The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Hoping we get this guy:

5. Cameron Allen, D (Guelph, OHL)
While the 2023 Draft will be dominated by high-end talent, Allen won’t need to wait long for his name to be called. He was one of Canada’s best players at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup and was the OHL’s top rookie last season after missing a year due to COVID-19 shutdowns. Intelligent, mobile and offensively inclined, Allen has the makings of a prototypical modern-day NHL defenseman.

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Considering the Canucks' start to the season, now seems like a good time to post my latest list. I'm pretty behind on scouting this year compared to where I was this time last year, so rather than try to do a full first round I'm just gonna do a top 20 so that I'm sure I've seen at least a little bit of every player and can make somewhat informed assessments:

1. Connor Bedard C 5'9 - The way I look at it, to be a generational talent a player would have to be at least elite in every relevant category, and in one or two categories they should stand out as generational. For both Bedard and Michkov one of those attributes is skating. I liken it to the 2020 draft and comparing Lucas Raymond's explosive shiftiness vs. Tim Stutzle's razor-smooth edges, but on another level. The last two Canadian generational prospects (Crosby, McDavid) were playmakers first and foremost and the best in the world at controlling play with the puck; although Bedard is obviously elite making plays with the puck, he is more of a goal-scorer first, and is expected to be the best in the world at controlling play and creating offence without the puck. He has that shiftiness and awareness that he seems to suddenly materialize in scoring areas as the puck is arriving. And he has that explosive first step and change of direction that allows him to get to pucks few other players would get to. And then there's his shot. Kid can score goals from anywhere, at any angle and any body position. Parts Joe Sakic and parts Pavel Bure.

2. Matvei Michkov RW 5'10 - As impressive as Bedard's skating is, his bread and butter is his shot. But while Michkov's shot is elite in his own right, the thing that sets him apart is his skating agility and edges. I said about Eklund in his draft year he was the most impressive prospect at that age I've seen in years at manipulating the corners with his edgework - Michkov takes it to another level. Parts Crosby and Jeff Skinner. Just an absolute whirlwind below the goal line. He also loves to attack defenders off the rush and will find and expose any open space to go through multiple defenders. I am often the first to scrutinize prospects who are overzealous with puck, but really it's just about a player knowing the limits of their skill and as they move up levels adjusting to how much they can get away with. Michkov is going to be that one in ten thousand, like a Patrick Kane or Kucherov or McDavid, who can make something out of nothing against any defender at any level.

3. Leo Carlsson C 6'3 - It happens to be a Bedard/Michkov year, but in most drafts Carlsson and Fantilli could both be favorites to go first overall. His SHL p/g so far this season is matched all-time for U19s only by Tomas Sandstrom, Markus Naslund, Daniel Sedin and William Nylander. But Carlsson is a 6'3 super mutant. One of the smoothest skating forwards in the draft; there were times watching Sweden's U18 team last year where I would think for a long moment it was Noah Ostlund weaving the puck through the neutral zone, only to realize it was Carlsson. I'd like to see him be a little more physical with then puck on his stick but for the most part he uses his size very well, and his combination of power and elusiveness is extremely rare. Shades of guys like Eichel and MacKinnon.

4. Adam Fantilli C 6'2 - Fantilli is a pure power forward with a mean streak who hits like a truck. Separates puck from bodies and then is able to make plays in tight spaces. Practically unstoppable taking the puck to the net out of the corners, or barrelling down the wing with defenders hanging off him. Going to be a heart and soul player who takes his game up in big games and big moments. Sure to be a captain in the NHL and probably at a very young age.

5. Dalibor Dvorsky C 6'1 - Looks to be a bit of a drop-off after the top four, Dvorsky and Ritchie are either at the tail end of that tier or the top of the next tier. What more could you ask for than a 6'1, 200 lb goal-scoring center with franchise upside? His hockey IQ is off the charts; neither his shot or skating are elite, but he scores a ton of goals just by being around the net in the right place at the right time.

