The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade OEL for Zub

OEL for Zub

Zub is a good size 6'2 200 lb RHD. Zub cap hit is 2.5 and we would save more cap room. Ottawa was 20th on the power play last year. And with Debrincat and BT they have an opportunity to move up in that ranking. With so many promising draft picks coming in, a veteran leader on the PP would help them a lot.

If not Zub they do have a shut down dman in university who could be packaged with a pick or prospect, 

Klevin- 20 years old 6'4, 214 lb

"Another player coming to Ottawa via the University of North Dakota. Kleven is a big, mobile defensive defenseman. Big, physical defenseman is a bit of a thing of the past these days, but Kleven is such a mobile player he has good NHL potential."

Kevin and a pick would be good for us. 

I don't consider it a cap dump because of OEL's effectiveness on the PP.

Also we make room to develop Rathbone. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

6 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

So you want to go into next season with a left side D of Hughes, Dermott, and Rathbone? That’s……bold.

Rathbone I would move in slowly, so at 7d.

We still have a platoon of bottom defenseman to use.

ps I think without a RD we're going to have to switch someone to their offside. The coaches should look at who could work best in that switch.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

If we can get out of OEL’s contract and get an asset back that is a short term loss for long term gain. 
‘Would be interesting all left sided puck movers with Hughes, Dermott, Rathbone and right side would be huge with Zub, Chaos Giraffe and Schenn. 
‘Worried about what happens with the Chaos Giraffe if lose OEL as he seems to be the only one who can keep him calm and playing a safe game. 
‘Could work and worth it for the cap space alone. 

Dorian proved this offseason that he’s no idiot.  Also proven this offseason I was the power of available cap space.  

Although OEL was pretty good last season he’s not worth anywhere near his cap hit.  I can’t see Dorian giving up $7.26m of cap space for the next 5 seasons to take on OEL when he could use that cap space far more effectively taking advantage of a team like a Vegas. 

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Rathbone I would move in slowly, so at 7d.

We still have a platoon of bottom defenseman to use.

ps I think without a RD we're going to have to switch someone to their offside. The coaches should look at who could work best in that switch.

Everyone is obsessed with a RD, however, when BB got here we were one of the best GAA in the league (according to Hockey Guy). Losing OEL like so many want will not help Hughes to flourish. I think if we do not have OEL, Hughes is not the player he was last year.

• Vintage 1

Right, but I think the role of first unit power play point man would up his stature if he can click with the Cat and BT.

He's second fiddle here to Huggy.

OEL was more effective on PP1 than Hughes. OEL should have been used more in that position and Hughes should have been groomed more into the position.

41 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

At this point OEL has negative value. You may not think so, but the other 32 GMs do. 31 year old defenseman 29 points last year making 7.2mil AAV. 

This is dumb. He was asked to play a defensive role and was taken off the PP. The defensive role he did extremely well. Like Hockey Guy said, we were in the top of the league for GAA under BB

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Dorian proved this offseason that he’s no idiot.  Also proven this offseason I was the power of available cap space.  

Although OEL was pretty good last season he’s not worth anywhere near his cap hit.  I can’t see Dorian giving up $7.26m of cap space for the next 5 seasons to take on OEL when he could use that cap space far more effectively taking advantage of a team like a Vegas. 

Having OEL allows Hughes to grow and improve. OEL is taking the hard minutes. 

OEL for Zub

Zub is a good size 6'2 200 lb RHD. Zub cap hit is 2.5 and we would save more cap room. Ottawa was 20th on the power play last year. And with Debrincat and BT they have an opportunity to move up in that ranking. With so many promising draft picks coming in, a veteran leader on the PP would help them a lot.

If not Zub they do have a shut down dman in university who could be packaged with a pick or prospect, 

Klevin- 20 years old 6'4, 214 lb

"Another player coming to Ottawa via the University of North Dakota. Kleven is a big, mobile defensive defenseman. Big, physical defenseman is a bit of a thing of the past these days, but Kleven is such a mobile player he has good NHL potential."

Kevin and a pick would be good for us. 

I don't consider it a cap dump because of OEL's effectiveness on the PP.

Also we make room to develop Rathbone.

Sens fan here saying no thanks. Zub is a wildly under-rated defensemen, and the Sens are hurting on the right side as much as the Canucks are. Not a big Kleven fan. I'd move him in a heatbeat, but just don't see much need for OEL. The Sens are over-flowing with quality prospects. I'd much rather pay up for Chychrun, or Provorov if he becomes available.

55 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

This is dumb. He was asked to play a defensive role and was taken off the PP. The defensive role he did extremely well. Like Hockey Guy said, we were in the top of the league for GAA under BB

lol really? May be you should think more before you post. He wasn't doing well in Arizona already, he was regressing and has not shown signs of breaking through that regression in a new envrioment (the Canucks). He is still a solid Dmen, not a #1, and certainly not worth 7.2mil. Aka, negative value. And the exact reason why this topic proposes to trade him away, because hes a negative value on the team in terms of cap management and age. 

Edited by Drakrami

15 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol really? May be you should think more before you post. He wasn't doing well in Arizona already, he was regressing and has not shown signs of breaking through that regression in a new envrioment (the Canucks). He is still a solid Dmen, not a #1, and certainly not worth 7.2mil. Aka, negative value. And the exact reason why this topic proposes to trade him away, because hes a negative value on the team in terms of cap management and age. 

OEL had 29 points last year with only 10 of those points on the power play.  In comparison, his best season in Arizona where he had 55 points, 27 of those points came on the power play.  So without first unit PP time it is obvious OEL won't get as many points in Vancouver than he did in Arizona.

At this stage in his career I don't think he is a 55 point player, but with first unit PP time I am sure he can still put up 40+ points.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sens fan here saying no thanks. Zub is a wildly under-rated defensemen, and the Sens are hurting on the right side as much as the Canucks are. Not a big Kleven fan. I'd move him in a heatbeat, but just don't see much need for OEL. The Sens are over-flowing with quality prospects. I'd much rather pay up for Chychrun, or Provorov if he becomes available.

Who's your PP point man?

And do you see your PP improving much this year?

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Chabot, an 8 million dollar LD. And yes the PP will be improved drastically with the additions of DeBrincat and Giroux. Stutzle and Giroux are also both excellent on the point.

Ott was 20th in the league and we were 9th. I think a lot of that is the composure and distribution from the point. OEL and Hughes.

I think Cat will get Ott a little bit better but I think the strength of the PP comes from a good mobile dman on point. In a lot of ways I think keeping OEL as PP insurance is also a good idea.