The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you consider signing P.K. Subban if...

If he was willing to take 1 - 2 years for around 1.5 - 2 million per season, would you consider signing him for RD?

Just a Yes or No and discuss.

Personally, for me, it's a Yes as it would give us other options on the right side. I think he would work well with OEL.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

yes RHD are hard to come by and he would fill that spot. 1 year deal. As it stands though Canucks are over the cap so a few players need to be offloaded before anything can realistically happen. So we will have to wait and see what happens in the rest of the un-eventful offseason :lol:

• Like 1

Although PK's offensive game seems to have tanked, he can still play the defensive game and brings speed

and physicality. 

"He was definitely reliable on defense and was able to work well on each pairing he played with, no matter who that was. His 19 points were one more than what he totaled last season, but we should be seeing more from a defenseman who has so much experience and who we know can put up impressive seasons. Subban adds personality and drive to this team, and that is always displayed, and it especially helped in this season that was much different than most. He was able to keep the team on their feet while trying to stay positive as their season went downhill as games went on."

https://thehockeywriters.com/devils-2021-21-report-cards-defensemen/

Before anyone goes on about his +/- while playing for the Devils, have a look at the Hamilton and Severson #s.

Pretty tough slogging for dmen playing on a team that has 0 defensive coverage.

I doubt he'll be joining the Canucks though...looks like the Coilers are wanting both Subban and Kessel:towel:

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I wouldn't mind having him here as a stop-gap measure, but I think the real question is: does he want to be here?  Especially given how we dicked around with his brother.  Sure, he never really stuck as an NHL player, but I think we are somewhat complicit in that we didn't really develop him either.

Rumour has it he waved his NTC to come here in 2016, of course things were looking good for Jordan at that point, but I don't know how much of  role that would really play, guess you never know.

Sign Jordan to a AHL deal if it's a deal breaker lol

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev
  • Cheers 1

That would be a great bottom pairing addition with the ability to move up the roster in case of injuries.

Rathbone having a veteran guy who played at such a high level with him would be pretty interesting if the price was right.  Subban's play has tanked from being an elite Norris calibre player, but that doesn't mean he is trash.

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Myers
Rathbone-Subban
Dermott-Poolman
Burroughs

That is a ton of depth, but realistically 1-2 of those guys has to move out if Rathbone sticks on the club and Poolman is recovered.  That could be a training camp decision though based on who actually earns a spot.  

I would far rather actually upgrade our top 4... but no sign of that happening as of now, so trying to cobble together different options to see if there can be some chemistry isn't the worst idea.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Because as a player, PK is done.  

Well at least PK can say he was alive while Alf was still on TV, he may have only been one but he was around.

None the less, despite may lame attempt at humor, i agree, he is probably done.

I would consider signing PK if he took back his comments about that poor kid that had his career burried/cancelled because of the tough man pose that was misconstrued as impersonating a gorilla.  

PK was wrong, the kid got cancelled as a result, and there was no apology or words to make up the situation.  PK's spineless. 

14 hours ago, Provost said:

That would be a great bottom pairing addition with the ability to move up the roster in case of injuries.

Rathbone having a veteran guy who played at such a high level with him would be pretty interesting if the price was right.  Subban's play has tanked from being an elite Norris calibre player, but that doesn't mean he is trash.

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Myers
Rathbone-Subban
Dermott-Poolman
Burroughs

That is a ton of depth, but realistically 1-2 of those guys has to move out if Rathbone sticks on the club and Poolman is recovered.  That could be a training camp decision though based on who actually earns a spot.  

I would far rather actually upgrade our top 4... but no sign of that happening as of now, so trying to cobble together different options to see if there can be some chemistry isn't the worst idea.

I personally think the Canucks should extend Burroughs for another year to reduce the risk of losing him on waivers if Poolman is recovered. Subban would definitely be an upgrade, and having Burroughs as extra depth, even if he starts the year in Abby, would be ideal. There's no way KB would demand more than 900k and depth players are less likely to be claimed if there's term attached.

• Upvote 1

I personally believe PK can still play in this league. No, he's absolutely not the player he used to be nor worth the salary, but he still has skills which could be useful on a team.

I'm just not sure that's our team. If we bring in another RD, I would expect it is a guy who we feel can play with Hughes. PK doesn't have the elite defensive instincts that I feel we need for that partner. In a pinch, we can play Hughes with Schenn which wasn't really that bad of a pairing. No it isn't ideal, but then, I don't think PK would be either, so....