The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign Olli Juolevi

40 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

This guy is getting contracts solely based on draft status from 6 years ago 

re: 1999 NHL draft....

At one time or another, we've had 6 out of the 28 players drafted in that 1st round play for the Canucks.  Two of them are the HHOFer Sedins of course.  The most "successful" of the remaining lot was the "look into my beautiful blue eyes" Taylor Pyatt.:ph34r:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Olli going hard after the record for most teams ever played for. 

Mike Sillinger holds the record with 12. Olli will be heading to team number 4 at only 24 years old lol. If hes good enough to stick around the league he could easily break that record. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

re: 1999 NHL draft....

At one time or another, we've had 6 out of the 28 players drafted in that 1st round play for the Canucks.  Two of them are the HHOFer Sedins of course.  The most "successful" of the remaining lot was the "look into my beautiful blue eyes" Taylor Pyatt.:ph34r:

I thought his name was taylor "sorry, you must be thinking of my little brother" pyatt.

49 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Mike Sillinger holds the record with 12. Olli will be heading to team number 4 at only 24 years old lol. If hes good enough to stick around the league he could easily break that record. 

A guy like OJ likely goes home to Finland way before he ever reaches any kind of record like that.  

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I actually really hope this kid gets his game together. There was so much talent there, really unfortunate that he had to write of most of 2 seasons with major surgeries. He wasn't the same player after having that much work done on his knees, not sure if there's a way for them to rehabilitate them.

Was there? He was selected as a “safe” pick. Problem with safe picks is the low ceiling that comes with them. 

Primary concern at the time of the draft was that Olli was the main beneficiary of playing with Dvorak, Marner and Tkachuk. Boy was that ever true. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, guntrix said:

Was there? He was selected as a “safe” pick. Problem with safe picks is the low ceiling that comes with them. 

Primary concern at the time of the draft was that Olli was the main beneficiary of playing with Dvorak, Marner and Tkachuk. Boy was that ever true. 

Yup.  It’s been hashed over on here a lot.  Benning went to see the World Juniors.  Olli stood out to him.  So he overruled the scouts and picked the guy he wanted.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Calgary ranked him exactly equal with Tkachuk. He was selected to fill a role that we needed, someone who could settle down a game and close it out. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3