The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN signs UFA Motte

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I like the additions of Joshua and Lazar. But I still think there is a role for Motte on our roster.

I listen to lots of people that follow the Canucks. Where is your source quoting that Dakota Joshua is a fast skater? Lazar is known to be a slow skater. Both guys hit and forecheck, doesn't mean they're fast. Having a quick skater on your 4th line is very helpful. I don't think a line of Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua is fast enough. Hoglander should not be anywhere near the 4th line. Lockwood may play on the 4th line, which brings a bit of speed, but he doesn't have the defensive awareness and scoring touch of Motte. That's just my opinion. I think a 4th line of Joshua-Lazar-Motte would be great.

We will already be operating in LTIR. So regardless of whether we spend the full $3.5m of cap relief that we get from Ferland or we don't spend $1.4m of it, there will be no cap savings to pay bonuses next season. From a cap perspective there is literally no point in not utilising $1.4m of the cap relief...

If your talking players that are slow it would be Pearson?  

On 7/30/2022 at 11:00 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

We are at $81.75 million without Ferland, which means we would be operating in LTIR next year which is not ideal.  We should be at $82.5 million WITH Ferland, or slightly below so we have some wiggle room in terms of calling guys up.  I highly doubt that JR wants to operate in LTIR money next year, which is why I was puzzled when he signed Mikheyev to that huge contract but didn't ship anyone out.

I'm assuming a trade is coming but with all the teams being tight with the cap it may not be possible to move any money out without money coming back in, so we may have no choice but to operate in LTIR next year.

Agreed. Is it worth moving out players if they are going to cost us some picks (even 3rd and 4th rounders)? 
I think it's unfortunate that moving out currently players also has a negative impact on our future... 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:33 PM, Oregon.Duck said:

Motte probably gets $2.5M-$3M. We can't afford that

With the losses from the pandemic bringing an almost flat cap once again, with the likelihood of an almost flat cap for a couple more years, so many teams are up against the cap that there aren't many teams looking to sign players right now, As a result the market for wingers has pretty much dried up.  Players aren't going to get what they'd expected.

Motte likely went into Free Agent Frenzy expecting the range you indicated, $2.5-$3 million.  In the present market he isn't getting it.  The $1.4 million  suggested by the original poster is very fair.

I doubt the Canucks will sign Motte, though.  They've already replaced him and would probably prefer to keep a little cap space (LTIR overage for Ferland,  perhaps Poolman and possibly more depending on who is injured in preseason) in case they can acquire a defenceman.

20 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I like the additions of Joshua and Lazar. But I still think there is a role for Motte on our roster.

I listen to lots of people that follow the Canucks. Where is your source quoting that Dakota Joshua is a fast skater? Lazar is known to be a slow skater. Both guys hit and forecheck, doesn't mean they're fast. Having a quick skater on your 4th line is very helpful. I don't think a line of Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua is fast enough. Hoglander should not be anywhere near the 4th line. Lockwood may play on the 4th line, which brings a bit of speed, but he doesn't have the defensive awareness and scoring touch of Motte. That's just my opinion. I think a 4th line of Joshua-Lazar-Motte would be great.

We will already be operating in LTIR. So regardless of whether we spend the full $3.5m of cap relief that we get from Ferland or we don't spend $1.4m of it, there will be no cap savings to pay bonuses next season. From a cap perspective there is literally no point in not utilising $1.4m of the cap relief...

what if we get an injury on D?

or another cap-strapped team wants to trade a $3M d man for Dermott?

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Then I would count that as utilising the cap relief

You have already spent $1,4 on Motte, where does the money literally come from?

you seem to be suggesting spending every dollar on Motte

On 7/31/2022 at 4:50 PM, wildcam said:

We don't need to sign Motte 5'10, 27yrs old.. Keep the 1.4 million and spend on a D man..

We have speed with, Hoglander 21, Joshua 26, 6'3 C/W,  Lazar 27, C/W, Dickinson 26, C/W, Lockwood 24, W there a 5 forwards we don't need to add Motte... 

We can move on from one or two of those guys .. Motte is a warrior.   Can't have too many guys like that if the post season is the goal.   If we can't fix the D, we can double down on guys who keep it out of the net ...  I'd do this deal no problem... 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We can move on from one or two of those guys .. Motte is a warrior.   Can't have too many guys like that if the post season is the goal.   If we can't fix the D, we can double down on guys who keep it out of the net ...  I'd do this deal no problem... 

the guy played 1/2 of the allotted games for the Canucks the last 3 season, and 1/2 the allotted regular season games for the Rangers and 3/4 of the Rangers playoff games

I don't know why you'd fall in love with a part time player

the guy is a cross between Tanev and Sutter

useful when he plays, but a 1/2 time guy

As Ken Dryden said about Ric Nattress, when a guy isn't there for you, you just forget about him

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

the guy played 1/2 of the allotted games for the Canucks the last 3 season, and 1/2 the allotted regular season games for the Rangers and 3/4 of the Rangers playoff games

I don't know why you'd fall in love with a part time player

the guy is a cross between Tanev and Sutter

useful when he plays, but a 1/2 time guy

As Ken Dryden said about Ric Nattress, when a guy isn't there for you, you just forget about him

We are talking about a close to league min signing, and our PK without Motte, Sutter and even LE from a couple seasons ago, was simply bad.   I'd prefer Sutter back if he could play but would bet money Motte could play a few more games then Mr Glass.    And yes i'm aware they've spent big money on Ilya M to help the PK.   And term with Lazar anchoring the fourth line.   There is a reason why guys like Motte do get traded at the deadline ... personally i don't have any issue with adding to our depth of guys that can defend and takeaway pucks, energize and inspire.  

