The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

5 minutes ago, mordekai said:

This contract is going to be so so bad in 4-5 years

10+ mil for a non centerman in his 30s

Glad you mentioned non center. Giroux, Kane, are now the only mid 30's forwards that should be even in the slightest talk for 10 mil. Ovi doesn't count cause he is a robot. 

Now let's not make that aforementioned so bad contract as well. 

6 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

If Lindholm and Huberdeau cant find chemistry, this will be bad.  Backlund is more of a 3rd C.  Who will Huberdeau play with if it doesnt work with Lindholm?

There both pro's and crazy talented. Im sure they will figure it out, however not close to last year numbers. Huberdeau is a stud but at his ahe he just didnt find his prime to become a 115 pt player. Lindholm will be noticed but also will return to his yearly average. Piggybacking on that Thuchuc or however you spell it will be lost in FLA and miss his mates that made him look better then he is, and coaching to control his immaturity. Johnny may be the biggest winner, going to the most unlikely destinations. He has never had a snipper like Laine, and if not on the same line, Laine could score 30 on the powerplay with him alone. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Feels like a kind of deal that Huberdau's agent knew they had all the leverage against Calgary. It's almost so gleefully parasitic to fleece Calgary with that money and term. 

It’s the exact same deal they offered Gaudreau. Huberdeau is only one year older. Maybe he ages better than little Johnny. Either way they would have been hooped with either contract long term. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s the exact same deal they offered Gaudreau. Huberdeau is only one year older. Maybe he ages better than little Johnny. Either way they would have been hooped with either contract long term. 

I am going to be perfectly honest ... I thought Gaudreau was only 25 :lol:

Having said that he and Tkachuck still accepted less money playing elsewhere 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

There both pro's and crazy talented. Im sure they will figure it out, however not close to last year numbers. Huberdeau is a stud but at his ahe he just didnt find his prime to become a 115 pt player. Lindholm will be noticed but also will return to his yearly average. Piggybacking on that Thuchuc or however you spell it will be lost in FLA and miss his mates that made him look better then he is, and coaching to control his immaturity. Johnny may be the biggest winner, going to the most unlikely destinations. He has never had a snipper like Laine, and if not on the same line, Laine could score 30 on the powerplay with him alone. 

I know none of them were superstars but that 2016 Free Agent Class :sick:....and its not like the Sedins were pylons but it just didnt work out with LE.  And i get FA vs Trade.  But they had the opportunity to at least see 10-20 games.  Downside being price might shoot up further or he may just decide to test FA by waiting.

Loui Eriksson

Andrew Ladd

Milan Lucic

Kyle Okposo

I'm probably missing someone

Edited by amplified0ne

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My buddy said Huberdeau trains in Calgary every summer and loves it out there.  There was no reason for him not to re-sign in Calgary.

So if Huberdeau is getting 10.5x8 as a 30 year old what is Miller worth?  I'm still laughing at people who think Miller will sign for under $8 million...

The difference between the 2 is very obvious.

JB 613 points from 671 games.

JT 454 points from 637.

No doubt Miller and his agent will be pushing for as much as he can get however JB has been a more consistent producer. 

I still wouldn't have given him 10 plus for 8 years at his age and scoring history. 

As for what Miller is worth, he is the same as any product/service, he is worth what someone is willing to pay him.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t be so worried about his production at the tail end of his contract. It’s unlikely Miller who plays a grittier game than Huberdeau.

Playmakers of Huberdeau stature usually plays at a high level well into their late 30s. You look at players like Joe Thornton who scored 82 points at the age of 36.

25 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I wouldn’t be so worried about his production at the tail end of his contract. It’s unlikely Miller who plays a grittier game than Huberdeau.

Playmakers of Huberdeau stature usually plays at a high level well into their late 30s. You look at players like Joe Thornton who scored 82 points at the age of 36.

Henrik Sedin was also a playmaker, won the Hart trophy and is a first ballot hall of famer.  He only got 50 points at age 36...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Huberdeau>Gaudreau 

Especially for playoffs. I think the Flames will take a hit in the regular season, but be better in the playoffs

They won't even make the playoffs.  Entire team played over their heads last year and they still didn't manage to get rid of one of their locker room cancers in Lucic.  Replacing the turtle and the midget with men is a start, but they still have to find a way to get rid of the inbred hunchback.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you take out Huberdeau from that trade (replaces Gaudreau), then Calgary got a top 4 RHDman for Tkachuk who can play 25 minutes a night and get 50 points, plus a 1st round pick plus a prospect.  Isn't that exactly the trade packages floating around here for JT Miller?

Weegar isn’t a 50 point defenseman and his value has been inflated playing in Florida just like when we acquired Ballard or Gudbranson.

Tkachuk should be worth more than Miller considering his age and the season he just had. So no that wouldn’t be a good return for him if that’s the way you wanted to look at it. 

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

I know none of them were superstars but that 2016 Free Agent Class :sick:....and its not like the Sedins were pylons but it just didnt work out with LE.  And i get FA vs Trade.  But they had the opportunity to at least see 10-20 games.  Downside being price might shoot up further or he may just decide to test FA by waiting.

Loui Eriksson

Andrew Ladd

Milan Lucic

Kyle Okposo

I'm probably missing someone

Strangely enough Kyle Okposo has actually bounced back last season. Maybe he has a 2nd wind in his career ? 

At the very least Buffalo can probably get some good assets if they trade him in the deadline 

Edited by iinatcc

Anyone else kinda jealous of Calgary this off-season? This was supposed to be us shaking and baking with the moves to change up our roster. I’m not saying they are better because of it as they lost Gaudreau for free as a UFA, but they certainly killed it with the Tkachuck trade. 

as a fan, Calgary should be pumped to watch the new team and sell a ton of merchandise in the next few weeks. 

I could see the Flames going hard for JT Miller if he falls to FA next off-season. 

Both Lucic and Monahan will be gone next year. They'll have money to spend and seem to be going balls to the wall.

Seems like he fits a big need for them too. Could use another solid C with Lindholm and Backlund is 33 and expires in 2 years.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I could see the Flames going hard for JT Miller if he falls to FA next off-season. 

Both Lucic and Monahan will be gone next year. They'll have money to spend and seem to be going balls to the wall.

Seems like he fits a big need for them two. Could use another solid C with Lindholm.

They always hard for Canucks free agents :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1