The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Analyzing and ranking how the Canucks’ defence currently stacks up against the rest of the Pacific Division

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

14 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Tanev is better than both

I wouldn't say he's better than both, but certainly more valuable than both. It is subjective though. I think you and I are more biased towards defenseman being great defensively. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Suggesting the Canuck's defense is 6th in the Pacific is ludicrous. I'd say third now. If we were to land, or have one of our own grow into, a quality righty,

maybe higher. So much is based on how teams are competing and how a coach deploys his defensive soldiers. Forwards doing their part defensively alters 

the overall statistics as well. 

Agreed. We also got better on the backend by letting go of Hunt, meaning Rathbone (a bluechip prospect) is ready to make the leap. Our defense is even better than last year, when we were top 3 in the league in defense 5on5... How that's not top 3 in the weakest division in the league is beyond me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Agreed. We also got better on the backend by letting go of Hunt, meaning Rathbone (a bluechip prospect) is ready to make the leap. Our defense is even better than last year, when we were top 3 in the league in defense 5on5... How that's not top 3 in the weakest division in the league is beyond me.

Hunt was actually pretty solid for us. Didn't mind him as a 7th dman. Excited for Rathbone though and happy that we opened up a path forward for him.  

Our defense is league average, and probably 3rd or 4th best in the Pacific.  

Clowns like Thomas Drance that call it bottom 5 in the league clearly are biased or stubborn. 

38 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hunt was actually pretty solid for us. Didn't mind him as a 7th dman. Excited for Rathbone though and happy that we opened up a path forward for him.  

Our defense is league average, and probably 3rd or 4th best in the Pacific.  

Clowns like Thomas Drance that call it bottom 5 in the league clearly are biased or stubborn. 

Weren't Hunt's defensive stats abysmal? Like not regular 7th dman abysmal, but even worse than that?

Let's hope the d group can play like they're 3rd best in the division and we'll be in the playoffs. 

I agree with the sentiment that a shutdown LHD is a good solution but we don't know yet if Hughes - OEL will even be paired together, though I also hope they do.

Read somewhere today that Poolman will be out all season, does anyone know if this is true?  Would give us even more flexibility if so.

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Weren't Hunt's defensive stats abysmal? Like not regular 7th dman abysmal, but even worse than that?

Hunt's play in his own zone was nowhere close to acceptable.  There was no legitimate reason for him to be allowed to play a single shift in the NHL last year.  He's proven himself to be worse than useless and we are a better team without him.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:37 AM, iinatcc said:

Maybe not the worst but it's the contract that is hurting the Canucks' contract efficiency as written in The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3467384/2022/08/03/nhl-contract-rankings/

OEL has the worst contract value in the team next to, no surprise, Myers. 

The article values OEL should have an AAV of just over 4 million and Myers just over 2 Million. Which basically makes OEL a #4 and #5 and Myers a #5 and #6 defensemen which many in the media and the nhl already precieve. 

However if we are talking bout this coming season then yes I suppose OEL is still ok and does help the defense. But the problem isn't so much what happens this coming season but in the next few seasons when Allvin has to resign players but can't since OEL is being overpaid by $4 Million per year.

As for the ranking of defense of the Pacific division Sportsnet 650 already did that recently.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/hour-2-ranking-the-pacific-division-defensive-units/

Calgary and Vegas were set to #1 and #2 while Vancouver was, depending on was being asked, ranked #5 and #6 with LA, Edmonton, and Anaheim (for the one who picked Canucks are #6) ahead of them.

Myers at 2 million? WTF? How can this be taken seriously?

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Myers at 2 million? WTF? How can this be taken seriously?

Analytic based projections always need to be taken with a grain of salt imo.

OEL and Myers might be overpaid but they played a defensive role and end of the day our team wad top 3 5on5 with those guys eating tons of minutes. We watched them every game and us not making the playoffs was on our 24th ranked offense not our 8th overall D (top3 5on5)

If we get the offensive we saw when the entire team besides JT wasn't sucking, we are a threat.

I get that it shouldn't have worked but it did. We should be happy that our d performed the way they did instead of assuming they will suck. A full year of Rathbone and Dermott should help the bottom pair.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, Quantum said:

I'd make the argument that MacKenzie Weegar is the Calgary Flames best defenseman not Noah Hanifin. Weegar is an established #2 NHL defenseman who has the chance to be the #1 guy in Calgary.

The games I saw 20+ he seems to be getting overrated big time. The panthers averaged 4+ goals a game and that skews things. Looking at games where they didn't a lot more of their Ds mistakes got exposed. Not just Weeger but Eckblad is another guy that disappeared when games became all about defense.

The playoffs were a great example.

14 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Analytic based projections always need to be taken with a grain of salt imo.

OEL and Myers might be overpaid but they played a defensive role and end of the day our team wad top 3 5on5 with those guys eating tons of minutes. We watched them every game and us not making the playoffs was on our 24th ranked offense not our 8th overall D (top3 5on5)

If we get the offensive we saw when the entire team besides JT wasn't sucking, we are a threat.

I get that it shouldn't have worked but it did. We should be happy that our d performed the way they did instead of assuming they will suck. A full year of Rathbone and Dermott should help the bottom pair.

Gonna need a few shots of tequila with that salt to follow those analytics. 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:19 AM, Muttley said:

Suggesting the Canuck's defense is 6th in the Pacific is ludicrous. I'd say third now. If we were to land, or have one of our own grow into, a quality righty,

maybe higher. So much is based on how teams are competing and how a coach deploys his defensive soldiers. Forwards doing their part defensively alters 

the overall statistics as well. 

I just dont get all the hate the canucks defence gets

the team was in the top 5 for 5v5 goals against while not being outshot by a margin wide enough to say Demko stole all the games for us.

yes Demko is a fantastic goalie and has the ability to steal games, good teams usually have this in a goalie.

Im really excited this year to see Poolman and what we have in Rathbone. Im hoping Rathbone can be traded for a defensive dman who can penalty kill and plays with grit and move up and down the line-up

• Upvote 1