The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is one NHL player you would have loved to see play in today's NHL?

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm thinking that the 3 greatest players of all time with Bure and Coffey thrown in would be the ones doing the destroying.  With no red line and no clutching and grabbing, Gretzky would get 200+ assists, Orr would get 200+ points and Bure might hit 80+ goals...

Babe Ruth is considered to be the greatest ball player of all time to. Could he compete with Barry Bonds? Should I elaborate more? 

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Love Bure, but no he wouldnt be.  

Think about how much more skilled at speed he was then the rest. Now take him and give him today's training and such and account for skill growth like inflation. Yes he would be. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

How are we missing Jagr?  Jagr is possibly the greatest winger of all time.  

Kariyas hockey IQ was unmatched and he had so much natural talent, ability and athleticism.  

Peter the great was a scarey scarey man on blades. Defenders were more worried about him coming down the ice then anyone in his prime. Probably did more damage to the nucks than anyone. 

Peter_Forsberg_in_a_Colorado_Avalanche_jersey_Flickr-257172110-original.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

In order

Orr

Gretzky

Lemieux

Forsberg

Orr, with modern standards and equipment as well as surgical expertise would have been an absolute freak of nature.  A 150+ point defenceman in this day and age would be unheard of

Gretzky, because even though he wouldn't have Semenko to protect him, no clutch or grab and his intelligence we'd see where he really stands.

Lemieux because a monster centre like him with his latent skill doesn't exist anymore.

FOPA because we as hockey fans were robbed of a great career.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VanCan2023 said:

Babe Ruth is considered to be the greatest ball player of all time to. Could he compete with Barry Bonds? Should I elaborate more? 

Babe Ruth played over 100 years ago.  And which Barry Bonds are you referring to, the young Barry or the one that was all roided up?

Gretzky only retired 23 years ago, not in the 1930's.  Same with most of the others.  Comparing eras is difficult because of the way the game has changed and the technology that the new players have.

I don't really want to get into a debate on if McDavid would run circles around Gretzky and Lemieux.  I watched all 3 players in their primes and I can tell you that there are things that Gretzky and Lemieux did that nobody, not even McDavid could do.  If you think that McDavid's speed would prevail over the other two then that's fine, I understand your argument.  But I would disagree with that if they were all in their primes and put on the ice at the same time with the same technology, i.e. skates and sticks. 

As for Bure, has McDavid been clocked faster than him?  Did you see Bure without his shirt on compared to how McDavid looks now?  Do you really think if Bure was 23 today and he was on the ice that McDavid would run circles around him?  

As for Orr versus Makar, that time period is way farther apart, so it would be much harder to compare the two.  So I won't even try.  

25 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

How are we missing Jagr?  Jagr is possibly the greatest winger of all time.  

Kariyas hockey IQ was unmatched and he had so much natural talent, ability and athleticism.  

Jagr is literally still playing, so he is a prime example that if he was a bit younger he would probably be in the mix of the best players in today's NHL.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll start if off.  As this is a Canucks website, I will have to go with my favourite Vancouver Canucks player of all time and, in my opinion, the greatest Vancouver Canucks player of all time.  I am sure you know who that is.  No introduction necessary...

My first though as well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Babe Ruth played over 100 years ago.  And which Barry Bonds are you referring to, the young Barry or the one that was all roided up?

Gretzky only retired 23 years ago, not in the 1930's.  Same with most of the others.  Comparing eras is difficult because of the way the game has changed and the technology that the new players have.

I don't really want to get into a debate on if McDavid would run circles around Gretzky and Lemieux.  I watched all 3 players in their primes and I can tell you that there are things that Gretzky and Lemieux did that nobody, not even McDavid could do.  If you think that McDavid's speed would prevail over the other two then that's fine, I understand your argument.  But I would disagree with that if they were all in their primes and put on the ice at the same time with the same technology, i.e. skates and sticks. 

As for Bure, has McDavid been clocked faster than him?  Did you see Bure without his shirt on compared to how McDavid looks now?  Do you really think if Bure was 23 today and he was on the ice that McDavid would run circles around him?  

As for Orr versus Makar, that time period is way farther apart, so it would be much harder to compare the two.  So I won't even try.  

Thanks for understanding my point of age and sport... Or at least I think you do. Roides, muscle enhancements, speed, cocaine all have been rapid in all sports leagues for decades. Not just the bonds days. 

So a heavy frame makes you a faster skater? You'd think a smaller frame would be faster than a heavier chiseled frame. Natural strength always has and always will be more efficient then gym strength. What do the twins look like without shits? I love Bure and was a massive fan during his tenure here. 

But for the sake of putting this to an end, Gretzky at 23 could put on today's equipment and take out 23 year old McDavid in a one on one. He could score more goals with Ovies stick, Pavel was more explosive and faster the McDavid is now. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll start if off.  As this is a Canucks website, I will have to go with my favourite Vancouver Canucks player of all time and, in my opinion, the greatest Vancouver Canucks player of all time.  I am sure you know who that is.  No introduction necessary...

They forgot the “mother of all elbows” ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

Thanks for understanding my point of age and sport... Or at least I think you do. Roides, muscle enhancements, speed, cocaine all have been rapid in all sports leagues for decades. Not just the bonds days. 

So a heavy frame makes you a faster skater? You'd think a smaller frame would be faster than a heavier chiseled frame. Natural strength always has and always will be more efficient then gym strength. What do the twins look like without shits? I love Bure and was a massive fan during his tenure here. 

But for the sake of putting this to an end, Gretzky at 23 could put on today's equipment and take out 23 year old McDavid in a one on one. He could score more goals with Ovies stick, Pavel was more explosive and faster the McDavid is now. 

Did you see Bure's legs, specifically his thighs?  Skating power is all in the legs really, not in the upper body.  That's where he got his speed from for the most part.  His father trained him like he was in the army.  His father was a huge influence on how Bure became a superstar in the NHL.  The huge upper body gave him the ability to take the punishment that he had to endure game in and game out.  McDavid is a taller version of Gretzky.  Neither one probably ever lifted any heavy weights.  McDavid has the pure speed and Gretzky had the pure vision.  Lemieux had both as well as size.  Without the injuries and the cancer Lemieux may have hit Gretzky's numbers.  Man he was a beast.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Did you see Bure's legs, specifically his thighs?  Skating power is all in the legs really, not in the upper body.  That's where he got his speed from for the most part.  His father trained him like he was in the army.  His father was a huge influence on how Bure became a superstar in the NHL.  The huge upper body gave him the ability to take the punishment that he had to endure game in and game out.  McDavid is a taller version of Gretzky.  Neither one probably ever lifted any heavy weights.  McDavid has the pure speed and Gretzky had the pure vision.  Lemieux had both as well as size.  Without the injuries and the cancer Lemieux may have hit Gretzky's numbers.  Man he was a beast.

For sure its in the legs. Check out Rick Tocchet, or Rod "the bod" Brind'amour tree trunks lol. Wheather its natural or gym made all there speed is impressive. Thanks for the debate and were all lucky to have witnessed some of the best past and present hockey players ever. Scary to think what the kids will be like in 20 years or so. 

• Cheers 1