The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Robin Lehner to miss entire 2022-23 season

Rate this topic

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Vegas is done for.  Calgary got way worse.  We are at worst second in our division.  It’s time to go all in.  Extend Miller!

Alf that’s not like you. 
Calgary and Vegas weren’t the biggest issues. We aren’t competitive with the Colorado’s or TBs of the league is the issue. 
At what point does Eichel look in the mirror after another year out of the playoffs and say, “maybe I am the issue?”

I suspect too much of a narcissist to ever see it. 

38 minutes ago, mll said:

St Louis no longer has Husso - they would be left without a starter if they trade Binnington.

Hart is Philadelphia's starter.  Fedotov has been forced into military service.

Bobrovsky is 10M for 4 years - Lehner is only out for this season.  

Lehner's agent tweets a picture of Lehner with a sword through him saying "Bobrovsky"? 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Before Lehner's injury they only had 2M to extend Hague and would have had to go with a roster of 21 if he accepted 2M.  Adding Lehner on LTIR gives them now 7M with a roster of 19 and still Hague to sign and in need of a starting goalie.

They can go acquire a guy like James Reimer from SJ.  A $2.25M cap hit, played 48 games last year with better numbers than Lehner on a crappier team.  SJ is carrying 3 goalies right now and are likely gonna lean on Kahkonen much more this coming year anyways. 

Reimer also only has 1 year on his deal before UFA, so perfect. 

So before Lehner went on LTIR, they would extend Hague at $2M.  So $7M for Lehner and Hague.

After Lehner goes on LTIR, they extend Hague at $2M, bring in Reimer at $2.25M, and acquire JT Miller at $2.625M (50% retained).

Now they have a goalie that put up better numbers on a crappier team last year in Reimer.

They also bring in a 99pt top tier centre in his prime.

And they still re-signed Hague as they would have before.

I'm not sure how much more clear I gotta be. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think there's a maximum...

There is nothing that prevents teams from adding every single guy injuried till the playoffs start? I know Tampa rolled with like 100m worth of guys but I thought you could only add X amount during the off season. Like 10m worth. I'm probably out to lunch and just hopeful that's the case lol. Flawwwwed as hell if not 

31 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They can go acquire a guy like James Reimer from SJ.  A $2.25M cap hit, played 48 games last year with better numbers than Lehner on a crappier team.  SJ is carrying 3 goalies right now and are likely gonna lean on Kahkonen much more this coming year anyways. 

Reimer also only has 1 year on his deal before UFA, so perfect. 

So before Lehner went on LTIR, they would extend Hague at $2M.  So $7M for Lehner and Hague.

After Lehner goes on LTIR, they extend Hague at $2M, bring in Reimer at $2.25M, and acquire JT Miller at $2.625M (50% retained).

Now they have a goalie that put up better numbers on a crappier team last year in Reimer.

They also bring in a 99pt top tier centre in his prime.

And they still re-signed Hague as they would have before.

I'm not sure how much more clear I gotta be. 

Cool story bro, but….

1) JT is not going anywhere

2) JT is not going anywhere 

3) JT is not going anywhere 

Happy Regular Season GIF by NHL

See Above Yes GIF by Dash Home Loans

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

They don't need to.  Like I mentioned to mll, they could downgrade slightly on Lehner and save a lot of cap in that area while adding someone like JT Miller or even Nazem Kadri.  To me, the downgrade in goal would be worth the huge upgrade up front given Lehner isn't that spectacular to begin with.

Even with Lehner on IR they can't afford to bring in Kadri.

They don't really have the assets to get someone like Miller, especially at 50% retained.

The likely scenario is they get a goalie worse than Lehner, then use the difference in cap for a marginal upgrade at forward.

Not an advantageous position for Vegas to be in. I'd consider their playoff odds to have gotten worse.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I suppose he's only got a PTO with Florida. They could offer him a contract. 

yep, chuck 1.5 to 2 mil at him and call it a day. They need someone to hold the fort until Brossoit is ready. I can see them running this, um, tandem? this year because they have to. 

13 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Even with Lehner on IR they can't afford to bring in Kadri.

They don't really have the assets to get someone like Miller, especially at 50% retained.

The likely scenario is they get a goalie worse than Lehner, then use the difference in cap for a marginal upgrade at forward.

Not an advantageous position for Vegas to be in. I'd consider their playoff odds to have gotten worse.

Maybe, but a package of Chandler Stephenson, Lukas Cormier/Nic Hague, and a 1st round pick for JT Miller with no retention would have my full attention.

1 hour ago, mll said:

They can use off-season LTIR.  Daly confirmed that it was possible - Toronto used it a few years back.

Btw off-season cap space isn't calculated like in season cap space.  In the off-season every player under contract is back on the NHL roster.  CapFriendly doesn't bother with it as it's too tedious and they are focusing at the opening night roster for cap compliance.  Players on 2-ways are counted on the pro-rata of the days they were on the NHL roster the previous season, 1-way deals are counted in full even if the player is expected to be in the AHL etc.  

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

They could go with Holtby for 12 months and make a trade for a prospect in goal as well? 

I think Holtby's injured for most of the year?