The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Figured I would post this again for this year's draft thread. My league rankings. Feel free to dispute but for those who aren't as familiar with pro hockey outside the NHL (and for myself) it's a good reference point.

20 - NHL
18.5 - KHL
18 - SHL
17.25 - AHL
17 - SM-Liiga
16.75 - Swiss NL
16.5 - Czech Extraliga
16.25 - VHL (Russia2), DEL (Germany)
16 - HockeyAllsvenskan
15.75 - Tipsport Extraliga (Slovakia), ICEHL (Austria)
15.5 - ECHL
15.25 - NCAA, Ligue Magnus (France), Metal Ligaen (Denmark)
15 - Fjordkraft Ligaen (Norway), DEL2
14.75 - Czech2, SL (Swiss2)
14.5 - EIHL (UK), Mestis (Finland2), Kazakhstan
14.25 - USports, VHL-B, Latvia
14 - WHL, OHL, MHL, HockeyEttan (Sweden3)
13.75 - QMJHL, USHL, SuperElit, SPHL, Slovakia2
13.5 - U20 SM Sarja, MSL, AlpsHL
13.25 - BCHL, NCAA DIII, Denmark2
13 - NAHL, Latvia, Norway2
12.75 - AJHL, ACAC
12.5 - OJHL, CCHL, Poland, France2
12.25 - MJHL, SJHL
12 - GOJHL, QJAAAHL, NOJHL
11.75 - BeNe League
11.5 - VIJHL, ACHA
10 - USPHL Premier
9.75 - ACHA DII

Keep in mind the extremely wide variance in quality for college leagues, with 60 DI teams, 72 DIII teams, 70 ACHA DI teams and 200 ACHA DIII teams.

Edited by HighOnHockey

Oh damn I just realized last fall's U17 Challenge games are available on Hockey Canada's website. It was a shelled down version with no international teams and only Canadian players, but most of the top Canadians were there - Benson, Ritchie, Yager, etc. Check it out here: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/national-championships/men/world-u17/2021/schedule-results/stats/schedule

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 11:01 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Oh damn I just realized last fall's U17 Challenge games are available on Hockey Canada's website. It was a shelled down version with no international teams and only Canadian players, but most of the top Canadians were there - Benson, Ritchie, Yager, etc. Check it out here: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/national-championships/men/world-u17/2021/schedule-results/stats/schedule

@HighOnHockey What do you think of Nate Danielson from Brandon (WHL)? Love the fact he is a RHD, and he put up some nice point totals last year. How would you compare him to Cameron Allen from Guelph? 

10 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

@HighOnHockey What do you think of Nate Danielson from Brandon (WHL)? Love the fact he is a RHD, and he put up some nice point totals last year. How would you compare him to Cameron Allen from Guelph? 

9 hours ago, Mbnuckfan said:

Isn't Nate Danielson a center???

Yeah Nate Danielson is a forward. I like him a lot though. Looks like a surefire first rounder and could be top 15 or 20. Bit of a power forward. Not in the way that Adam Fantilli is a power forward, but he's got a good mix of skill and some size. I mostly know him from YOGs a couple years ago where he was on Canada's top line with Savoie and Fantilli, and he more than pulled his own weight.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, wildcam said:

I watched Mathew Wood a lot won BCJHL scoring race as 16-17 year old. Wood is  6'3- 185lbs, I imagine he would be a later first rounder 18 -32 O/A??

How do you figure that? I haven't seen him that much but just looking at the numbers. Best season for a U17 in BCHL since Paul Kariya. Similar numbers to what guys like Kent Johnson and Alex Newhook did as U18s. Admittedly, when I have seen him play, I haven't been quite as impressed as the stats led me to believe. Was it just a powerhouse team in Victoria inflated his numbers or what? Because strictly on paper it looks like he should be an easy top 10 with consideration for the top 5.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:00 AM, wildcam said:

I watched Mathew Wood a lot won BCJHL scoring race as 16-17 year old. Wood is  6'3- 185lbs, I imagine he would be a later first rounder 18 -32 O/A??

40 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

How do you figure that? I haven't seen him that much but just looking at the numbers. Best season for a U17 in BCHL since Paul Kariya. Similar numbers to what guys like Kent Johnson and Alex Newhook did as U18s. Admittedly, when I have seen him play, I haven't been quite as impressed as the stats led me to believe. Was it just a powerhouse team in Victoria inflated his numbers or what? Because strictly on paper it looks like he should be an easy top 10 with consideration for the top 5.

I really liked what I saw. A little raw but heavily involved in all the action and appeared to play a heavy game. Could just be more athletically advanced than the other kids though.

On 9/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, HighOnHockey said:

I see him as a top 10 pick, think he will open some eyes in the NCAA this year.  

• 2 weeks later...

Leo Carlsson with another goal an assist for Orebro yesterday. Small sample size but he's now up there with Daniel Sedin, Markus Naslund, William Nylander and Tomas Sandstrom for best p/g by a U19 in an SHL season.

Considering the question marks around Matvei Michkov's situation, it is starting to look like Carlsson could soon establish himself as the best option to go 2nd overall.

The importance of having a strong prospect pool is overrated. Let me explain.

3 years ago the Canucks were said to have the best prospects pool in the NHL.  With names like hobby Baker winner Adam Gaudette, Linga’s rookie of the year Palmu.  The Canucks boasted the an 18 year old goalie that played for Canada in the World Cup named DiPietro, the next one.  Our embarrassment of riches extended to the Allsvenskin where our crown jewel out of all our prospects the MVP of the Allsvenskin league, Yes, Jonathan Dahlen was our crown jewel of superstar prospects.  It was just after we drafted Hughes and just after many had thought we had made a big mistake passing up on Glass in the 2017 draft. 

Well we know what happened, many of our sure fire prospects never made it.  So when I see that the Kings have the best prospect pool in the league I kinda roll my eyes.  Unless you have a rare talent please don’t.  The Kings top prospects read like a 2019 Canucks prospect pool.  I’m not impressed.  Byfield still has to prove it in the NHL and if he hasn’t done it by now, it’s doubtful he’ll ever. 

Edited by Pure961089

9 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The importance of having a strong prospect pool is overrated. Let me explain.

3 years ago the Canucks were said to have the best prospects pool in the NHL.  With names like hobby Baker winner Adam Gaudette, Linga’s rookie of the year Palmu.  The Canucks boasted the an 18 year old goalie that played for Canada in the World Cup named DiPietro, the next one.  Our embarrassment of riches extended to the Allsvenskin where our crown jewel out of all our prospects the MVP of the Allsvenskin league, Yes, Jonathan Dahlen was our crown jewel of superstar prospects.  It was just after we drafted Hughes and just after many had thought we had made a big mistake passing up on Glass in the 2017 draft. 

Well we know what happened, many of our sure fire prospects never made it.  So when I see that the Kings have the best prospect pool in the league I kinda roll my eyes.  Unless you have a rare talent please don’t.  The Kings top prospects read like a 2019 Canucks prospect pool.  I’m not impressed.  Byfield still has to prove it in the NHL and if he hasn’t done it by now, it’s doubtful he’ll ever. 

Yeah! F*ck the Kings and f*ck Byfield!

Edited by HighOnHockey