6. Calum Ritchie C 6'2 - Both highly skilled centers with projectable frames, but whereas Dvorsky plays more of a simple, straight-line, get-around-the-net kind of game, Calum Ritchie brings more flash and creativity with the puck.

7. Eduard Sale LW 6'1 So far this season he's up there among the all-time best p/g by a U18 in the top Czech league. Also put up stunning numbers at the U18s this past spring as an under-ager. He's obviously immensely skilled, but I feel like the power element to his game is being overlooked so far.

8. Will Smith - C 6' - His rate of production at the NCAA level so far this year is almost unheard of for a U18. I have to go back to Jack Hughes to find anything comparable. Not quite as flashy or purely skilled as Ritchie and not as able as Dvorsky to create offence while being responsible with the puck, but he is among the best in the draft in both categories.

9. Brayden Yager C 6' - Not the smoothest skater in the draft and needs a ton of bulking up, but his hockey IQ is through the roof and he's elite in pretty much every other category.

10. Aram Minnetian RD 6' - Not only does he have the skill and the smarts to be an elite offensive defenseman, he has the desire to skate the puck out of his zone and lead he rush every chance he gets. As a converted forward his defensive game is still a work in progress but he has the hockey IQ to figure it out and he's really focusing in on it so far this season.

11. Kasper Halttunen LW 6'3 - Not the most purely skilled player listed so far, but he takes good advantage of his size to play a highly translatable game. Plays fast, plays hard, gets around the net and can make plays inside, protects the puck, battles well.

12. Matthew Wood F 6'3 - Doesn't really stand out in any particular area but has a very well-rounded skillset.

13. Colby Barlow RW 6'1 - Another big goal-scoring winger who uses his size well. When he's on his game he can be a bit of a live-wire or bull in a china shop - ferocious in pursuit of the puck and driving the net. Needs to harness that power and bring it with more structure and consistency.

14. Lukas Dragicevic RD 6'2 - He seems to take a lot of criticism for his defensive play, but we saw the same with Korchinski last year and how NHL teams focus on the raw tools and trust they can develop the player. Now Dragicevik certainly isn't as dynamic as Korchinski, but he's a smooth-skating 6'2 right shot defenseman who sees and understands the game very well in those two crucial areas for an offensive defenseman - out of the hotzone and from the powerplay point.

15. Quentin Musty LW 6'2 - Similar to Miroshnichenko last year, he has that combination of skill and power that seem so hopeful, but he relies too much on his skill and doesn't use his power nearly enough. With Miro I at least saw enough of it to know he has it in him, those glimpses are few and far between for Musty.

16. Zach Benson C 5'10

17. Mikhail Gulyayev LD 5'10

18. Cam Allen RD 5'11

19. Charlie Stramel C 6'3 - Big body, highly intelligent, pretty good skills. Highly projectable player but I'm just not sure about the upside.

20. Otto Stenberg C/W 5'11

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):

Nate Danielson C/W 6'1

Daniil But LW 6'5

Ethan Gauthier RW

Ryan Leonard C/RW 5'11

Theo Lindstein LD 6'

Max Strbak RD 6'2

Koehn Ziemmer RW 6'

Haven’t seen a lost that didn’t have Cameron Allen I. The top 10 let alone not in the top 25.

don’t like his game?

the Joe Sakic / Bure blend stylistic comparison to bedard I like. Factor that in with the home town roots and our losing streak rn he does sound like the chosen one hahah

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Considering the Canucks' start to the season, now seems like a good time to post my latest list. I'm pretty behind on scouting this year compared to where I was this time last year, so rather than try to do a full first round I'm just gonna do a top 20 so that I'm sure I've seen at least a little bit of every player and can make somewhat informed assessments:

