The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN signs UFA Motte

41 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

so what happens like what 1% of the time. cool story bro

I think less than 1% of the proposals posted on here will ever happen! But I post ideas of what I think could possibly happen and look to discuss with Canuck fans whether that would be a good or bad thing. Just saying that I think it would be a prudent move by mgmt to sign Motte. Thanks for the chat.

How do you modern analytics types think JR & Co's look into Motte's injury history and age project into next season?

Serious question; not trying to mock anybody; I just know they are working with way more data and analyses than I know anything about.

Motte played well for NY but was injured again for a short period; I wonder if this added to or confirmed their decision to trade him last year.

Under my old fart analysis, I thought it was a mistake to trade him for next to nothing and reduce our chances of making the playoffs last year.

The old 'can't let him walk for nothing' argument is getting very thin now that unsigned players are up against teams that are maxed out.

Even letting very good players walk for nothing is now being revalued in light of the current dearth of cap space league-wide. 

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

He's probably holding out for that sort of contract, but who is going to pay him that? 

If he hasn't received a better offer by now, then I think a short term $1.4m deal to a familiar team and surroundings might well suit him 

maybe pre covid cap he gets that? not now though. 

Seems like a few agents have led their clients down the wrong path this year, if we had something close to 2 mil on the table for him. 

They already made the tough call on Motte.  They would be fools to revisit

Also Highmore, Lammikko have moved on because they want more than $1M this year....good luck with that.  

Guys like this are available for $1M or less (usually less)  they're not going to play double.  It's the way NHL salaries have gone in the cap era.  The rich still get paid, there has been downward pressure on replacement level players salaries (most bottom 6 and 3rd pair.....except 3C) and there's still a mid level class but that's getting squeezed too.

• Upvote 1

I think Motte's value has dropped enough with the context of this summer that a >1.5 and 1-2 years is definitely in the realm of possibility as the OP suggests. I personally definitely wouldn't be against bringing him back for that amount, but I do get the sense Allvin has struggled to make the mark he wanted on the team due to the cap space context, and he'll likely go a different direction in ways that he can.

There's a few lingering UFAs I would be interested in over Motte for the 4th line. My FA wishlist for 4th line/13th forward in order would be:

1. Zach Aston-Reese
  2. Johan Larsson
  3. Michael Raffl
  4. Geno Svechnikov
  5. Juho Lammikko
  6. Tyler Motte
  7. Daniel Sprong
Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Thanks 1

It was widely rumored that the Canucks tried to extend Motte before trading him. It was believed that Canucks were offering something around 1.5 million and that Motte wanted something north of 2 million, which lead to him being flipped for a 4th round pick.

Motte and his agent, badly misread available cap to spend this off season. My guess is, he either signs for something closer to 950k range, or winds up taking a chance on the KHL, something not many players are doing right now with the war in Ukraine. 

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

It was widely rumored that the Canucks tried to extend Motte before trading him. It was believed that Canucks were offering something around 1.5 million and that Motte wanted something north of 2 million, which lead to him being flipped for a 4th round pick.

Motte and his agent, badly misread available cap to spend this off season. My guess is, he either signs for something closer to 950k range, or winds up taking a chance on the KHL, something not many players are doing right now with the war in Ukraine. 

I lean more toward the 950k - 1.125 range than KHL. Still some decent FAs out there and teams with bottom-six holes, or in Arizona's case maybe 2nd line RW.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

They already made the tough call on Motte.  They would be fools to revisit

Also Highmore, Lammikko have moved on because they want more than $1M this year....good luck with that.  

Guys like this are available for $1M or less (usually less)  they're not going to play double.  It's the way NHL salaries have gone in the cap era.  The rich still get paid, there has been downward pressure on replacement level players salaries (most bottom 6 and 3rd pair.....except 3C) and there's still a mid level class but that's getting squeezed too.

Highmore signed with St. Louis for $750k...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Motte is still a UFA. VAN should make an offer of $1.4m x 1 year. 

Motte would still be an excellent player to have on our 4th line and on the PK. He can step up to the 3rd line in emergency. And we can flip him to a contender again at the TDL if we wish.

Signing him at $1.4m would allow us to ice this lineup while remaining cap compliant:

Pearson Miller Garland

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin

Motte Joshua Lazar

(Dickinson or Hoglander)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Poolman

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin)

We don't need to sign Motte 5'10, 27yrs old.. Keep the 1.4 million and spend on a D man..

