The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin Interview (Russian sports media outlet Sport-Express)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

12 hours ago, awalk said:

"Well, I answer, it is inconvenient in front of partners that my mistake leads to a counterattack."

I freakin love this kid

And Petey's response to him: so good. This young core shows a lot of promise. Now we just need to be patient and watch them grow together like the Sedin team did over the years. Hopefully it doesn't take as long, though, to reach the cup finals, and hopefully we get more than one chance.

• Vintage 1

Podkolzin is an absolute gem, already one of my favourite Canucks of all time.

Landing an old KHL teammate of his on a ELC must be super exciting for him too. The fact that Kuzie and Mikheyev know each other from int'l play and Mikhe has also essentially been a lone Russian (besides a couple prospects) in Toronto must be super exciting for all three. All three players fill a role on paper that the Canucks need, but also being stoked to be on a team and start a year has value that is incredibly difficult to measure. Let's gooooo

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 7:03 AM, Jester13 said:

And Petey's response to him: so good. This young core shows a lot of promise. Now we just need to be patient and watch them grow together like the Sedin team did over the years. Hopefully it doesn't take as long, though, to reach the cup finals, and hopefully we get more than one chance.

^We/they may need to be far more patient in solidifying & developing the defensive-corps. RH shots, where are they?! Can we please find at least one or two more good ones, without mortgaging the farm, again?!

I’m truly envious of the far more-balanced D-depth in Calgary. Despite losing their top-2 forwards, they managed to replace ‘em with relative ease - well, for this upcoming season anyway.  Here, Canucks Nation still waits on the team adequately replacing Chris Tanev, for goodness sake!

As an aside tho’, I kind of want to see a Red-Line formed of VP, AK, & IM! Is anyone else onboard with Bruce giving these 3 mother-land-bros a decent go-around together down the road? 

Edited by viking mama

2 hours ago, viking mama said:

^We/they may need to be far more patient in solidifying & developing the defensive-corps. RH shots, where are they?! Can we please find at least one or two more good ones, without mortgaging the farm, again?!

I’m truly envious of the far more-balanced D-depth in Calgary. Despite losing their top-2 forwards, they managed to replaced ‘em with relative ease - well, for this upcoming season, anyway.  Here, Canucks Nation still waits on the team adequately replacing Chris Tanev, for goodness sake!

As an aside tho’, I kind of want to see a Red-Line formed of VP, AK, & IM! Is anyone else onboard with Bruce giving these 3 mother-land-bros a decent go-around together down the road? 

How did the Lames replace their top 2 scorers?

Gaud/Tk > Hube/Weeg

2 hours ago, viking mama said:

I’m truly envious of the far more-balanced D-depth in Calgary. Despite losing their top-2 forwards, they managed to replaced ‘em with relative ease - well, for this upcoming season, anyway.  Here, Canucks Nation still waits on the team adequately replacing Chris Tanev, for goodness sake!

Do any is term play centre? 

Fixing the rhd is either going to happen in a Miller trade or free agency after Myers’s contract expires. It really is a shame that the organisation never had put a focus on building it until now. 

22 minutes ago, UFCanuck said:

How did the Lames replace their top 2 scorers?

Gaud/Tk > Hube/Weeg

We'll have to wait and see the impact of the two new guys, as it's a fair argument that Hube and Weeg might be better for the team than the other two. Calgary also has guys like Magi who are ready to step up and play a bigger role, so there's a decent chance Calgary is a better team now. Weegs is a top dman, and that shouldn't be forgotten. 

On 7/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Canuck You said:

Very telling interview. As suspected, the adjustment from coming  over from Russia took some time and slowly assimilating with the team as a rookie and not knowing the language was uncomfortable for him. The thing I took away most from this is his mentality towards the game. He's one of those players that is a perfectionist. For some players that's a really really really good attribute to have and for some other players it's a really really really bad attribute to have because it can kill your confidence. You definitely can't say he doesn't care though. 

I loved hearing the parts about him talking about Petey being the guy to lighten the load for him mentally. Players like that are so crucial on teams and I absolutely love that Petey is that kind of guy because he's shown some passionate events in the past and it's easy to misconstrue his anger for potentially being a selfish player but he's actually more related to a great leader who says, "Don't sweat the small stuff and focus on what matters" which is by far the best way to lead a team. You have some players who get angry at their teammates for not executing on plays and turn themselves into selfish hotheads and then you have guys like Petey who get angry at you for the right reasons which is the type of accountability you want on your team. 

It'll be interesting to see Podkolzin and to see if he takes a step forward and if so, how much. He has the tools, he just needs to believe in them and put all of his effort into them. I really hope we eventually get to see his World Juniors Team Russia type of leadership. I feel like he'll need to elevate his game significantly before he will be comfortable enough to take on that type of role.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1