The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

On 8/23/2022 at 8:03 AM, VegasCanuck said:

This is what I'm looking at, they suddenly have substantial money tied up with players who are entering the final 1/3rd of their careers. 

Last season,  I looked at the Flames as a team who's window was just opening.  Now, they look like a team who's window should close in another 1 to 2 seasons as their core starts to deteriorate. 

Kadri is a really good player right now, but he plays a style of game where there's usually an earlier fall off, around 33 or 34, it becomes noticeable and he will be 32 before the puck drops to start the new season.

Kadri and Hubie (along with Ketchup and JG) had career years in their contract years.  Will be very interesting this season.  I see buyouts for the Flames in the near future.

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, this extension is looking outstanding so far.... 1 goal, 4 assists in the first 10 games. Currently on pace for a nice 45 point season....

They better hope he turns it around, 10.5 million per for 8 years, starting next year, isn't exactly an easy hit to move at that production.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wow, this extension is looking outstanding so far.... 1 goal, 4 assists in the first 10 games. Currently on pace for a nice 45 point season....

They better hope he turns it around, 10.5 million per for 8 years, starting next year, isn't exactly an easy hit to move at that production.

And of course we have Canucks fans slamming our guy that signed for $2.5M less per while on pace for nearly 50 goals and a point per game :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And of course we have Canucks fans slamming our guy that signed for $2.5M less per while on pace for nearly 50 goals and a point per game :rolleyes:

Miller is a good player but I think a lot of people thought he did not fit the time line of when this core would be ready for prime time and that he was one of the few chips that could be traded to fill one or more of the enormous holes in other parts of the roster.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

Miller is a good player but I think a lot of people thought he did not fit the time line of when this core would be ready for prime time and that he was one of the few chips that could be traded to fill one or more of the enormous holes in other parts of the roster.

And that's fine by me.  We all have our opinions of where this core is at, but really, some people are slamming him right now.  Exaggerations of him giving the puck away ALL the time that has lead to goals against is tiresome.  Yes, he did have a few gaffs this season, but we're 12 games into it, and he's not the primary issue with this team. 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes, he did have a few gaffs this season,

A few gaffs- like being on the ice for the first 7 or 8 goals scored against the team?

12 games in- still a minus 5.

Only thing keeping Miller from a 3 minute long shift in OT is the period only last for 5 minutes total.

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And that's fine by me.  We all have our opinions of where this core is at, but really, some people are slamming him right now.  Exaggerations of him giving the puck away ALL the time that has lead to goals against is tiresome.  Yes, he did have a few gaffs this season, but we're 12 games into it, and he's not the primary issue with this team. 

This kinda reminds me of Yzerman.  He got lotsa points.  But it wasn’t until he committed to D that Detroit truly turned around as a franchise and dominated back then.

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

A few gaffs- like being on the ice for the first 7 or 8 goals scored against the team?

12 games in- still a minus 5.

Only thing keeping Miller from a 3 minute long shift in OT is the period only last for 5 minutes total.

Oh please... it's a team game.  Just cuz he's on the ice doesn't mean it's all his fault.  We all know +/- means almost nothing.  It's just a function of the TEAMS success.

I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it.  People are looking for every error that JT Miller commits.  Reality is if you do that with any player, you'll find issues.  Not a single player is 100% perfect.

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

This kinda reminds me of Yzerman.  He got lotsa points.  But it wasn’t until he committed to D that Detroit truly turned around as a franchise and dominated back then.

As they always say, you can teach defence.  You cannot teach offence. 

25 minutes ago, combover said:

Mathew   T   17 points 

Jonathan H   5 points  

How many years did he sign YIKES. Lol 

window closed. Hahahaha. 
thank you JG and MT 

Oh brother it gets better..

Monahan + 1st to open up cap to sign Kadri. Monahan has more points than huberdeau lmfao! 

• Haha 2

On 8/22/2022 at 9:57 PM, Gawdzukes said:

Yes, little known fact but Sutzy is quite the ladies man. Quite the smooth talker. He is actually the father to all these guys. I think Disney is making a movie.

I heard Disney was doing a crossover film?

I had no idea it was the Hunchback of East Van meets the 7 Sutter Dwarves :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 7:58 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

My buddy said Huberdeau trains in Calgary every summer and loves it out there.  There was no reason for him not to re-sign in Calgary.

So if Huberdeau is getting 10.5x8 as a 30 year old what is Miller worth?  I'm still laughing at people who think Miller will sign for under $8 million...

Not far off , this old post. I'd say we are lucky to have him at 8 flat. But strategically , we didn't need the signing 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/19/2022 at 4:19 PM, Alflives said:

Huberdough has his big contract and is now up to a whole 8 points.  10.5 per for the next 8 years!  Way to go LOSER LAMES!  

image.gif.9615ac98fe0b486eb69466297cd5d2ff.gif

Huberdeau’s new contract hasn’t even kicked in yet and it already looks like the worst contract in the NHL. I mean he might be a 60 point player next year earning almost $11 million. And it’s only gonna get worse. At least Miller is still a point a game guy with a contract that is almost $3 million less per year. 

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Huberdeau’s new contract hasn’t even kicked in yet and it already looks like the worst contract in the NHL. I mean he might be a 60 point player next year earning almost $11 million. And it’s only gonna get worse. At least Miller is still a point a game guy with a contract that is almost $3 million less per year. 

He really shouldn't be making a nickle more than Miller. 

The Flames are always in this win now mode too it seems. They lost Jonny Gudreau and were convinced they had to replace him with a big ticket free agent. You really have to wonder what would happen if they just left that roster spot open for someone in the system to step up into.

Would their record be that much worse if they did that ? And if it's a disaster , you get a high draft pick. Free agency is a scam. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He really shouldn't be making a nickle more than Miller. 

The Flames are always in this win now mode too it seems. They lost Jonny Gudreau and were convinced they had to replace him with a big ticket free agent. You really have to wonder what would happen if they just left that roster spot open for someone in the system to step up into.

Would their record be that much worse if they did that ? And if it's a disaster , you get a high draft pick. Free agency is a scam. 

I’m wondering how many big ticket signings from last summer are actually helping their team?  

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m wondering how many big ticket signings from last summer are actually helping their team?  

Well not traded per say but Tage Thompson and Jason Robertson are absolute gd beasts for their price points

• Upvote 1