player in the league right now.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

How can consistency improve while giving the refs more discretion? 

We are talking 2 different things. More discretion as it pertains to offsides and details that don't affect the play, but more consistency into what constitutes a penalty, the length of it, and and supplemental discipline.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

I honestly don't know how many goalies in this history of the NHL would be categorized as "generational". I think a lot of it depends on the team in front of them. Like Hasek, Brodeur, and Roy are up there for sure for changing the game based on their style of play. If you suggest Vas in the last 20 years, what about Price? Fleury?

Without question Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk and Glenn Hall.  Maybes...Ken Dryden, Bernie Parent, George Hainsworth, Johnny Bower, Georges Vezina...

Outside the NHL there's Tretiak of course.  I'm probably forgetting a few candidates.

As for Vasilievsky...nah not there yet.  He hasn't really done anything Tom Barrasso, Price, Fleury, Tim Thomas haven't done.

Generational gets thrown around a lot now.  Generational...  Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Coffey, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Rocket Richard, Phil Esposito.  I would say Crosby and McDavid and Ovechkin as well.  Maybe Yzerman and Ray Bourque.  Maybe Brett Hull, Mike Bossy or Guy Lafleur or Jagr or Denis Potvin.  I don't know if there have been any others in the last 50 years and if there are, not many and certainly not some of the names that get tossed around.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Beer is too expensive at the arenas.

Oh, unpopular? Uhhhh, nope got nothing, I came to complain about beer prices.

I agree with that.  Beer, as well as wine, are too expensive at the arenas. 

• Cheers 1

Even though the NHL decided not to do the Olympics despite planning to, I don't like the break so that players can play with their respective countries. Players don't need to get injured or even now get COVID if it is non-NHL games. How about if a team was doing good until their players got hurt during the Olympics and kept losing as they resumed their season? I hope the talks of doing a World Cup during the middle of the season doesn't happen. That's what summer/offseasons are for. NHL seasons are already too long and are sandwiched between NFL and NBA seasons. The first Olympics break happened in 1998, in the 1997-98 season where Mark Messier played his first seasons with the Canucks. They also had to play their first 2 regular season games in Japan. Regular season games should never be in other countries outside of North America. That's what preseason games are for. Besides, Canada doesn't always win the gold in Olympic hockey.

There's nothing wrong with trying to grow the game in 'non-traditional' hockey markets. Fans shouldn't be blamed for not wanting to waste their time on perpetually mediocre franchises (Arizona, Florida until the last few years) or spending hours of their day driving back and forth from arenas that are in the middle of nowhere (Arizona, Florida). Ottawa didn't face nearly as much heat when nobody wanted to go to games because of their terrible owner and horribly located building.

Notice that there are no longer questions about the legitimacy of markets like Tampa Bay, Dallas, Las Vegas, Carolina or Nashville. Give Arizona and Florida a competent team with a downtown arena and people will show up.

Edited by Brad Marchand

The Ducks are going to get Dollar caliber players for pennies due to having 25 million in cap space. 21/23 roster players and 42/50 contracts signed. They are in great position to make some moves. Where as 1/3 of the league is over the cap. Including us. But damn having cap in the flat cap is the best asset to have. Will be seeing quite a few trades come August/September. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Bettman didn't ruin the game in any way shape or form. 

He's a public lackey for the owners and was given his position to take the blame and insulate ownership groups from criticism, and has done an exceedingly good job at that.

He has virtually no independent authority to make any consequential,  meaningful decisions which have a league-wide impact - as no billionaire owner would ever cede final decision-making authority to a puppet like Bettman over their financial interests  -  yet many fans blame him for virtually everything wrong with the league.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:21 PM, AK_19 said:

I like the shootout more than ties. 

What’s wrong with a tied game? 

some of the best games in the premier league have been ties. I don’t get what the aversion to them is.

go three points for a win one for a draw so it incentivises teams to go for the win,

what I find with shootouts is that teams will play for the guaranteed point in OT rather than try and win in regulation