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We are talking about a close to league min signing, and our PK without Motte, Sutter and even LE from a couple seasons ago, was simply bad.   I'd prefer Sutter back if he could play but would bet money Motte could play a few more games then Mr Glass.  

that is a pretty low bar

Motte will play more games than Ferland too

woohoo Sign him up

Mr Glass played 1/2 of his last 3 seasons too, but he is currently 33, not 25-27

Just now, lmm said:

that is a pretty low bar

Motte will play more games than Ferland too

woohoo Sign him up

Mr Glass played 1/2 of his last 3 seasons too, but he is currently 33, not 25-27

Lol.  Like usually, right there to invalidate, with some form of idiotic quote pulled from the stratosphere.   Where is your reading comprehension "loving to add depth to support our PK"...pick a different option - right back at it.   Why don't you just admit your real team is MIN and your only on here to troll us Canuck fans.  

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol.  Like usually, right there to invalidate, with some form of idiotic quote pulled from the stratosphere.   Where is your reading comprehension "loving to add depth to support our PK"...pick a different option - right back at it.   Why don't you just admit your real team is MIN and your only on here to troll us Canuck fans.  

what ever

Motte played his last full season at 24years old, 73 games

Sutter put his 5th full season in at 25

rah rah lets cheer for our wounded  warriors

makes so much sense

if you won't cheer for our wounded warriors , I'ma gonna call you a troll that cheers for another team

sometimes you are better than that IBatch

3 hours ago, lmm said:

You have already spent $1,4 on Motte, where does the money literally come from?

you seem to be suggesting spending every dollar on Motte

Thanks for asking. In my opinion, if we signed Motte he would take the place of Dickinson on our 4th line. I would keep Hoglander or Lockwood as 13th forward. And Dickinson would be waived to AHL.

This would save $1.125m on Dickinson's cap hit and cost $1.4m on Motte's cap hit. So the net cost in terms of cap is only $275k. It's not really "spending every dollar on Motte" it's a small increase in cap hit to replace Dickinson with a much better player.

8 hours ago, lmm said:

what ever

Motte played his last full season at 24years old, 73 games

Sutter put his 5th full season in at 25

rah rah lets cheer for our wounded  warriors

makes so much sense

if you won't cheer for our wounded warriors , I'ma gonna call you a troll that cheers for another team

sometimes you are better than that IBatch

Call a spade a spade.  I'm pretty patient with most posters, but your constant use of GM quotes and invalidation to kabosh virtually most posters ideas, and this time making such a big deal over such a small signing, just goes to show what lengths your willing to go to make sure whomever it is your making sure "knows they are wrong"  ... it's annoying.   And can't help but think it's deliberate at this point.   So many moves happen in the NHL that are never expected.   Maybe consider that next time you rush to check a GMs news or a teams cap space to kabosh any discussion.   Your better then that too.   Me i'm a wanker sometimes, but i'm willing to own it, and my bad lashing out.  

Of course i don't care if Motte comes backs lol.   The point was pretty clear - i'd love to improve our PK and depth for cheap (league min, cap compliant) given our D is set and going to take time to improve.   Adding to what we have already done (overpaying Ilya M possibly - to fix a need) and Lazar which is just fine.    We lost our PKers in JBs cap payout, and it cost us.     And even if i do love Motte - why does it matter?   It doesn't.   We are fans and that much i get - it's not always Spock level logic.     I apologize if my response was over the top.    But i have a hard time getting a read on your actual team.   And do wonder if maybe this isn't it.   SabresFan was great, he owned it.   MIN is fine ... TO would be tough to own lol, but i'm sure there are some hiding on here too.   It is the best fan forum in the NHL (most active), and others are welcome,  but a pattern is a pattern.   A little "good idea" now and then, would go a long way.    Even better - a discussion about what you think not one laden with other things all about how it's not possible.   JBs last cap clearing move seemed impossible at the time too, at the cost anyways, at the time.   A lot of things don't follow the script each and every year. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We have zero cap space. 

Actually -$1,667.00 with only a 21 man roster after Ferland LTIR

Capfriendly has us at $85.25m right now for a total of 24 players (including Ferland and our $1.25m carryover bonuses). Once Ferland is on placed on LTIR we will receive up to $3.5m in cap relief allowing our total cap hit to be as high as $86m, so we do not have zero cap space. Also remember that there will be players waived and players added to the roster before opening night. 

16 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Capfriendly has us at $85.25m right now for a total of 24 players (including Ferland and our $1.25m carryover bonuses). Once Ferland is on placed on LTIR we will receive up to $3.5m in cap relief allowing our total cap hit to be as high as $86m, so we do not have zero cap space. Also remember that there will be players waived and players added to the roster before opening night. 

I was mistaken I thought the $85.25m included only 20 contracts not on LTIR but it is actually covers 23. That means we can still sign someone for $ under $1,498,000 or $2,248,333 if we run a 22 man roster.

Edited by Bure_Pavel