The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign John Klingberg

8 minutes ago, mll said:

They are not allowed to talk extension before - some teams don't necessarily follow the rules though but some do.  Sweeney confirmed that he can't talk to Pastrnak about an extension before mid-July for example - Allan Walsh probably wouldn't allow him to either. 

well yeah, it would definitely require some wink wink, nudge nudge. 

30 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Anaheim was one of only two teams that actually needed to spend some money to get the floor. So they did, as noted by @Ilya Mikheyev without taking on any future liabilities--just one year. And, as has been mentioned, they can probably trade him for some sort of asset at the deadline. So the move makes sense for Anaheim, but would not make sense for any other team as 7M is too much for what Klingberg is likely to bring to the table.

Klingberg's defensive numbers were terrible last year and pretty bad for a couple of years before that. (On Dallas he had a team-worst plus/minus of -28 last year and, more significantly, had a team worst xGA/60 of 3.22.  Like I said those are terrible numbers. And he does not make a lot of hits.

Stopping a goal is just as important as getting a goal, but in the UFA market offensive skill get overweighted relative to defensive skills, and Klingberg's contract indicates that. 

Even so, obviously no team was willing to make an offer with significant term. 

One perspective is that he is "betting on himself" to have a bounceback year this year (at age 30) and get a longer term deal next summer. 

My perspective is that is more like a case of "take the money and run". Next summer I expect that he will settle for a lower number but taking 7 million now on a 1-year deal is probably his best strategy.

Credit to his new agent. This is more than Klingberg deserves based on his recent play. 

50% retained is 3.5m for a top 4 d, if not 1st pairing. Add RHD scarcity. 

They'll be fine. It's free asset to flip. 

34 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Must be nice to add $7 million to your payroll, and still have $19 million in cap space.

And likely retain and flip Klingberg for a 1st at the TDL unless Ducks are near top of our division. Bottom feeder rebuilding teams should have cap space and should only really sign guys to 1 or 2 year deals and trade them to recoup picks...something our old GM did the polar opposite of and finally got fired...just should have been done the prior off season then we would have 12m more to use this year if we wanted to!

• Thanks 1

I love social media, According to most every single other team will have no problem flipping their 29+ yo's on their final year for 1sts ++ at the TDL, Except those canucks. Miller will be injuried and or fall off a cliff points wise. Hahaha what a time to be alive 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I love social media, According to most every single other team will have no problem flipping their 29+ yo's on their final year for 1sts ++ at the TDL, Except those canucks. Miller will be injuried and or fall off a cliff points wise. Hahaha what a time to be alive 

you hit the nail on the head. Everyone is making it seem like these decisions are clear cut when they are not. Miller at the wrong price, term, injury or points fall off would be bad, but Miller with a decent price, term, minimal injury and minimal points fall off would be an asset. Imagine trying to OBTAIN a miller when we are contenders. You don't find them without massive overpayment, period.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

MacTavish, Perreault and a few others are more than ready to make the jump.  They've a few kids in the ahl ready to.  Made a number of decent signings as well.

If Gibson plays to form they'll be a bubble team or better.

Edmonton/Calgary

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Vancouver

Anaheim/Seattle

And even that's debatable if Demko or Miller don't play up

Vancouver/vegas

Calgary

Edmonton

Anaheim

LA

Seattle

i wouldn’t be shocked to see Anaheim leapfrog Calgary or Edmonton but I think that would be more dependent on those teams having meltdowns.  

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Very interesting terms.  

Usually no trades clauses kick in during the summer but with this being a one year deal, he has until January to pick 10 teams he doesn't want to go to. 

12 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Vancouver/vegas

Calgary

Edmonton

Anaheim

LA

Seattle

i wouldn’t be shocked to see Anaheim leapfrog Calgary or Edmonton but I think that would be more dependent on those teams having meltdowns.  

Biggest thing is health. Who stays healthy. Demko goes down, Season does too. Same for pretty much everyone. Even the rebuilding teams are pretty decent... Honestly only a handful of trash teams..

Cowgary had the least missed games, We as usual were top 5. I think that's a massive reason why we purged every behind the scenes employee lol