The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] VAN trades with FLA and PHI

52 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

2 pretty solid deals..would prob take the plunge. Taken together, they make sense.

Guess only possible fly in ointment might be HornQ's 8 team NTC?(don't know if it would factor?)

Yeah I figured he might waive for Team Sweden Vancouver

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Trade 1

To FLA: Miller + Pearson

To VAN: Reinhart + Hornqvist + 2023 2nd round pick

Florida does this to simultaneously clear the last year of Hornqvist's contract and become cap compliant, as well as securing a top forward in Miller. Next season they will have $20m in cap space to resign Miller long term. Pearson fills a top 6 role while Duclair is on LTIR and then reverts to 3rd line duties when Duclair returns mid season. Hornqvist is unlikely to agree to be traded to a cellar dwelling team, so Florida's options to move him are very limited.

Vancouver does this trade in order to replace Miller with a top 6 C/W, but one that is younger (Reinhart is still 26) and with 2 years remaining on his $6.5m contract. Reinhart scored 82 pts last season and can do that again and again playing on Petey's RW. And VAN can comfortably resign BC-native Reinhart to a long term extension in 2024 knowing that he won't age out like Miller might. Hornqvist is a cap dump for 1 season, but we do this to also clear Pearson's cap for the next 2 seasons. I'd ask for a 1st round pick but FLA doesn't have one til 2026, so make do with a 2nd and get this team ready for a big season.

Trade 2

To PHI: Garland + Dermott

To VAN: Laughton + Attard + 2023 3rd round pick

Laughton is a good 3C but he is not really required in PHI with Couturier, Hayes, Frost and Brown down the middle. What they really need is another top 6 winger that has the kind of attitude that Torts will love. They also need a 3rd pairing LD to steady their bottom pairing, which Dermott provides. In return, VAN gets their 3C at a modest $3m x 4years, plus a very good NHL-ready RD prospect in Attard (23 years, 6'3", 205lb) and a 3rd round pick.

Opening Night Roster in VAN with $82.2m cap hit

Podkolzin Pettersson Reinhart

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Kuzmenko Laughton Hornqvist

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Hoglander)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Rathbone Poolman

Burroughs Attard

Demko (Martin)

(Ferland on LTIR, Dickinson in Abby)

Hmm, this actually works. With a bunch of dead cap falling off, FLA would easily have enough $ to re-sign Miller, and given the low tax he'd pay there, he may accept a bit less than he would in Vancouver. FLA probably is also on the hunt for another goaltender prospect, with Knight graduating to Bobrovsky's backup, so they may be interested in taking a flier on DiPietro as part of the deal as well. 

Overall I'd say the FLA trade is pretty reasonable and realistic - it also is perfect if FLA is in win-now mode, which I think they are. 

Trade 2 is also very fair, but I don't think our management is going to trade away Dermott without seeing him for a complete season or two, they were pretty excited about him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Trade 2 is also very fair, but I don't think our management is going to trade away Dermott without seeing him for a complete season or two, they were pretty excited about him. 

I don't think mgmt want to lose either Dermott or Garland. But if we did the first trade, then the second trade is necessary (or something similar) in order to shed enough cap and get a 3C in place for the long term.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Trade 2

To PHI: Garland + Dermott

To VAN: Laughton + Attard + 2023 3rd round pick

Don't see as realistic

Flyers have Provy, Sanheim and York on their left side already with York being poised for a bigger role.  So no need for Dermott.

And why would they give up a young rhd for so little return? Not to mention as of now they are 2.5 million over the cap, this trade would put them almost 5 million over

38 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Yes, but they just traded for Deangelo, they have Risto for their second pair and re signed Braun who is a solid 3rd pair rhd plus Attard

I don't see Braun as a solid #5 or 6 Dman at all anymore. He fell off the cliff in NYR. Dermott provides quality depth at LD or RD. I would expect a 3rd pairing of York-Dermott, with Braun and Seeler as #7 & 8 Dmen. If PHI are going to compete then they will need depth on their blueline imo.

1 hour ago, Fen1010 said:

And why would they give up a young rhd for so little return? Not to mention as of now they are 2.5 million over the cap, this trade would put them almost 5 million over

And then they put Ellis onto LTIRetired and it saves them $6.25m

14 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Just don't see the value for the Flyers. Lose a pick, prospect, cap space  and a solid 3c who penalty kills for a bottom pair dman and a middle of the road winger

See I think that's where your view differs from mine. And that's fine, I appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

IMO Garland is a legit young top 6 winger signed long term to a reasonable contract. Only 2 players on the PHI roster scored more goals that Garland last season (JVR and Atkinson). JVR has 1 season left. Atkinson is 33 years old and will start to decline. PHI needs young offensive talent...and that has value. I see Dermott as a young but proven NHL Dman. He is probably your bottom pairing guy, but he has the ability to step up to 2nd pairing in case of injuries (either LD or RD because he can cover both). I don't see Attard, York, Braun, Seeler being able to do that for PHI.

This is PHI trading from a area of strength to fill gaps where they are weak. Again, if they weren't looking to take a step forward then maybe PHI doesn't make this move, but I think it makes their roster stronger. Cheers.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

See I think that's where your view differs from mine. And that's fine, I appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

IMO Garland is a legit young top 6 winger signed long term to a reasonable contract. Only 2 players on the PHI roster scored more goals that Garland last season (JVR and Atkinson). JVR has 1 season left. Atkinson is 33 years old and will start to decline. PHI needs young offensive talent...and that has value. I see Dermott as a young but proven NHL Dman. He is probably your bottom pairing guy, but he has the ability to step up to 2nd pairing in case of injuries (either LD or RD because he can cover both). I don't see Attard, York, Braun, Seeler being able to do that for PHI.

This is PHI trading from a area of strength to fill gaps where they are weak. Again, if they weren't looking to take a step forward then maybe PHI doesn't make this move, but I think it makes their roster stronger. Cheers.

I would agree with with you, if I didn't think they want to give their young fowards such as Brink, Tippett and Farabee and Allison the chance for top 6/9 minutes.

I think both Braun and York played top 4 mintues last season for them at some point.

I think we will agree to disagree.

Edited by Fen1010
  • Thanks 1