The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) The perfect, yet affordable defence partner for QH

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Whew! I thought you were going to suggest a trade with CGY to get Tanev back.

Not a bad idea, but is Murphy a top pairing (or Top 4) Dman? I know he was the #2RD in CHI, but that was CHI. 

Is Schenn a top4 pairing D? 

Don't get me wrong I'm totally willing to run that pairing back. Probably one of the best value cap wise D pairings in the league. 

Combined 85 points both solid plusses with Schenn laying the bod 292 hitz. Around the league 8.7m is a frickin bargain. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We said that about Marino too. I was so sure that he was going to start the season in blue and green that I would have put money on it.

Probably a pretty fair swap of him for Garland (the fact that Bratt remains an RFA despite them having $8 million + indicates they'll probably trade him if the standstill persists, and if that move happens I really hope Allvin pounces on that swap to get their RHD).

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't know the player all that well, but taking a look at Lyubushkin's numbers, deployment, corsi, etc etc etc...I'm not seeing anything their that tells me he's the answer to our problems. Is he really much of an upgrade on Poolman? 

Lyubushkin and Murphy both have terrible analytics.  Neither are puck movers either.  I was listening to 650 and they had someone on, can't remember who it was, and he basically said Murphy has one of the worst zone exits in the entire NHL.  I don't have those numbers so I'm not sure if this is true or not...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Connor Murphy isn't much better than Tucker Poolman when both are fully healthy...

So just looked up last 4 seasons for Connor Murphy 29, 6'4, 218 lbs, RD-- 4 yrs X 4.4 million

last 4 seasons GP -- 52---58--50--57 The guy is hurt all the time.......BIG BIG NO

• Cheers 1

I think Murphy would be a shrewd move and a great fit with Quinn as well. I think @BigTramFan made a similar proposal last month. I think Murphy would waive to get out of Chicago. I don't think this package is quite enough to get him if Chicago does ask him to waive and puts him on the market. Altho he's injury prone, Schenn can step in and play with Quinn, its' not ideal to have Schenn as a top pairing partner for the whole season but this would be an upgrade.

Don't see them being interested in Hoggie really, they just traded Hagel and DeBrincat assumedly cuz they wanna go full rebuild. Hoggie is a couple years younger tho, so maybe if their scouting department really likes him. Dickie has negative value and will cost at least a 3rd, likely a bit more, to sweeten and move IMO. I think a 2nd 2024 (Allvin won't wanna give up the 2023 2nd rounder I don't think) + a 3rd rounder straight across for Murphy would maybe do it.

Murphy also has some familiarity within the org. Like JT he's from Ohio, and they played together on the same US development squad. He was a long-term teammate of OEL's in Phoenix, had a big role under Abbotsford coach Colliton when Colliton coached Chitown and was sometimes paired with new Canuck Kalynuk in Chicago too.

• Thanks 2

I like Stralman on a cheap 7th d nan.  He could move up the rotation  in case of injuries.  He seems to have been around forever, but I think he is only 34.

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

What do you think Anton Stralman (UFA Anton Stralman. Position: D • Shoots: Right. 5-11, 186lb (180cm, 84kg). Born: August 1, 1986 in Tibro, Sweden 34 years old might have left in the tank and what might get him to come to NHL Team Sweden Canucks?

kind of a poor man's Klingberg. 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Severson is the future partner for Quinn.  Just a matter of when.

We could corner the market on Damien/Daimon just like we did a few seasons ago on the Tylers (Myers, Motte, Madden, Graovac, Toffoli)

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2022 at 6:41 AM, Goal:thecup said:

What do you think Anton Stralman (UFA Anton Stralman. Position: D • Shoots: Right. 5-11, 186lb (180cm, 84kg). Born: August 1, 1986 in Tibro, Sweden 34 years old might have left in the tank and what might get him to come to NHL Team Sweden Canucks?

On 7/30/2022 at 7:37 AM, nameci said:

I like Stralman on a cheap 7th d nan.  He could move up the rotation  in case of injuries.  He seems to have been around forever, but I think he is only 34.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:09 AM, JM_ said:

kind of a poor man's Klingberg. 

Anytime before 2018 I would have been stoked on a Stralman signing; but his defensive game has completely collapsed due to injuries, aging, speed. I don't really see the Klingberg comparison. A comparable player that comes to mind for me is a smaller Sami Salo, not really a PMD, but drives play in the defensive zone and can play the point well.

Unfortunately at this point in Stralman's career, I don't see him as an upgrade over Schenn, Dermott, Burroughs or even Juulsen on Rathbone's right-hand side.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-11.44.56-AM.pn

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 6:45 AM, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Anytime before 2018 I would have been stoked on a Stralman signing; but his defensive game has completely collapsed due to injuries, aging, speed. I don't really see the Klingberg comparison. A comparable player that comes to mind for me is a smaller Sami Salo, not really a PMD, but drives play in the defensive zone and can play the point well.

Unfortunately at this point in Stralman's career, I don't see him as an upgrade over Schenn, Dermott, Burroughs or even Juulsen on Rathbone's right-hand side.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-11.44.56-AM.pn

Agreed. Calvin De Haan would be an interesting pickup though if he's willing to take a two-way deal. LHD but can apparently play on the right, defense-first, hits hard, upgrade on Schenn i think.

I also hope Dermott gets a shot to play beside OEL. He's defensively responsible and a good puck mover. Would free up Myers to play alongside Rathbone which would be a lethal third pairing.