The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Projecting Pacific Division 2022/23 Final Finish

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Who do you think will win the division (presented alphabetically)  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

The team is better this year than last years team and has some star power closer to prime age. No reason to think they can’t play at or near that level this season too. 

We finished 5th last year. I don't know we're that much better to catch Calgary, Edmonton, or any improved LA. Vegas is a good team with severe injury problems last year. Unfortunately I see them jumping back up to the top of the standings with a return to health. It'll be a battle probably coming down to injuries.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

We finished 5th last year. I don't know we're that much better to catch Calgary, Edmonton, or any improved LA. Vegas is a good team with severe injury problems last year. Unfortunately I see them jumping back up to the top of the standings with a return to health. It'll be a battle probably coming down to injuries.

If Campbell struggles the Oil are in tough, if Calgary can’t replace Tkachuks numbers and they overplay Marky again they will flame out like this season. Vegas gutted their depth and identity for Eichel. I don’t think it's as much of a long shot as some are predicting. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Campbell struggles the Oil are in tough, if Calgary can’t replace Tkachuks numbers and they overplay Marky again they will flame out like this season. Vegas gutted their depth and identity for Eichel. I don’t think it's as much of a long shot as some are predicting. 

Last year was the start of the fall of the Vegas Knights. There is such thing as player loyalty to a certain degree and Vegas has shown zero interest in this. They have essentially burnt themselves to the ground. It’s beautiful.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

Last year was the start of the fall of the Vegas Knights. There is such thing as player loyalty to a certain degree and Vegas has shown zero interest in this. They have essentially burnt themselves to the ground. It’s beautiful.

They still have that shine to them that they could be deadly if they had cap space cause some players still want to go there but, that's already looking like it may not last much longer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Calgary is diminished, Edmonton made some improvements, but still have a weak defense Los Angeles is an improved team, but Vegas has a LOT of holes and Stone has been having trouble staying healthy.  Vegas will have trouble putting up a balanced lineup on a nightly basis. Canucks should be improved under a full year of coach BB and with a healthy Pettersson to start the season. Last year, Pettersson didn't get healthy until around game 55.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

No I wouldn't say long shot either. I think we're 20% chance a fairly improved team, 55% chance to make the playoffs, 45% chance to just miss. 15-20% chance we run into hard times. Does that even make mathematical sense? Ah it's late whatever I'm going with it. lol.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

All the teams are in transition, and there are no consensus "good teams", I'd say. So, there is literally no outcome in the standings that would be completely shocking. But, I predict:

1. Las Vegas

2. Calgary

3. Los Angeles

4. Seattle

5. Anaheim

6. Vancouver

7. San Jose

8. Edmonton

That's some Oiler love :lol:  You wish!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

And they have no cap space lost depth and struggled to stay healthy. Overrated.  Also Vancouver in a full season under Boudreau were on pace to finish top 3… 

Whose to say that isn't true for Vegas bouncing back with a fully healthy Eichel and Cassidy as the coach?

28 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Calgary is diminished, Edmonton made some improvements, but still have a weak defense Los Angeles is an improved team, but Vegas has a LOT of holes and Stone has been having trouble staying healthy.  Vegas will have trouble putting up a balanced lineup on a nightly basis. Canucks should be improved under a full year of coach BB and with a healthy Pettersson to start the season. Last year, Pettersson didn't get healthy until around game 55.

Calgary is diminished but still a balanced team. Plus Sutter will probably come up with a more defensive system for the team.

Edmonton being improved but weak on defense is the same argument you can make for Vancouver. 

Vegas has holes but still has a talented team plus the argument on the Canucks for coaching and Pettersson being healthy now can be made for Vegas. Eichen being healthy and Cassidly providing a coaching bump.

Los Angeles I think will take a step forward.

Anaheim with some of their young players might make some noise as well. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

The team is better this year than last years team and has some star power closer to prime age. No reason to think they can’t play at or near that level this season too. 

I don’t see how we’re a better team than last year. There’s still a lot of question marks lingering over this team.

- Can Miller replicate his last year’s total?

- Can our top 3 defensemen stay healthy, throughout the season?

- Can Demko continue to steal games for us?

- Can Kuzmenko’s KHL success carry over to the NHL?

- Can Boeser regain his confidence back?

People who list other teams holes, are acting like we ourselves don’t have any holes.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes this is all true. However it kind of sucks the team that perhaps took a full step back was the best team and still finished a comfortable 19 points ahead of us. The closest playoff team LA who finished 7 ahead of us did the most beside us to improve and brought in a ppg 82 point player at no cost who fills some big holes for them. They should be much improved. Edmonton finished 12 points ahead of us and hasn't really gotten any worse. They arguably addressed their biggest question mark. Vegas who finished 2 points ahead of us loses a ppg player in Patches, but this team still has a top notch defence, goalie, and star power, and will be more healthy. They have some depth issues but as we've seen they're not afraid to go and address these (Miller lol). They've been a top team in the league for years. Even though I really really don't like them they're pretty impossible to count out at this stage. Fighting for the division lead in my view.

The best I can see is it really depends which team(s) steps up and grabs the bull by the horns. We'll be in the mix but we're no shoe in.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I don’t see how we’re a better team than last year. There’s still a lot of question marks lingering over this team.

People who list other teams holes, are acting like we ourselves don’t have any holes.

Every team has holes. Our biggest question mark is Kuzmenko. And Mikheyev is a breath of fresh air in the middle 6. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

He wasn't really that injury prone before his neck issue so I can't see how he can't be after his surgery and a full off-season of getting ready 

He’s missed an average of 15-20+ games a year save for his rookie season where he only missed 1. Pretty big gamble and naive to assume he suddenly gets healthier post neck injury.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Exactly people seem to evaluate the Canucks in a void or a bubble not realizing the moves or progress other teams have made as well. 

Even if the Canucks do improve whose to say other teams haven't as well. LA and Anaheim both look like teams that could overtake Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He’s missed an average of 15-20+ games a year save for his rookie season where he only missed 1. Pretty big gamble and naive to assume he suddenly gets healthier post neck injury.

Besides the recent neck injuries I think there were only 2 season where he missed around those number of games. Even so and let's say he plays 65 games only it's not going to sink the team completely considering the teams talent.

Just now, iinatcc said:

Besides the recent neck injuries I think there were only 2 season where he missed around those number of games. Even so and let's say he plays 65 games only it's not going to sink the team completely considering the teams talent.

I’m not sold, sorry I still think they’re overrated. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m not sold, sorry I still think they’re overrated. 

As someone here already said this overrated team that had most of their top players injured still managed to finish ahead of the Canucks.

If Vegas is overrated I can't imagine to think what the Canucks are :lol: