The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Weekes] 4+ Islanders Moves Could be in the Works

AngryElf

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

People really should take a look at necas before wanting him. Poor defensively and a pure perimeter player. Solid play maker but none of this screams the type of player we need. Turning play drivers into more passengers isn't the play to make imo

I don't want him :lol: I want to keep Miller. 

Just spitballing on the recent developments and see a fit. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Just seems like the new pain point with Carolina might shake something loose. Losing Trocheck is a big veteran loss too. Miller now makes a lot of sense for them imo, given that they really didn't make up for the loss of C depth and now Patches going down they lose that veteran presence and his offence.

Yeah, I agree with your take, they're also a team that should probably be looked at as a team with contending dreams out East too given their record over the last few years 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I agree with your take, they're also a team that should probably be looked at as a team with contending dreams out East too given their record over the last few years 

the other consideration is who we fire sale Miller to at the TDL if it comes to that. Does Carolina really want Pittsburg to end up with Miller when you're in that division?

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the other consideration is who we fire sale Miller to at the TDL if it comes to that. Does Carolina really want Pittsburg to end up with Miller when you're in that division?

The highest bidder, whether teams want him without an extension is something said teams will have to consider 

But teams rent players every year, someone would pay, especially with retainment 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is great :lol:

It's legit.  If we could retain on Miller and get Dobson for him 1-1 I'd build a statue to Lou Lam here in Vancouver for his idiocy.

But when has a 22 year old 6 foot 4, 50+ point producing RHD been traded like that in recent memory?  By a team that already TRADED a 6 foot 1 30+ point producing RHD the year prior?

Edited by Warhippy

Miller Pearson 2024 2nd for Dobson Beauvillier, 

Miller resigns 7x8 Dobson signs 6x6.85

Islanders had 11.5 move out 4.25 Cap space=15.75. Miller 5.25 Pearson 3.25 Kadri 7.2=15.7

Canucks Negative 1.0 cap space Move out 8.5=7.5 cap space Ferland ltir 3.5=11 million cap space  Dobson 6.85 Beauvillier 4.25=11 million. Let’s goooo.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think you're bang on correct with this, coconut.

Its going to be a very tough division, maybe the toughest to get a top 3 spot in with Naseum heading to NYI. We might be looking at 5 teams in the metro capable of breaking 100 pts, maybe even 6 capable of high 90's. 

I actually think the one thing thats come up is the Patches injury in Carolina that might make a Miller trade possible, along with Kadri to NYI.

I don't want it, but maybe this?

Miller 2.25 mil retained, for

Necas, Morrow and a 2nd. Pick is to compensate for retention to make the deal cap neutral. 

Keeps Carolina more competitive while Patches recovers. 

Does or doesn't recover in time, Jim!  That is really the question. Miller gives them a guarantee, on that, instead of hoping!

Might be more moving pieces though???????

10 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Does or doesn't recover in time, Jim!  That is really the question. Miller gives them a guarantee, on that, instead of hoping!

Might be more moving pieces though???????

not sure, but just seems like a natural fit right now. So we shall see, I guess we're all waiting for Lou to get off the pot. 

• Cheers 1

The only way we'd get Dobson is trading QHs for him (well or EP)...so is there any stomach for a move like that?   If we traded QHs for Dobson and an unprotected first in next years draft ... it would be awfully tempting wouldn't it?   Rathbone then would have a spot...and we'd finally get that coveted RHD.   

13 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Miller Pearson 2024 2nd for Dobson Beauvillier, 

Miller resigns 7x8 Dobson signs 6x6.85

Islanders had 11.5 move out 4.25 Cap space=15.75. Miller 5.25 Pearson 3.25 Kadri 7.2=15.7

Canucks Negative 1.0 cap space Move out 8.5=7.5 cap space Ferland ltir 3.5=11 million cap space  Dobson 6.85 Beauvillier 4.25=11 million. Let’s goooo.

