The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Danton Heinen

8 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

And why didn't we bring this guy home to BC??  Even at $1.5M, still a great bargain for a guy who scored 18 goals, 33 pts... 

Is it possible the brain-trust was just waiting for the Pens to sign him that they can do a deal that includes Heinen?

8 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

And why didn't we bring this guy home to BC??  Even at $1.5M, still a great bargain for a guy who scored 18 goals, 33 pts... 

We almost have too many depth forwards now, he probably didn’t see a fit even if they were interested.

Aren’t we at like 45 contracts too?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We almost have too many depth forwards now, he probably didn’t see a fit even if they were interested.

Aren’t we at like 45 contracts too?

My point is, we almost never managed to find good  FA bargains... Both Heinen and Donato were UFA's...  Looking at their production, they could sadly be our top 6 outscoring the likes of Pearson and Hoglander!! 

11 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I know, another slightly undersized left shot winger is a real missed opportunity for us.

/s

Wow - that's really cheap.

If you look at this guy's career ppg, he's almost a point-every-other-game player. That's elite 3rd line production, but really closer to 2nd line production. 

For 1 million? Great signing by the Pens.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I know, another slightly undersized left shot winger is a real missed opportunity for us.

/s

I get your point... but you missed mine! I was saying... for under $2M, you could have gotten a guy that put up 30+ points a season... and THAT'S like our current top 6 production out of Pearson/Hoglander.... pathetic!

32 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I get your point... but you missed mine! I was saying... for under $2M, you could have gotten a guy that put up 30+ points a season... and THAT'S like our current top 6 production out of Pearson/Hoglander.... pathetic!

I know, its just how many picks would you like to burn to make the cap space to bring him in?

14 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Is it possible the brain-trust was just waiting for the Pens to sign him that they can do a deal that includes Heinen?

Keep hoping.  This brain trust isn't doing anything for awhile.  They're on summer holidays.

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I know, its just how many picks would you like to burn to make the cap space to bring him in?

Well.. true... but looking at the Lazar signing.. multi-year, at $1M AAV... we could have found a similar guy accepting $750k?? and keep taking that approach to fill out the bottom 6... you will always see teams landing veterans capable of scoring 35-40 pts acceping a 1-year, $1M ish deals... but sadly we never had!!

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Well.. true... but looking at the Lazar signing.. multi-year, at $1M AAV... we could have found a similar guy accepting $750k?? and keep taking that approach to fill out the bottom 6... you will always see teams landing veterans capable of scoring 35-40 pts acceping a 1-year, $1M ish deals... but sadly we never had!!

can Heinan play as a C and is he as good as Lazar forechecking and hit as much?  I would guess that was the valuation vs a player like Heinan. We should be OK on the scoring winger front, we really needed more grit. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JM_ said:

can Heinan play as a C and is he as good as Lazar forechecking and hit as much?  I would guess that was the valuation vs a player like Heinan. We should be OK on the scoring winger front, we really needed more grit. 

Oh yaaaa... if Lazar provides tons more toughness than Highmore + Lammikko combined... then we good!!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

40 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Oh yaaaa... if Lazar provides tons more toughness than Highmore + Lammikko combined... then we good!!

Things also fluctuate as any market does. Heinen didn't sign for ages, presumably seeking a bit more money or term, and eventually had to settle. Lazar fit a lot of the needs the Canucks had so there was a bit more pressure to act, as @JM_ has basically stated. Lazar: RH C, PK abilities, remade himself as a very physical depth forward, from B.C., on a multi-year bury-able contract that will have low waiver risk. Heinen doesn't really displace any of Kuz, Boes, Pearson, Garland, Podkolzin, Mikheyev, Hoglander on the wing so it's not really a need. If Canucks are going for a cheap vet still on the market, Aston Reese, Schevnikov & Rodrigues are all still sitting there.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I think it’s because management is having a tough time moving salary out where they feel we’re getting good value on our players. Teams are weaponizing cap space and when Vegas is giving away Pacioretty for free and Columbus giving away Bjorkstrand for pennies it’s hard to find value on a good player like Garland without taking any cap back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think it’s because management is having a tough time moving salary out where they feel we’re getting good value on our players. Teams are weaponizing cap space and when Vegas is giving away Pacioretty for free and Columbus giving away Bjorkstrand for pennies it’s hard to find value on a good player like Garland without taking any cap back.

I’m not sure Garland is the issue so much as Myers, Dickinson, Pearson and Poolman. Pearson and Myers being the main two I would be fine to keep. 

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m not sure Garland is the issue so much as Myers, Dickinson, Pearson and Poolman. Pearson and Myers being the main two I would be fine to keep. 

Well I think those guys were the dream to get rid of but who really wants those assets while also giving no salary back especially with comparable or better guys through free agency with a chance at a nicer contract term.

22 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

My point is, we almost never managed to find good  FA bargains... Both Heinen and Donato were UFA's...  Looking at their production, they could sadly be our top 6 outscoring the likes of Pearson and Hoglander!! 

On  NHL radio they were saying that Heinan was asking for $3m and that he ended up taking a haircut to play for the Pens. A few other guys including Malkin settled for less to play there as well.