The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign John Klingberg

26 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t think so. Maybe a 2nd at most. The guy was playing in a good team and his numbers weren’t really that good. What makes you think he will have the same numbers or better this year in a garbage team like in Anaheim?

He'll easily fetch more than a 2nd at the TDL if he's retained.

28 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Smart move by Anaheim.

Have him play there until the deadline.  Unload him for the pro-rated amount to a contender for a huge haul.  (Even retain salary so they can fit him under the cap for a playoff run)

My guess he would fetch:

1st round pick

2nd round pick

A grade prospect

Everyone wants a RHD 

26 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t think so. Maybe a 2nd at most. The guy was playing in a good team and his numbers weren’t really that good. What makes you think he will have the same numbers or better this year in a garbage team like in Anaheim?

I don't think we really know what he'll fetch right now; trade market really depends on what contenders need at the time, plus he needs to be scoring a decent rate running Anaheim's PP1 with Cam Fowler to be seen as a valuable addition. If he can bring his defensive play back to pre-Bowness day, his value could shoot up too.

Could be anywhere from a 2nd and a middling player (a la Taylor Hall to Bruins) to a 1st + 2nd plus a young depth player (a la Hampus Lindholm).  

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Have a feeling this is in JT's near future as well. 

Every player just needs to understand teams don't want you on long term and high dollar past 34/35 yo. Everyone would love to get bought out at the tail end of their career, While sitting at home making millions. Doesn't help the league at all.

I wish they would cap contracts. Regardless of age you can't sign a deal that takes you past 35. After that it's max 2 year deals. Something like that anyways 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Really glad we didn't have any interest in him. He ain't worth $7M for all the pucks that will be going into his own net when he is on the ice, and his zone entry and advanced stats last season and playoffs were pretty terrible for a supposed $7M player. He is good offensively but not sure that outweighs the bad parts of his game.

Edited by Laheys Liquor
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Could just be a 1 year deal with the plan to sign with us next year when it's easier to move Myers.  Moving to the west coast could just be step 1. ::D

Again, I would like what he brings to our team, but only if we secure a top 2/4 defensive or two way RD for Quinn.  Severson this year and Klingberg next year.

18 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Could just be a 1 year deal with the plan to sign with us next year when it's easier to move Myers.  Moving to the west coast could just be step 1. ::D

Again, I would like what he brings to our team, but only if we secure a top 2/4 defensive or two way RD for Quinn.  Severson this year and Klingberg next year.

We need to get younger on D not just move deck chairs.  If we were a contender, maybe but we arent a contender.

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Every player just needs to understand teams don't want you on long term and high dollar past 34/35 yo. Everyone would love to get bought out at the tail end of their career, While sitting at home making millions. Doesn't help the league at all.

I wish they would cap contracts. Regardless of age you can't sign a deal that takes you past 35. After that it's max 2 year deals. Something like that anyways 

NHLPA would never allow that.

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Man.. cap is king in this NHL. Bet Ducks flip him at the deadline for a haul. Great move by them.

If they aren’t in the playoffs at the deadline… Klingberg with 50% retained would get them a serious return.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I am an outlier calling the Ducks as a bubble team, playoff possible team.

Their drafting the last 4 years plus trades that net then prospects/youth have them years ahead of the Canucks in terms of prospect depth and skill.

I'd say the Pacific didn't get any easier this year at all

• Upvote 1