1. Connor Bedard C 5'9 - The way I look at it, to be a generational talent a player would have to be at least elite in every relevant category, and in one or two categories they should stand out as generational. For both Bedard and Michkov one of those attributes is skating. I liken it to the 2020 draft and comparing Lucas Raymond's explosive shiftiness vs. Tim Stutzle's razor-smooth edges, but on another level. The last two Canadian generational prospects (Crosby, McDavid) were playmakers first and foremost and the best in the world at controlling play with the puck; although Bedard is obviously elite making plays with the puck, he is more of a goal-scorer first, and is expected to be the best in the world at controlling play and creating offence without the puck. He has that shiftiness and awareness that he seems to suddenly materialize in scoring areas as the puck is arriving. And he has that explosive first step and change of direction that allows him to get to pucks few other players would get to. And then there's his shot. Kid can score goals from anywhere, at any angle and any body position. Parts Joe Sakic and parts Pavel Bure.

2. Matvei Michkov RW 5'10 - As impressive as Bedard's skating is, his bread and butter is his shot. But while Michkov's shot is elite in his own right, the thing that sets him apart is his skating agility and edges. I said about Eklund in his draft year he was the most impressive prospect at that age I've seen in years at manipulating the corners with his edgework - Michkov takes it to another level. Parts Crosby and Jeff Skinner. Just an absolute whirlwind below the goal line. He also loves to attack defenders off the rush and will find and expose any open space to go through multiple defenders. I am often the first to scrutinize prospects who are overzealous with puck, but really it's just about a player knowing the limits of their skill and as they move up levels adjusting to how much they can get away with. Michkov is going to be that one in ten thousand, like a Patrick Kane or Kucherov or McDavid, who can make something out of nothing against any defender at any level.

3. Leo Carlsson C 6'3 - It happens to be a Bedard/Michkov year, but in most drafts Carlsson and Fantilli could both be favorites to go first overall. His SHL p/g so far this season is matched all-time for U19s only by Tomas Sandstrom, Markus Naslund, Daniel Sedin and William Nylander. But Carlsson is a 6'3 super mutant. One of the smoothest skating forwards in the draft; there were times watching Sweden's U18 team last year where I would think for a long moment it was Noah Ostlund weaving the puck through the neutral zone, only to realize it was Carlsson. I'd like to see him be a little more physical with then puck on his stick but for the most part he uses his size very well, and his combination of power and elusiveness is extremely rare. Shades of guys like Eichel and MacKinnon.

4. Adam Fantilli C 6'2 - Fantilli is a pure power forward with a mean streak who hits like a truck. Separates puck from bodies and then is able to make plays in tight spaces. Practically unstoppable taking the puck to the net out of the corners, or barrelling down the wing with defenders hanging off him. Going to be a heart and soul player who takes his game up in big games and big moments. Sure to be a captain in the NHL and probably at a very young age.

5. Dalibor Dvorsky C 6'1 - Looks to be a bit of a drop-off after the top four, Dvorsky and Ritchie are either at the tail end of that tier or the top of the next tier. What more could you ask for than a 6'1, 200 lb goal-scoring center with franchise upside? His hockey IQ is off the charts; neither his shot or skating are elite, but he scores a ton of goals just by being around the net in the right place at the right time.

6. Calum Ritchie C 6'2 - Both highly skilled centers with projectable frames, but whereas Dvorsky plays more of a simple, straight-line, get-around-the-net kind of game, Calum Ritchie brings more flash and creativity with the puck.

7. Eduard Sale LW 6'1 So far this season he's up there among the all-time best p/g by a U18 in the top Czech league. Also put up stunning numbers at the U18s this past spring as an under-ager. He's obviously immensely skilled, but I feel like the power element to his game is being overlooked so far.

8. Will Smith - C 6' - His rate of production at the NCAA level so far this year is almost unheard of for a U18. I have to go back to Jack Hughes to find anything comparable. Not quite as flashy or purely skilled as Ritchie and not as able as Dvorsky to create offence while being responsible with the puck, but he is among the best in the draft in both categories.

