The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Video] All Access - Draft and Development Camp

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

7 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Hoping for something a little longer than what we've become used to. 

I've seen a lot of other teams consistently put out high quality 20-30 min videos throughout the season and would be ecstatic if the Canucks follow suit. 

Hard when you trade away all your first round picks. 

Really enjoyed this video. Two points struck me:

1. The Canucks had Lekkerimaki at #7 on their list. So of course they were really happy to get him at 15.

2. I liked what I heard from Allvin. In previous years I liked what I heard from Brackett in the draft videos but was always disappointed in Benning. Todd Harvey seems ok but I am still sorry that Benning pushed out Brackett. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I also like how Allvin said something about you can overate a prospects character and compete but they need the skill to make a difference when everyone at the level is competing. (Paraphrasing)

That was an insightful comment but not everyone at NHL level has a high compete level. I could not help thinking about Virtanen, Goldobin, and other guys who were "inconsistent" -- which often means not consistently providing a high energy level.  But the general point that guys who rely on high compete level to outclass other players in junior will have trouble at the next level is important. Just like guys who dominate in junior because of size and strength but have trouble in the NHL. 

The main thing you are looking for is a "separating" skill.

But having a high compete level is still important and is part of what makes guys like Petey, Horvat, Podkolzin and Hughes good. Boeser needs to show a higher compete level next year. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

That was an insightful comment but not everyone at NHL level has a compete level. I could not help thinking about Virtanen, Goldobin, and other guys who were "inconsistent" -- which often means not consistently providing a high energy level.  But the general point that guys who rely on high compete level to outclass other players in junior will have trouble at the next level is important. Just like guys who dominate in junior because of size and strength but have trouble in the NHL. 

The main thing you are looking for is a "separating" skill.

But having a high compete level is still important and is part of what makes guys like Petey, Horvat, Podkolzin and Hughes good. Boeser needs to show a higher compete level next year. 

I think what he was saying was value the character and compete in the player appropriately for sure and all else being equal of course take the higher character player. But don’t overlook that type of separating skill as you describe it by relying on character as a justification.

That seemed like a direct commentary about the drafting philosophy of the Canucks for many, many years.

• Cheers 4

Interesting to see that Allvin received a call just before the #15 pick from a team wanting to move up in the draft. We’ll probably never know but I wonder if it would have led to getting two great defenceman  prospects instead of Lekkerimaki. Pickering and Chesley would have been great picks IMO.

I love watching these behind the scenes videos the Canucks put out there. This one is much better then previous years Lekkerimaki seems be the guy they really wanted and to get him at 15 was just icing on the cake.

Not gonna repeat what other posters have already outlined so well.

I just wanted more.. more talk about philosophy and a greater insight to the people building the team. I guess just more talk. Felt like a lot of the video was just scenic shots.

Saw a tweet during development camp about Jurmo standing out by how many questions he was asking the staff. Felt the video replicated that quite well. Good to see. 

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Would be relevant had we traded our 1st but we didn’t so. 

That was my point? Videos of the past were shorter because of a lack of 1st rd picks... not the case this year. Harder to create intrigue when over the last two years the average draft position of your first pick is like 61st overall. 

• Cheers 2