The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 men charged with 1st-degree murder in shooting death of Ripudaman Singh Malik

Canuck You

Malik, 75, was shot several times on the morning of July 14 in Surrey, B.C.

CBC News · Posted: Jul 27, 2022 10:41 AM PT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
Ripudaman Singh Malik, centre, leaves B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver with his supporters on March 16, 2005, after he was found not guilty in the bombing of an Air India flight in 1985. Malik was shot dead on the morning of July 14. (Richard Lam/The Canadian Press)

Two men have been charged with first-degree murder in the targeted killing of Ripudaman Singh Malik, who was acquitted in the 1985 Air India bombings and shot dead on July 14 in in Surrey, B.C.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) said in news release Wednesday the charges have been laid against Tanner Fox, 21, and Jose Lopez, 23.

IHIT will be holding a press conference at 3 p.m. PT.

Malik, 75, was shot several times on the morning of July 14 outside his family business, Papillon Eastern Imports, on 128 Street in Surrey.

Malik and co-accused Ajaib Singh Bagri were acquitted in 2005 of mass murder and conspiracy charges related to a pair of bombings targeting Air India flights that killed 331 people, mostly from the Toronto and Vancouver areas.

In recent years, Malik served as chairman with Khalsa School and managed two of the private schools' campuses in Surrey and Vancouver. He was also president of the Surrey-based Khalsa Credit Union, which has more than 16,000 members.

6 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

So interestingly, a couple of close friends  were part of the team that helped setup network security for the prosecution office for this trial.

They both said long before the trial that they believed that the prosecution was going to lose, that they were approaching it as a slam dunk.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Insane that these guys gave up their whole lives to kill a man who would likely have died from old age in the next few years anyway.

Personally I believe that they were 'hired hit-men'. Possibly by someone holding a grudge from what happened to a family member during the bombings.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Insane that these guys gave up their whole lives to kill a man who would likely have died from old age in the next few years anyway.

They probably were hired as the hitmen for the job, looking for a big payday.  I remember reading about Bindy Johal back in the day, and he said he was getting paid between $250,000 to $500,000 per hit.  He then became the leader of the gang after taking out the leaders, John Gotti style.  They said Bindy was earning over $4 million per year including all the drug trafficking and extortions, and this was back in the 1990's.

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Do if these two “hit men” are convicted, how long do they serve?  Do they come out of prison in their 40’s so they can murder other people?  

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They probably were hired as the hitmen for the job, looking for a big payday.  I remember reading about Bindy Johal back in the day, and he said he was getting paid between $250,000 to $500,000 per hit.  He then became the leader of the gang after taking out the leaders, John Gotti style.  They said Bindy was earning over $4 million per year including all the drug trafficking and extortions, and this was back in the 1990's.

Not very good at their job if they got caught so quickly after.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do if these two “hit men” are convicted, how long do they serve?  Do they come out of prison in their 40’s so they can murder other people?  

I'm no criminal justice expert, but from what I recall, the maximum sentence in Canada is 25 years before parole is allowed. That said, it doesn't guarantee that parole will actually be given. I have to imagine that 1st degree murder would have a good chance of getting that maximum sentence and unless these guys show any degree of change, they won't be granted parole, so they could be in prison for more than 25 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Not very good at their job if they got caught so quickly after.

They are barely of legal age. I’m sure they had no clue what they were doing and just wanted the money. It may have been their first hit as an initiation into criminal life.  The ones who paid them to do it probably couldn’t find anyone competent who would want to kill a 75 year old man for a crime that happened 36 years ago. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are barely of legal age. I’m sure they had no clue what they were doing and just wanted the money. It may have been their first hit as an initiation into criminal life.  The ones who paid them to do it probably couldn’t find anyone competent who would want to kill a 75 year old man for a crime that happened 36 years ago. 

Yup very courageous act.  “Hey you two.”  “See that really old man sleeping on the park bench?”  ... 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup very courageous act.  “Hey you two.”  “See that really old man sleeping on the park bench?”  ... 

The hit men these days don’t seem to be very good at their jobs. I mean the two guys in Whistler were so dumb they couldn’t even figure out there is only one way to get out of Whistler on the sea to sky highway. I’m thinking more competent criminals would have had a helicopter or boat ready for their escape. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The hit men these days don’t seem to be very good at their jobs. I mean the two guys in Whistler were so dumb they couldn’t even figure out there is only one way to get out of Whistler on the sea to sky highway. I’m thinking more competent criminals would have had a helicopter or boat ready for their escape. 

Hopefully the persons who hired these two morons is equally stupid and the murder gets traced to them.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully the persons who hired these two morons is equally stupid and the murder gets traced to them.  

Considering these guys are so young and immature I would guess they will rat out the people who paid them to do the hit in return for a lighter sentence. The people who hired them would also be charged with 1st degree murder so I would rather they be put behind bars for life in return to have these kids serve a lighter sentence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Considering these guys are so young and immature I would guess they will rat out the people who paid them to do the hit in return for a lighter sentence. The people who hired them would also be charged with 1st degree murder so I would rather they be put behind bars for life in return to have these kids serve a lighter sentence. 

They likely don't even know who ordered the hit.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They likely don't even know who ordered the hit.

In that scenario they would rat out the intermediary. The intermediary would also be charged with 1st degree murder so it just goes up the ranks until you find the people who actually ordered the hit. 

It could get complicated though as it could involve people from out of country in India.  After 36 years it seems someone was still looking for revenge.