9. Brayden Yager C 6' - Not the smoothest skater in the draft and needs a ton of bulking up, but his hockey IQ is through the roof and he's elite in pretty much every other category.

10. Aram Minnetian RD 6' - Not only does he have the skill and the smarts to be an elite offensive defenseman, he has the desire to skate the puck out of his zone and lead he rush every chance he gets. As a converted forward his defensive game is still a work in progress but he has the hockey IQ to figure it out and he's really focusing in on it so far this season.

11. Kasper Halttunen LW 6'3 - Not the most purely skilled player listed so far, but he takes good advantage of his size to play a highly translatable game. Plays fast, plays hard, gets around the net and can make plays inside, protects the puck, battles well.

12. Matthew Wood F 6'3 - Doesn't really stand out in any particular area but has a very well-rounded skillset.

13. Colby Barlow RW 6'1 - Another big goal-scoring winger who uses his size well. When he's on his game he can be a bit of a live-wire or bull in a china shop - ferocious in pursuit of the puck and driving the net. Needs to harness that power and bring it with more structure and consistency.

14. Lukas Dragicevic RD 6'2 - He seems to take a lot of criticism for his defensive play, but we saw the same with Korchinski last year and how NHL teams focus on the raw tools and trust they can develop the player. Now Dragicevik certainly isn't as dynamic as Korchinski, but he's a smooth-skating 6'2 right shot defenseman who sees and understands the game very well in those two crucial areas for an offensive defenseman - out of the hotzone and from the powerplay point.

15. Quentin Musty LW 6'2 - Similar to Miroshnichenko last year, he has that combination of skill and power that seem so hopeful, but he relies too much on his skill and doesn't use his power nearly enough. With Miro I at least saw enough of it to know he has it in him, those glimpses are few and far between for Musty.

16. Zach Benson C 5'10

17. Mikhail Gulyayev LD 5'10

18. Cam Allen RD 5'11

19. Charlie Stramel C 6'3 - Big body, highly intelligent, pretty good skills. Highly projectable player but I'm just not sure about the upside.

20. Otto Stenberg C/W 5'11

Honorable mentions (in no particular order):

Nate Danielson C/W 6'1

Daniil But LW 6'5

Ethan Gauthier RW

Ryan Leonard C/RW 5'11

Theo Lindstein LD 6'

Max Strbak RD 6'2

Koehn Ziemmer RW 6'

pretty exciting top 10, any of those help us sooner than later.

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Haven’t seen a lost that didn’t have Cameron Allen I. The top 10 let alone not in the top 25.

don’t like his game?

the Joe Sakic / Bure blend stylistic comparison to bedard I like. Factor that in with the home town roots and our losing streak rn he does sound like the chosen one hahah

I have him 18. He's one of the top prospects I've seen the least of to be honest. Probably I need to watch more but from the little I've seen I just haven't been blown away. At least not enough to put him top 15 in such a stacked draft class.

But more than that, it is also related to where I think the game is trending, and I believe over the next few years it will be moving back away from small defensemen.

Lol would be pretty amazing if the Canucks actually landed Bedard somehow. As bad as they've been so far, I just can't quite see it.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have him 18. He's one of the top prospects I've seen the least of to be honest. Probably I need to watch more but from the little I've seen I just haven't been blown away. At least not enough to put him top 15 in such a stacked draft class.

But more than that, it is also related to where I think the game is trending, and I believe over the next few years it will be moving back away from small defensemen.

Lol would be pretty amazing if the Canucks actually landed Bedard somehow. As bad as they've been so far, I just can't quite see it.

I haven’t watched him myself but I’ve read he’s almost 6ft and almost 200lbs and lays out some big hits.

ya when you look at teams with big defences that can move the puck they are so hard to forecheck and battle with in the crease. Thinking of Carolina fresh off the top of my head here.

his stat line stinks right now but guelph doesn’t look like they are having a good start to the year 

I can’t see it either so maybe this is when it will finally happen. 

