The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Hoglander to Jets

So this came from a comment that @Googlie made on another thread and I proposed a Hoglander for Logan Stanley trade

This isn’t fantasy hockey it helps both teams.

capsize it’s neutral both are rfa at the same time as well. 

so why would the jets do this. 

They have quite a few defence and while Stanley is a favourite he could do with more ice time than he is getting. What the jets really need is to sort their middle 6 wingers.

they have failed to get prospects into this area and so Hoglander is both young and proven at the middle 6 level

And gives them both hustle, a few goals and reasonable defensive responsibility. All for cheap

why doea Vancouver do this

while LS is a left d he can play on the right, and he is a stay at home D, we have plenty that can go forward but he fills the need of a no nonsense physical D.

the idea of him and chaos giraffe on at the same time would make even the grittiest of forwards think twice 

discuss 

28 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

We already have a logjam of bottom pair or #7 quality d-men, Stanely doesn't really move the needle

He wouldn’t be a 7th D, he has room to improve and is developing well, I think he will be a solid top 4 D in a couple of years.

we also have a logjam of wingers so why not make a trade to improve our D 

Absolutely not.  Hoagie has such a strong upside.  His 2 way ceiling is fantastic.  Not a young player I would give up in all.  It would be like trading Podz for me which is no-no.  By year 3-4 I think you can make a decision whether to move on, but right now no.

Stanley is a bottom pairing defender.  Tough but your not gonna get much else. So its not like there is a need/desperation to trade for him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Absolutely not.  Hoagie has such a strong upside.  His 2 way ceiling is fantastic.  Not a young player I would give up in all.  It would be like trading Podz for me which is no-no.  By year 3-4 I think you can make a decision whether to move on, but right now no.

Stanley is a bottom pairing defender.  Tough but your not gonna get much else. So its not like there is a need/desperation to trade for him.

But where does hogz fit in our lineup he’s been pushed down and BB isn’t a fan 

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Fair question- definitely he has to earn that spot/improve from last year.

When people say BB doesnt like Hoagie tho I think its a bit unfair/perhaps a misinterpretation.  I think he sees/wants Hoagie to improve and he’s bern vocal about that.  He also say Hoagie could maybe score 40 goals at some point in his career.  I dont know for sure if he was speaking to NH’s upside or just leaving the door open, but if he meant it that would be some belief in the kid too.

3.70 giveaways per 60 mins played last year (56 in 58 games), EV CF of 47.6 despite 56.7% ozone starts, 1 goal despite his 'shot' being one of his attributes, these are all stats that are buoyed by a decent start when Nate Schmidt carried the pairing. Bad at zone exits (part of the league's worst team in 2021, haven't seen a ranking for 2022). Low hockey IQ. Very tall which overhyped him in .jr is my opinion. Would rather ice Kyle Burroughs nevermind keeping Nils Hoglander 

image.thumb.png.3a8bbe63b39399c9245c3b7af0fbaf2a.png

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev

2 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.  It is known that Hoglander was hurt to some degree for much of the season.  If Boudreau is a professional, he will be taking this into account and keeping an open mind.

Hoglander is only 21 years old great speed and skilled. Every team wants more speed I would not be moving a young prospect?

Unless it equal value RD man same age group that has good upside and should be # 5 D man now with future of being #3 or #4 Dman

5 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

3.70 giveaways per 60 mins played last year (56 in 58 games), EV CF of 47.6 despite 56.7% ozone starts, 1 goal despite his 'shot' being one of his attributes, these are all stats that are buoyed by a decent start when Nate Schmidt carried the pairing. Bad at zone exits (part of the league's worst team in 2021, haven't seen a ranking for 2022). Low hockey IQ. Very tall which overhyped him in .jr is my opinion. Would rather ice Kyle Burroughs nevermind keeping Nils Hoglander 

image.thumb.png.3a8bbe63b39399c9245c3b7af0fbaf2a.png

Thanks for sharing this; had no idea that his play didn't match up with the "shutdown" profile of defender he appeared to be.
Could Samberg be a better fit?  6'3" 190 lbs., also LHD
The two-time NCAA champion at the University of Minnesota-Duluth has the kind of projectable size NHL teams like, plus he skates well and has a good shot. He is capable of contributing on the power play and in a shutdown role on the penalty kill. He has an active stick, which helps him break up plays, and his decision-making skills are improving.

