The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is one NHL player you would have loved to see play in today's NHL?

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Gretzky. So we can finally see the huge difference between playing in the high scoring 70s/80s/90s and playing in today's NHL.

Not sure Gretzky is the best player ever. 

I guess you could add Lemieux, Messier, Bossy, etc to that list as they played then to. So who is the best now then? Who or what determines the time period we should judge being the best?

There is no right answer. Jordan was Basketball god and jesus plus, plus years ago. But he vs. Lebron in a one on one now? Give me a break.  

Bottom line I look at who ruled there sport the most, and still does. NOBODY  I repeat NOBODY has ruled there sport more the Gretzky has, not even close. I mean take away all his goals and he still has more assists than no.2 has total points. His career points ppg are still untouchable. Football, baseball, basketball, all have ledgends but there all close points and or statistics, one has more this the other more that and controversy begins. Gretzky has ruled his sport like no other done and done. For some reason there are some that still try to think otherwise or just not willing to accept it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Too hard to pick one.

Gretzky

Bure

Bertuzzi

Niedermayer

Stevens

Prime Iginla

Prime Lecavalier

Pronger

Shanahan

What about imo the best "overall" defenceman ever Nicklas Lidstrom. Through in countryman and ex nuck Ohlund and JT is all yours. 

1 hour ago, VanCan2023 said:

I guess you could add Lemieux, Messier, Bossy, etc to that list as they played then to. So who is the best now then? Who or what determines the time period we should judge being the best?

There is no right answer. Jordan was Basketball god and jesus plus, plus years ago. But he vs. Lebron in a one on one now? Give me a break.  

Bottom line I look at who ruled there sport the most, and still does. NOBODY  I repeat NOBODY has ruled there sport more the Gretzky has, not even close. I mean take away all his goals and he still has more assists than no.2 has total points. His career points ppg are still untouchable. Football, baseball, basketball, all have ledgends but there all close points and or statistics, one has more this the other more that and controversy begins. Gretzky has ruled his sport like no other done and done. For some reason there are some that still try to think otherwise or just not willing to accept it. 

Sure, we could add them to that list too. But Gretzky would be especially interesting given the points you made. 

It's not about proclaiming x period as better than y period. It's about acknowledging that certain periods were much more high scoring and that, therefore, points should be prorated. 

58 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

What about imo the best "overall" defenceman ever Nicklas Lidstrom. Through in countryman and ex nuck Ohlund and JT is all yours. 

Gimme Larry Robinson or Denis Potvin first.  Lidstrom was good but for me overall includes some physicality

Canucks player: Pavel Bure.  Reason why I chose him has to do with the old two line pass rule. Many of his rushes were negated by that rule. I believe that with the ability to create extra space today, he could have hit 75-80 goals a season because no one would be able to catch him.  

Another aspect is this:  In his era there were no rules about clutching and grabbing, and tossing someone into the boards vulnerably.  In today's NHL, with his advanced puck handling skills and the new protections he could have had a longer career.  Lest the local media being the dearth of great Canuck players.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pavel Bure would destroy the league now.  No hooking or holding to slow him up, would result in him putting up 70+ each year.

Could be fun to see him out skate McDiver, and then crush him...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, brilac said:

Guy Lafleur!  Do I need to say more?  He was so awesome! 

Guy would be interesting but he'd have to have quit smoking. I went with Beliveau because he was 6'3" and 205 lbs in in prime. Like Lemeiux both had the right frame for today's hockey. Beliveau on his 19th season, at the age of 39 scored more than a point a game in the regular season and the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

How are we missing Jagr?  Jagr is possibly the greatest winger of all time.  

Kariyas hockey IQ was unmatched and he had so much natural talent, ability and athleticism.  

He was, his numbers speak for themselves 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If not him then my second choice is Matt Barnaby!  Kids today complain about players being rats but they don't even know the meaning of the word.  Barnaby would be an eye opener and a half!