The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks announce Dr. Bill Regan named head team physician

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Details:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that Dr. Bill Regan has been named Head Team Physician, while Dr. Rob Drapala and Dr. Michael Orenstein have also joined the organization as Team Physicians.

Dr. Regan has been a member of the Canucks medical staff for more than 20 years as a Team Physician. In his new role, Dr. Regan will serve as the team's primary full-time doctor. In addition to his work with the Vancouver Canucks, Dr. Regan has served as an Associate Professor and Head of the Division of Arthroscopy at the University of British Columbia (UBC) since 1996.

He was first appointed to the UBC Department of Orthopedics in 1990 after joining the university from the University of Western Ontario. Dr. Regan's academic background includes a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Toronto and an undergraduate degree from Bowdin College in Maine, USA.

Dr. Drapala is a primary care sports medicine physician, currently working as a Clinical Instructor, Division of Sport Medicine at UBC's Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic. He received his undergraduate degree from Simon Fraser University prior to completing a Doctor of Medicine and Family Practice Residency at UBC. His professional highlights include serving as Chief Medical Officer at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championships and UBC Varsity Athletics, as well as Lead Physician at the Vancouver Whitecaps Academy.

Dr. Orenstein is a fellowship trained Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician, serving at UBC as Clinical Instructor in the Department of Family Practice. He completed his undergraduate degree, medical school and a Family Medicine Residency at McGill University in Montreal, before moving to Vancouver to complete the Sport and Exercise Medicine Fellowship at UBC. His professional experience has included providing coverage at the IIHF World Junior Championships, Ironman Whistler, and UBC Varsity Athletics.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/dr-bill-regan-named-head-team-physician/c-335298852

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

That Dr. Orenstein sounds like an excellent choice to have on staff. That IHF World Junior Championships connection is great.

I have been treated by Michael Orenstein and, while my experience doesn't shed much light on how will perform with the Canucks, I can say that he seems like a great guy. In  particular, he was happy to talk  about technical medical details and treats patients as intelligent adults, which I think is important with hockey players. And obviously all three guys are at the forefront of sports medicine research.  

More generally, this is another step in try to build a first-class organization after years of atrophy under Benning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have been treated by Michael Orenstein and, while my experience doesn't shed much light on how will perform with the Canucks, I can say that he seems like a great guy. In  particular, he was happy to talk  about technical medical details and treats patients as intelligent adults, which I think is important with hockey players. And obviously all three guys are at the forefront of sports medicine research.  

More generally, this is another step in try to build a first-class organization after years of atrophy under Benning. 

Whoa there. Where is this coming from?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Who was it before and were they part of the house cleaning?

Dr. Jim Bovard was the previous head team physician. He was brought in under Benning in 2016. Not sure whether he’s just moving on or he was fired.

Bovard is currently the Chief Medical Officer for the Whitecaps (a job he also held while he was working for the Canucks) and works with Skate Canada, the Canadian Sailing Team, and SportMedBC, as well as operating his own practice in North Van (Bovard Sport and Family Medicine).

I think Dr. Bill Regan was actually the Canucks’ head doctor previously, before Dr. Bovard came on board. One of his UBC website bios even says he was Vancouver’s “head team physician” for the past 20 years. And Regan certainly has a long history with the organization, having served as a team surgeon to the Canucks since at least 1999.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrects that weren’t correct

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Details:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that Dr. Bill Regan has been named Head Team Physician, while Dr. Rob Drapala and Dr. Michael Orenstein have also joined the organization as Team Physicians.

Dr. Regan has been a member of the Canucks medical staff for more than 20 years as a Team Physician. In his new role, Dr. Regan will serve as the team's primary full-time doctor. In addition to his work with the Vancouver Canucks, Dr. Regan has served as an Associate Professor and Head of the Division of Arthroscopy at the University of British Columbia (UBC) since 1996.

He was first appointed to the UBC Department of Orthopedics in 1990 after joining the university from the University of Western Ontario. Dr. Regan's academic background includes a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Toronto and an undergraduate degree from Bowdin College in Maine, USA.

Dr. Drapala is a primary care sports medicine physician, currently working as a Clinical Instructor, Division of Sport Medicine at UBC's Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic. He received his undergraduate degree from Simon Fraser University prior to completing a Doctor of Medicine and Family Practice Residency at UBC. His professional highlights include serving as Chief Medical Officer at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championships and UBC Varsity Athletics, as well as Lead Physician at the Vancouver Whitecaps Academy.

Dr. Orenstein is a fellowship trained Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician, serving at UBC as Clinical Instructor in the Department of Family Practice. He completed his undergraduate degree, medical school and a Family Medicine Residency at McGill University in Montreal, before moving to Vancouver to complete the Sport and Exercise Medicine Fellowship at UBC. His professional experience has included providing coverage at the IIHF World Junior Championships, Ironman Whistler, and UBC Varsity Athletics.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/dr-bill-regan-named-head-team-physician/c-335298852

Let's hope we don't need him much, unlike the rest of this teams injury history over the years, would be a nice change! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

And even goalies didn't have masks for awhile either until Gump Worsely, I think that's how it's spelled but I think he was one of the first to don a mask. 

The bench brawls were something to see, I still have Bobby Clark's toothless-ish grin  memory etched in my mind. The guy was a trooper, reminds me of Gino.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

And even goalies didn't have masks for awhile either until Gump Worsely, I think that's how it's spelled but I think he was one of the first to don a mask. 

The bench brawls were something to see, I still have Bobby Clark's toothless-ish grin  memory etched in my mind. The guy was a trooper, reminds me of Gino.. 

it sure was a different world....

Mega respect to all the old timers... different breed altogther...

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Clint Benedict of the Montreal Maroons wore a leather mask Feb 20, 1930, when a shot from Howie Morentz broke his nose.

Jacques Plante got rid of the stigma.

https://thehockeywriters.com/jacques-plante-the-man-in-the-fiberglass-mask/