Then hopefully we can move Rathbone (if he loses his roster spot) for an RHD or package him and Poolman to VGK for Roy (if they're cap strapped and need to buy another contract for LTIR).

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Thanks for sharing this; had no idea that his play didn't match up with the "shutdown" profile of defender he appeared to be.
Could Samberg be a better fit?  6'3" 190 lbs., also LHD
The two-time NCAA champion at the University of Minnesota-Duluth has the kind of projectable size NHL teams like, plus he skates well and has a good shot. He is capable of contributing on the power play and in a shutdown role on the penalty kill. He has an active stick, which helps him break up plays, and his decision-making skills are improving.

Then hopefully we can move Rathbone (if he loses his roster spot) for an RHD or package him and Poolman to VGK for Roy (if they're cap strapped and need to buy another contract for LTIR).

I don't know much about Samberg tbh.

Personally, I'm very excited for Rathbone to be on the 3rd pairing. I think he's poised to be a contributor on the team next year after he seemed to refine all the right things in Abby last year. If the Canucks land de Haan as a partner for him, I think that would be a shrewd bottom pairing that can play all three zones - I'm still kind of dreaming of an o-zone oriented deployment bottom pairing of Rathbone - Subban but I know it's more fantasy than anything.

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

He wouldn’t be a 7th D, he has room to improve and is developing well, I think he will be a solid top 4 D in a couple of years.

we also have a logjam of wingers so why not make a trade to improve our D 

Rather Burr than Stanley. Wouldn't give up Hoglander for him. You make it sound like he's 20 dude is 24 he's pretty much peaked.

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Enough with the Hoglander proposals, people. Give the kid another chance to prove himself before we move him for pennies on the dollar.

There is one scenario where id want to move Hoglander, and that's as part of a package to a team to acquire a top four D before the season starts, even if it's a rental deal.   Severson would be a nice target for us.    NJ likely moves on from him ... same way we likely move on from Miller.   They've got a glut of young defenseman in the wings waiting for a shot, and some will make the team (Luke Hughes) this year.     Hamilton has a lock on their top pairing.   

Our forward group is one of the deepest in the league right now.   Have a hard time finding a team we've iced other then the ones from the 90's (early mostly), with this much top 9 material.   When Hogs and 2-3 other guys could be your 13th man ... well that says something.    Not only do we have 3 centers to work around, we've also got a quite a few that can play both wings, or are a W/C... Garland plays both wings .. EP, Miller, Dickie ... and i'm going to add Podz as a possible candidate to try on C as well.    Lazar.    We are loaded.   For sure we can afford to lose one or two of these guys.    IF we start the season with another top four D... we might be the favourite to win the division going in which says a lot. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There is one scenario where id want to move Hoglander, and that's as part of a package to a team to acquire a top four D before the season starts, even if it's a rental deal.   Severson would be a nice target for us.    NJ likely moves on from him ... same way we likely move on from Miller.   They've got a glut of young defenseman in the wings waiting for a shot, and some will make the team (Luke Hughes) this year.     Hamilton has a lock on their top pairing.   

Our forward group is one of the deepest in the league right now.   Have a hard time finding a team we've iced other then the ones from the 90's (early mostly), with this much top 9 material.   When Hogs and 2-3 other guys could be your 13th man ... well that says something.    Not only do we have 3 centers to work around, we've also got a quite a few that can play both wings, or are a W/C... Garland plays both wings .. EP, Miller, Dickie ... and i'm going to add Podz as a possible candidate to try on C as well.    Lazar.    We are loaded.   For sure we can afford to lose one or two of these guys.    IF we start the season with another top four D... we might be the favourite to win the division going in which says a lot. 

Severson would be a neat addition, just don't see how it happens unless it is part of a Miller swap, NJ is capped out as well. Not sure he's what we'd want with Hughes, maybe OEL tho?

I'd be fine with a Garland for Severson swap tho, but not sure NJ wants more 'lil guys.