This is space cadet level dreaming.   Miller is getting us a decent return,  but nothing like this.   If we want Dobson, it starts with QHs ... i'd say EP but can't see why they wouldn't want a defenseman back with Barzal already in the lineup.    Would you do that?   QHs for Dobson straight across? 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is space cadet level dreaming.   Miller is getting us a decent return,  but nothing like this.   If we want Dobson, it starts with QHs ... i'd say EP but can't see why they wouldn't want a defenseman back with Barzal already in the lineup.    Would you do that?   QHs for Dobson straight across? 

I don’t see any where or any level how Dobson is as valuable as Hughes or Petey guys put up 72 points in his career and is -3 we’ll playing for one of best defensive coach’s ever with great shutdown partner. Well hughes put that up in one year. Petey and Miller are also 70 point player on a bad year. Guys put up 99 points don’t grow on trees. You guys need quit undervaluing what miller has done as Canuck. Islanders need and want to improve in scoring there number 1 priority you want 99 point guy pony up.

2 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

I don’t see any where or any level how Dobson is as valuable as Hughes or Petey guys put up 72 points in his career and is -3 we’ll playing for one of best defensive coach’s ever with great shutdown partner. Well hughes put that up in one year. Petey and Miller are also 70 point player on a bad year. Guys put up 99 points don’t grow on trees. You guys need quit undervaluing what miller has done as Canuck. Islanders need and want to improve in scoring there number 1 priority you want 99 point guy pony up.

Dobson is what ... 22?  What did Miller do at 22.   And what will he do from now until he's 32?  Miller will be ... 39/40 by then.  

And guess what.   QHs and Dobson are the same age.   Let's look at this a little more.   QHs is a -24, played 209 game, has 19 goals and 146 assists for 165 points ... plays the left side 1.5/1 league wide ratio natural left side D's, is 5'9.5 and 172lbs ... 

Dobson, same age, plays the right side,  160 games,  17 goals (13 last year), 55 assists and 72 points, 51 last year vs 68 and -3 on his career...plus is 6'4" lol.   

Not saying Dobson is the better player (right now).... but he's a complete package which adds to his value.    And scoring goals is better then secondary assists anyday.   I'd be awfully tempted to do a one for one deal ... if they added their first i'd do the deal.   Again there are 150 LHDs for every 100 RDs in the NHL...to me that evens things up a lot.   Plus, well i like my D's big and mean.   Second season... i'm not sure how long QHs can go without a major injury come the second season ... sure was a target first crack at it.  

As for Miller.   Well sure he's pretty good.  But nobody is going to be shocked if last season was his career one are they. Think maybe he can repeat if EP is on his line often.    If not .,, back to PPG or just over.   Still very decent.   But for how much longer?   If Miller gets us Dobson i will eat my phone and post it on this site for proof.   That's how certain i am it won't happen.   What will he get us... well unless we completely dupe a GM, a grade A roster player. a 20-32ish pick overall, and a roster player back who's cap isn't that good.  What did Hall get again?  And he was a Hart winner, first overall etc etc.    If i had to guess Giroux's  return would be good for us.   And think if we were offered that deal we probably would have taken it.   But we were not. 

Maybe I'm biased still given QHs was the 3rd D i'd have picked in his draft year.   Because again, you can't teach size and he's not Chelios or even Bieksa who was also challenged that way.   Used to be a time when Jovo was just average sized for a D.  

As far as coaches go, Bruce is good too.     NYI entire team struggled last season.   They also overachieved the previous two years. 

Edit: Have no problem admitting when i'm wrong, and with QHs i was wrong.   Glad we have him.  But would trade anyone on this team to make it better. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I genuinely hope that teams just turn the screws on Lou.  He has been a pretty big douche on a number of occasions to players, other GMs, and his own staff.  Lots of reports about him being the biggest a-hole in the league for many years.

No bailing him out to give him cap space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1