The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks GM Patrik Allvin Chimes In..

Rate this topic

Canuck You

16 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I'm not a fan of Benning but I think people forget how he sounded like when he first joined our team:

I didn't think he was as bad with pressers until further into his tenure. This is not to say that Allvin will have similar problems just that its best not to judge just based on their demeanour in pressers.

He wasn’t as bad but man he was always pretty appallingly bad at pressers you gotta admit. Watching some of these shows just how little actual plan he had the last few years. Everything was reactionary it seemed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, lmm said:

After next draft sounds about right,

But they could sign Phil Kessel to a 6x6 contract tomorrow and the judgement would start with that.

not making moves buys them some time,

But if the first and second big moves are bad there is no use waiting

Very true.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I'm not going to disparage the previous regime, (one man show), except to say it would appear that the more chins grown does not necessarily translate 

into a successful progression as a GM. Actually, he did some great work but his obsessions finally caught up to him.  Beyond me that he couldn't see that 

Green was losing the room. 

Nice to have a G-M who looks like he hits the G-YM 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, I will wait to see what happens with Bo and JT. 

If we get both of them back on long term deals for 15 mil combined, I will be a happy camper.... Otherwise I want to see some premium pieces coming back.  30th overall pick is not a premium piece btw. 

Agreed. Trading a superstar is what rebuilding teams do. This team has shown they deserve to be given every weapon available to win.

I can't get in line with thinking what the contract will look like in 6 years, when we have a team full of players entering their prime over the next 3 years.

Sign them both to max term to save some dollars on the cap and keep the core intact.

Pens have 3 guys that will be older than JT is on an 8 year deal, Caps will probably as well.

It's not some radical thing to have a guy produce at 36-38, plus by then the cap might be 100 million or the world might be an apocalyptic wasteland resembling Edmonton in the winter. Lol.

46 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

Should've stopped listening before trading Virtanen was brought up...

Man, it would've been great to deal him in hindsight...for anything. 

In hindsight, people will often say anything to make themselves look smarter than in the past. Had Virtanen worked out and became a superstar, passing him on would make people point the finger at the GMs who passed him by.

• Cheers 1

On 8/3/2022 at 11:33 AM, Canuck You said:

Personally, I like this new regime..It's refreshing and feels like we finally have people with proper experience running the show.

As long as they don't ever start listening to the idiot fan base and media.

Just stick to doing what they do best. We can do without that stupidity of that for a change...

15 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Wow, the years were sure hard on Big Jim Benning.

(What an amateur hour that first one was; compare to JR & Co.)

Yeah they were especially hard on him, as they would be for most people who show up here to canucksville. Having to deal with the most pathetic, stupid, clueless fans in the entire league and media even worse.

Same ones who think they have a clue about hockey, try and criticize others is f'n hilarious! 

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:53 PM, canucklehead44 said:

GMJB was exciting - I remember he made four big trades over a two day period. His first three trades were good, then 13 out of his next 15 trades were kinda bad (Bieksa for a 2nd was good, and Shinkaruk for Granlund wasn't bad although Granlund was the epitomy of mediocrity). 

After that his trades were pretty good for the most part but his signings and cap management became abysmal. Regardless, he was certainly not idle handed but he seemed to lack direction. 

Also he almost avoided developing players like the plague. Our prospects mostly developed in NCAA or Europe and he kept trying to acquire old prospects to jump right into the NHL. Guys that we did develop were let go pretty quick. I think if he just focused on player development instead of knee jerk trades and expensive signings to fill secondary holes he would have been a decent GM. 

Did you ever stop to think about exactly where we were as a team when JB showed up and had to do two jobs at the time, can you tell me what those two jobs were? Then I'll ask you the last question and then followed by what would you have done is his place. This is a question I've posed to more than a few posters and still haven't got a single right reply YET.. 

As many idiot fans in Vancouver as there are, which are a lot. There's smart ones in the minority that I've seen who don't simply Parrott what they read from our local bush league media and have insightful things to say thankfully.

I don't know why people can't look at the big picture for themselves and draw their own conclusions, it baffles me. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Did you ever stop to think about exactly where we were as a team when JB showed up and had to do two jobs at the time, can you tell me what those two jobs were? Then I'll ask you the last question and then followed by what would you have done is his place. This is a question I've posed to more than a few posters and still haven't got a single right reply YET.. 

As many idiot fans in Vancouver as there are, which are a lot. There's smart ones in the minority that I've seen who don't simply Parrott what they read from our local bush league media and have insightful things to say thankfully.

I don't know why people can't look at the big picture for themselves and draw their own conclusions, it baffles me. 

Why bother about a scout that went way over his head? 
Benning should have stayed at scout level.

Edited by Timråfan

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Most can only see the trees. Only a small percentage see the forest as a whole. 

22 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

What an amateur hour that first one was; compare to JR & Co.

JR and company are still looking to ice the team that Benning built, the only notable addition to date is Mikheyev so not a lot of reason for optimism with this roster quite yet.

15 minutes ago, GB5 said:

JR and company are still looking to ice the team that Benning built, the only notable addition to date is Mikheyev so not a lot of reason for optimism with this roster quite yet.

Don’t write off Kuzmenko or Lazar or the addition of Rathbone. 
This team is pretty much a shoe in to make the playoffs. Is this team in the same league as the Avs or the Bolts, not yet, but this team certainly has the potential to grow into a top contender with patience and an addition or three over the next couple of years. 

Edited by spur1
Finish post