We have speed with, Hoglander 21, Joshua 26, 6'3 C/W,  Lazar 27, C/W, Dickinson 26, C/W, Lockwood 24, W there a 5 forwards we don't need to add Motte... 

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

We don't need to sign Motte 5'10, 27yrs old.. Keep the 1.4 million and spend on a D man..

We have speed with, Hoglander 21, Joshua 26, 6'3 C/W,  Lazar 27, C/W, Dickinson 26, C/W, Lockwood 24, W there a 5 forwards we don't need to add Motte... 

I bet Canucks were offering Motte at least 1.3 -- 1.5 Million last March?? He choose to try UFA and he is still not signed?

Motte had his chance and Management brought in size and more aggressive 4th liners with speed...

Lets move on from Motte who had his chance here....

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Joshua, Lazar and Dickinson are not fast skaters

$1.4m will get you another depth Dman to join Dermott, Burroughs, Poolman, Rathbone, Juulsen, Wolanin. Why would we want another depth Dman?

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Joshua, Lazar and Dickinson are not fast skaters

$1.4m will get you another depth Dman to join Dermott, Burroughs, Poolman, Rathbone, Juulsen, Wolanin. Why would we want another depth Dman?

Well if you listen to people that follow Canucks Joshua is a big fast forward on forecheck along with Lazar..Did Lazar not have most hits on Boston and he gets on forecheck? The forth line is better already then last year.. ? Dickinson is not that fastest but he isn't slow..

Adding another RD that adds toughness is not a bad thing..

Either way rather keep the 1.4 million then add more forwards just because we have cap space ? The 1.4 million Dollar player is not a game changers..

Keep the 1.4 million....

31 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Well if you listen to people that follow Canucks Joshua is a big fast forward on forecheck along with Lazar..Did Lazar not have most hits on Boston and he gets on forecheck? The forth line is better already then last year.. ? Dickinson is not that fastest but he isn't slow..

Adding another RD that adds toughness is not a bad thing..

Either way rather keep the 1.4 million then add more forwards just because we have cap space ? The 1.4 million Dollar player is not a game changers..

Keep the 1.4 million....

I like the additions of Joshua and Lazar. But I still think there is a role for Motte on our roster.

I listen to lots of people that follow the Canucks. Where is your source quoting that Dakota Joshua is a fast skater? Lazar is known to be a slow skater. Both guys hit and forecheck, doesn't mean they're fast. Having a quick skater on your 4th line is very helpful. I don't think a line of Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua is fast enough. Hoglander should not be anywhere near the 4th line. Lockwood may play on the 4th line, which brings a bit of speed, but he doesn't have the defensive awareness and scoring touch of Motte. That's just my opinion. I think a 4th line of Joshua-Lazar-Motte would be great.

We will already be operating in LTIR. So regardless of whether we spend the full $3.5m of cap relief that we get from Ferland or we don't spend $1.4m of it, there will be no cap savings to pay bonuses next season. From a cap perspective there is literally no point in not utilising $1.4m of the cap relief...

12 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I like the additions of Joshua and Lazar. But I still think there is a role for Motte on our roster.

I listen to lots of people that follow the Canucks. Where is your source quoting that Dakota Joshua is a fast skater? Lazar is known to be a slow skater. Both guys hit and forecheck, doesn't mean they're fast. Having a quick skater on your 4th line is very helpful. I don't think a line of Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua is fast enough. Hoglander should not be anywhere near the 4th line. Lockwood may play on the 4th line, which brings a bit of speed, but he doesn't have the defensive awareness and scoring touch of Motte. That's just my opinion. I think a 4th line of Joshua-Lazar-Motte would be great.

We will already be operating in LTIR. So regardless of whether we spend the full $3.5m of cap relief that we get from Ferland or we don't spend $1.4m of it, there will be no cap savings to pay bonuses next season. From a cap perspective there is literally no point in not utilising $1.4m of the cap relief...

I listen to sports net 650, they do have experts that know more then you and I???? 

So who is saying Joshua is slow? Big body fast on forecheck. makes big hits? All the shows on 650 were happy with Joshua? 

Motte is going to make the difference?? I don't think so...

20 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If Motte was so good would he not of been signed before August 1st?? 

We are fine without Motte sure he adds speed... Pk will is better already with Mikheyev and Lazar speed ...