Bedard coming here would be insane.

although:

mitchkov

fantili

carlsson

dvorsky

ritchie

all look fantastic to me

7 hours ago, R3aL said:

I haven’t watched him myself but I’ve read he’s almost 6ft and almost 200lbs and lays out some big hits.

ya when you look at teams with big defences that can move the puck they are so hard to forecheck and battle with in the crease. Thinking of Carolina fresh off the top of my head here.

his stat line stinks right now but guelph doesn’t look like they are having a good start to the year 

I can’t see it either so maybe this is when it will finally happen. 

Bedard coming here would be insane.

although:

mitchkov

fantili

carlsson

dvorsky

ritchie

all look fantastic to me

Guelph not off to a great start, true. Yet Michael Buchinger is off to a hot start, leading the team in scoring as their top defenseman. Granted Buchinger is a year older, but due to the lost covid year, they're both in their 2nd OHL season. Allen also has the worst +/- on the team at -7 (edit: he caught another -3 tonight in a 7-1 loss so make that -10).

It's a weird draft year. Two likely generational prospects in Bedard and Michkov, another two that are not far off in Fantilli and Carlsson, and then a stable of other potential franchise centers and a fantastic mix of size and skilled forwards through the top 15-20. But although there's a lot of good defenseman, there just doesn't seem to be any who have stood out and separated themselves as blue-chip can't-miss picks. We know there's bound to end up being at least one or two go in the top 15, but the question is who?

I like Dragicevic quite a bit but he doesn't really blow me away either. Some similarities to Luneau, who I had in my top 20 most of last year and ended up falling to 53. Luneau is better defensively while Dragicevic is significantly better offensively, but the bread and butter for both is their transition game.

I'm going way out on a limb ranking Minnetian at 10 while he's not even ranked by any other sources. I suspect mainly people are put off by the jarring lack of production so far this year, but I predict he'll start soaring up all the rankings once the points start coming.

I'm curious to see who will be the big bodied defensemen to fly up the charts later in the season. There's always a couple (like Bichsel and Rinzel last year) who seem to be kept secret from the general public for a long time due to a lack of offensive production. Drew Fortescue and Max Strbak would be names to keep an eye on in that regard. A few other names to watch that I didn't rank here are Hunter Brzustewicz , Arttu Karki, Mazden Leslie, Etienne Morin and Axel Sandin-Pelikka.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Guelph not off to a great start, true. Yet Michael Buchinger is off to a hot start, leading the team in scoring as their top defenseman. Granted Buchinger is a year older, but due to the lost covid year, they're both in their 2nd OHL season. Allen also has the worst +/- on the team at -7 (edit: he caught another -3 tonight in a 7-1 loss so make that -10).

It's a weird draft year. Two likely generational prospects in Bedard and Michkov, another two that are not far off in Fantilli and Carlsson, and then a stable of other potential franchise centers and a fantastic mix of size and skilled forwards through the top 15-20. But although there's a lot of good defenseman, there just doesn't seem to be any who have stood out and separated themselves as blue-chip can't-miss picks. We know there's bound to end up being at least one or two go in the top 15, but the question is who?

I like Dragicevic quite a bit but he doesn't really blow me away either. Some similarities to Luneau, who I had in my top 20 most of last year and ended up falling to 53. Luneau is better defensively while Dragicevic is significantly better offensively, but the bread and butter for both is their transition game.

I'm going way out on a limb ranking Minnetian at 10 while he's not even ranked by any other sources. I suspect mainly people are put off by the jarring lack of production so far this year, but I predict he'll start soaring up all the rankings once the points start coming.

I'm curious to see who will be the big bodied defensemen to fly up the charts later in the season. There's always a couple (like Bichsel and Rinzel last year) who seem to be kept secret from the general public for a long time due to a lack of offensive production. Drew Fortescue and Max Strbak would be names to keep an eye on in that regard. A few other names to watch that I didn't rank here are Hunter Brzustewicz , Arttu Karki, Mazden Leslie, Etienne Morin and Axel Sandin-Pelikka.

