The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks still don't have a radio deal and the pre-season is right around the corner

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

20 hours ago, audiodave said:

Not to be flippant but, does anyone still listen to the radio? It might be hard to sell the rights to the radio broadcast if there's no one listening.

People who drive cars. I listen to AM 730 traffic to and from work. When it's hockey season and a game on the radio.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I listen at work a lot. It's but I am used to listening to games from childhood and not having cable  until later in life. 

this is my exact experience. We didn't have cable growing up in the bush, but me and the old man listened to a ton of radio. I probably listen to half the games working in the shop instead of watching them. I really hope they get a deal done.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, audiodave said:

Not to be flippant but, does anyone still listen to the radio? It might be hard to sell the rights to the radio broadcast if there's no one listening.

I do, more likely to listen than watch actually, oftentimes it's more of a commitment to sit down and watch whereas I can just putter around doing other things with it being in the background 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Do you drive ? Lol if I'm at home watching the Game and I have to run out for whatever reason it's nice to be able to listen.

I don't drive, except on rare occasions. I travel a lot for work, so I stream the games on Espn+, sometimes I just listen if I'm busy with other things.

I don’t know how many listen to the game on actual terrestrial radio at this point, so 650 should take what they can get. Their real value is in their shows, which is basically limited to Halford (not Brough) and Sat and Dan. Of course those guys could always go the podcast route and potentially make more money. It’s pretty weird to me that 650 is essentially the only game in town for sports broadcasts and yet can’t secure the rights. 

Edited by McBackup

On 9/9/2022 at 9:22 PM, audiodave said:

I work nights 1/2 the time so I listen on the radio 1/2 the games that are on weeknights I think there are many others that do as well and when they are driving also 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:59 PM, Locke Lamora said:

So still no word on the Canucks broadcast home?

Tuned in to 650 today for a replay of Halford and Brough and then some Toronto based Blue Jays talk. They lose the rights, may as well close up shop. Won’t be losing much, anyway…and Halford and Brough, the only thing palatable on 650 would likely join the Vancouver sports podcast ranks - instantly becoming the best of the bunch.

They guys that come on after Halford & Brough are hard to listen to from 650 baseball talk..lol..lol.. Turn off 650 right away...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1