The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL for PP1?

Rate this topic

Angry Goose

1838E25C-39F9-4FC0-AD00-2EBA7BD84BAD.thumb.jpeg.a831e12e50e98b28468a0c3ab07be0c2.jpeg

(Sorry Motte)

Hughes is awesome I know that.

But OEL is a dang good PP quarterback as well.  

Im curious whether OEL playing PP1 could shift Hughes focus to 5 on 5 & PK/PP2.  Hughes is at that point in his career where he can really be an impact player playing the most difficult minutes.  OEL I think to be the most effective needs to have his mins managed/role shifted a bit. 

My questions are:

Does Hughes need to be on PP1 to be an offensive difference maker?

Does PP1 need Hughes to be successful? Can OEL effectively replace QH on that unit?

Could we see a more effective PP2 with Hughes on it?

Would the shift help the Canucks/Hughes/OEL be more overall productive in terms of fatigue/production?

Discuss.

• Cheers 1

Why not have two PP1s? Just double shift Petey :D

In seriousness it depends on the roster we start the season with.

As it stands, I think the answer to this will depend on the quality of forwards on PP2 and how well Hughes can work with then. I thinK ideally we should aim to have two equally threatening PPs with our forward depth. And alternate the PP units or split the PP ice times evenly

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

I would just have both OEL and Hughes on PP1.  They offer elite PP ability and would complement each other well.  Would be nice to have OEL on the point and Hughes as a rover on PP1.  They could offset each other on the rush and zone entry to mix it up a bit too.

• Cheers 2

Just leave OEL on PP2, he ain't beating Hughes for that spot. We have enough depth at forward now to ice 2 really good powerplay units, with the likes of Garland, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Hoglander, potentially Rathbone filling out the rest of that unit.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Assuming Miller is moved for Severson ++  I would have the following PP units:

PP1 - OEL, Hughes, Kurmenko, Pettersson, Boeser

PP2 - Rathbone, Garland, Podkolzin, Horvat, Mikheyev 

Severson would likely fit in here as somebody would likely be injured or underperforming.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Why not have two PP1s? Just double shift Petey :D

In seriousness it depends on the roster we start the season with.

As it stands, I think the answer to this will depend on the quality of forwards on PP2 and how well Hughes can work with then. I thinK ideally we should aim to have two equally threatening PPs with our forward depth. And alternate the PP units or split the PP ice times evenly

You know, we're only about 3 players away from being able to ice a full PP1 of Elias Petterssons.

Pettersson, over to Pettersson, across to Pettersson, back to Pettersson at the point, shoots, SCORES!!! What a nice tip in front from Pettersson....

;)

Get er done, JR, clone them if you have to....

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Haha 2

I much much preferred having OEL on PP1 as opposed to Hughes.  

Hughes was really good for zone entries, and he is excellent and holding the puck in at the line.  Nothing wrong with Hughes on PP1 however we're wasting away OEL's talents by not having him on PP1.  

QH is a good pick distributor.  But he lacks the lethal shot at the point.  He can get a shot through sometimes but nobody’s afraid to block it.  OEL has the better shot.

But if QH is on PP2, his point totals will go down for sure.  

Assuming Miller is traded…

PP1

Pearson

Boeser Horvat EP

OEL 

PP2

Garland

Kuz Mik Podz

QH 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

QH is a good pick distributor.  But he lacks the lethal shot at the point.  He can get a shot through sometimes but nobody’s afraid to block it.  OEL has the better shot.

But if QH is on PP2, his point totals will go down for sure.  

Assuming Miller is traded…

PP1

Pearson

Boeser Horvat EP

OEL 

PP2

Garland

Kuz Mik Podz

QH 

Id also just like to mention OEL is an elite passer too.  I think youre right that QH’s mobility is a +, but OELs passes are so quick and on the tape.  His wrist shot as we’ve seen creates havoc.  

Its a tough call really.  Both have their strengths.  I was wondering though if QH’s mins are better reserved for tough 5 on 5 or PK mins.  He’s young and got the energy to do it compared to OEL. And Id be curious how the PP does with OEL qb-ing it. If there’s no drop off-win win.

can someone tell me the reasoning they want to replace OEL with Hughes on the PP1? we have the 9th best powerplay in the league and it's working because it's mostly Hughes setting up miller to whomever else or Hughes to EP for the 1 timer. replacing Hughes with OEL yes you get the big shot every once in a while.. but the powerplay setup isn't one of those that will swarm for the rebound if it doesn't go in. i honestly don't see the powerplay with be any difference with Hughes or OEL on the point in terms of production from the 1st line.. seems like we are forcing OEL on the 1st line just to increase his point total at the same time taking away from QH... if the PP was sucking all season.. ya i'm all for trying it out.. but it's not.. so i really don't see the point.. it's like ppl want to see a change just for the sake of seeing a change.

• Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

can someone tell me the reasoning they want to replace OEL with Hughes on the PP1? we have the 9th best powerplay in the league and it's working because it's mostly Hughes setting up miller to whomever else or Hughes to EP for the 1 timer. replacing Hughes with OEL yes you get the big shot every once in a while.. but the powerplay setup isn't one of those that will swarm for the rebound if it doesn't go in. i honestly don't see the powerplay with be any difference with Hughes or OEL on the point in terms of production from the 1st line.. seems like we are forcing OEL on the 1st line just to increase his point total at the same time taking away from QH... if the PP was sucking all season.. ya i'm all for trying it out.. but it's not.. so i really don't see the point.. it's like ppl want to see a change just for the sake of seeing a change.

You're not wrong, we have had a pretty good PP last year.  

I just liked the way our PP looked with OEL so thats my reason. More direct and a bigger shot from the point.  However I totally get your point of view. 

7 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I agree OEL is a better fit and good passer. Our issue imo is a lack of centre on the 2nd unit. Between Miller and Horvat they need to be split up.

Miller plays the key

Boeser and Petey on the sides

OEL + Garland

Horvat

Kuzmenko Podkolzin Mikheyev or Pearson

Hughes

so you are taking your 2 most productive PP guy and splitting them up just for the 2mins or so pp time pp2 gets? so you take out the most effective bumper guy on pp1 off and i'm guessing we are just going to be a perimeter team on pp1 shooting from the point and beyond the faceoff circle?

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you are taking your 2 most productive PP guy and splitting them up just for the 2mins or so pp time pp2 gets? so you take out the most effective bumper guy on pp1 off and i'm guessing we are just going to be a perimeter team on pp1 shooting from the point and beyond the faceoff circle?

Or we have to figure a way out so our 2nd unit wins a faceoff that isnt dickinson or lazar