We will se how the rest of his and their season goes I am going to try and watch him play a couple times this year. Because if we are picking 8-15 he could be an option.

How would you compare Fantail too Eichel in skill / potential and style? Ive only seen a little bit of him and I cant help but see similarities. 

I liked Luneau too hough he would go Lea firs for sure.

You know who is looking pretty good Owen Pickering. 

Minnetian is he sound defensively?

Always always are. Curious as well. 

I am all in favour of a retool and adding futures / prospect and rimming our fat. Hope we can add picks for this draft specifically. And the more we lose he more time I am going to spend looking into this draft class. To help stay optimistic and positive about our future as a club lol..

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

We will se how the rest of his and their season goes I am going to try and watch him play a couple times this year. Because if we are picking 8-15 he could be an option.

How would you compare Fantail too Eichel in skill / potential and style? Ive only seen a little bit of him and I cant help but see similarities. 

I liked Luneau too hough he would go Lea firs for sure.

You know who is looking pretty good Owen Pickering. 

Minnetian is he sound defensively?

Always always are. Curious as well. 

I am all in favour of a retool and adding futures / prospect and rimming our fat. Hope we can add picks for this draft specifically. And the more we lose he more time I am going to spend looking into this draft class. To help stay optimistic and positive about our future as a club lol..

Fantilli to Eichel? Yeah I can see where you're coming from, but Fantilli is more of a true power forward. I compared Carlsson to Eichel because while the power element is prominent it is secondary to the more evasive element. I'm having trouble coming up with a good comparison for Fantilli because I think there are so few players like him in today's NHL. More prone to go through guys than around them compared to Eichel or Carlsson. Plenty of speed and just barrels up the middle of the ice with defenders hanging off him at times. There's never going to be another Eric Lindros, and I'm not saying Fantilli is even anything close, but I think he's a little bit more up that alley than other franchise power centers to come along lately like MacKinnon, Eichel or Matthews.

Minnetian is pretty decent defensively, but definitely a work in progress. He's a converted forward but I'm not sure how long he has been a defenseman. He was on a line with Bedard at WSIs a few years back. I believe a major part of the reason his offensive output has been down so far this year is because they are focusing more on developing the defensive side for him, and I think it's worth noting he is leading the NTDP in +/-. One thing I like is he's proactive defensively. Likes to step up and be physical and disrupt. Can be a weakness if it is excessive and reckless, but it can be coached; he just wants to be a difference-maker all over the ice.

I'm at the point now where I hope they draft for position.

The Canucks need a future top 4 RD, and if they keep playing like they have, they might get a Top 5 pick. I think in that spot they would have to take Cameron Allen. There are a lot of right-shot Cs this year as well, probably 5 or 6 in the 1st round. VAN needs more picks. They aren't going deep into the playoffs, or making at at all, with this D core.

I keep thinking back to when JR came in and said the Canucks were not in a position to trade draft picks, they did it all wrong and weren't in that part of the cycle. Saying he wants to build a younger team, so they can grow and develop together. But then he gives a 30-year old player $56 million, signs Mikheyev to try and push for a playoff spot, trades an underperforming player and a 2nd round pick for a Dman barely able to play in the NHL. The D needed serious help and bringing in Stillman was his answer. 

No more slight wingers!

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hunter Brzustewicz

RHD, 6' 188 lbs.

2nd rounder (maybe 3rd)

11 points in 9 games with Kitchener.

How's that for a hockey name.

spacer.png

If we look like we're going to draft around 10th come trade deadline I wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade a couple players for a late 1st and a 2nd and going all in on RHD. I'm very tired of close to 20 years with no decent RHD in the system. The last RHD we drafted that was actually a useful contributer to the Canucks was Bieksa...

If we draft all of Cam Allen, Hunter Brzustewicz, Oliver Bonk, and Jordan Tourigny/Aram Minnetian for example you'd think at least one of them has to turn out.