The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blackhawks sign Jack Johnson

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I feel ya. I recently had to quit my job and dump my girlfriend because feeling empathy for others was just taking up so much of my time. It's definitely not for everyone. Good luck on the Path.

Oh, the sarcastic irony. 

You’re funny. I guess I’m not entitled to my own opinions or emotions unless it’s dictated by your standards. Thanks for the words of wisdom but I’ll defer to being respecting and proud of someone who made it through a major mishap, rather than feeing sorry for him because his parents are crap.

“Johnson listed real estate in California ($1.65 million) and Michigan ($550,000), two 2007 BMW X5s, a 2012 BMW and a 2011 Ferrari as assets in a Dec. 31, 2014, financial balance sheet.“

Some of what he lost and he’s since earned it all back and learned a hard lesson in life. Most other folks don’t get to recover the same way. 

Perhaps you should go take a long, observant walk in the DTES, and see what betrayal by a parent can result in. Better yet, translate your keyboard empathy to action and help some people who can’t help themselves. That’s where your energy could be used better, rather than trying to shame me for simply choosing to appreciate someone’s success rather than focus on their hardships. And you’re trying to chastise for that?!

Edited by RWJC

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

Yeah I do know that. I don’t feel sorry for him, but have no issue with other people conveying that. Am I supposed to feel compassion for someone who made a bad decision, also (along with their trash parents) spent their money freely and excessively, and realized their mistake, endured, persevered, maintained success as a pro athlete, won a championship, and is still gainfully employed grossing almost a million dollars a year this coming season for playing a sport…all of this because you think I should?

Am I also supposed to feel empathy for someone who admittedly doesn’t want sympathy from others and admits his own mistake/responsibility?

No, I don’t think I am required to.

I respect him and commend him.

I don’t feel empathy for someone who obviously is more capable of taking care of themselves than I can of them. 
does that sound fair to you?

I reserve my sympathy/empathies for the things prevalent in my life that I believe require my attention and involvement.
I run my own private animal rescue/rehab op. I have friends and their family currently under attack in the Ukraine whom I am supporting. That’s the kind of thing that receives my empathy.

But it's not merely just making a bad decision. How on earth do you think your own family/parents will scam you that much. I mean if he asked his cousin/uncle to manage it, I will kind of understand. But your own parents..that's more towards the parents than him making a bad decision.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

But it's not merely just making a bad decision. How on earth do you think your own family/parents will scam you that much. I mean if he asked his cousin/uncle to manage it, I will kind of understand. But your own parents..that's more towards the parents than him making a bad decision.

Guess we just come from different perspectives. 

From mine, I competed internationally as a kickboxer and in MMA, and a large percentage of the people I trained and became close with with came from broken homes, absentee parents or were adopted. Almost all got into the sport because they were abused or neglected or betrayed in varying degrees or capacity at a very early age.

None were wealthy or privileged and very few had the emotional support or financial resources or commitment from others that they could have used (aside from that of their peers) and instead relied on themselves to find purpose and improve their lives.  I can't actively recall any one of them requiring someone else's pity as a crutch, and I think that likely served them well. So, experiencing that and other circumstance and/or events (significant volunteer work) throughout my own life has simply adapted with how I view/respect the human plight and spirit.

Yeah it was sh1tty what his parents did in betraying him. Inexcusable. 

On the flip side, he was educated by the NHL in their protocol for young players that advises them on things like financial responsibility.

He chose against best advice. He also dumped an agent who has an incredible reputation at protecting their clients from exactly those kinds of situations.

Bad decisions, and he paid the price for them.

Did it end up with JJ unable to compete in the sport he's dedicated his career to? No

Has it hindered his ability to still bring in a very good paycheque? No

Did he just reach the pinnacle achievement in his sport? Yes

Has he taken it on the chin, accepted what happened and is looking to the future? For sure.

In my eyes, he's still a winner and a success despite the setback, and that's what matters as the outcome.

I commend him for his stance. I'd rather have someone's respect than their pity, if that makes sense, so no i don't feel sorry for him.

I think he learned a hard lesson that probably still hurts, but he quite fortunately landed on two feet in the aftermath.

We all face challenges in life, some incredibly tragic. 
There are far worse things than a multi-millionaire pro athlete having to declare bankruptcy to purge, reset and and then earn his way back, imho.

Again, just my perspective. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

This thread might have the weirdest debate I ever seen. Some very weird hills that people are prepared to die on. Dog days of summer or just a perfect storm for weirdos to debate one of the dumbest debates I ever seen? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!

image.gif.3f3e4010e839b315bf854d9ffa82c2d7.gif

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Guess we just come from different perspectives. 

From mine, I competed internationally as a kickboxer and in MMA, and a large percentage of the people I trained and became close with with came from broken homes, absentee parents or were adopted. Almost all got into the sport because they were abused or neglected or betrayed in varying degrees or capacity at a very early age.

None were wealthy or privileged and very few had the emotional support or financial resources or commitment from others that they could have used (aside from that of their peers) and instead relied on themselves to find purpose and improve their lives.  I can't actively recall any one of them requiring someone else's pity as a crutch, and I think that likely served them well. So, experiencing that and other circumstance and/or events (significant volunteer work) throughout my own life has simply adapted with how I view/respect the human plight and spirit.

Yeah it was sh1tty what his parents did in betraying him. Inexcusable. 

On the flip side, he was educated by the NHL in their protocol for young players that advises them on things like financial responsibility.

He chose against best advice. He also dumped an agent who has an incredible reputation at protecting their clients from exactly those kinds of situations.

Bad decisions, and he paid the price for them.

Did it end up with JJ unable to compete in the sport he's dedicated his career to? No

Has it hindered his ability to still bring in a very good paycheque? No

Did he just reach the pinnacle achievement in his sport? Yes no 

Has he taken it on the chin, accepted what happened and is looking to the future? For sure.

In my eyes, he's still a winner and a success despite the setback, and that's what matters as the outcome.

I commend him for his stance. I'd rather have someone's respect than their pity, if that makes sense, so no i don't feel sorry for him.

I think he learned a hard lesson that probably still hurts, but he quite fortunately landed on two feet in the aftermath.

We all face challenges in life, some incredibly tragic. 
There are far worse things than a multi-millionaire pro athlete having to declare bankruptcy to purge, reset and and then earn his way back, imho.

Again, just my perspective. 

I haven't got the impression any posters you have engaged with pity Jack.

They have empathized with him about the fact that his parents betrayed him.

Empathy is a completely different emotion from pity.

It doesn't matter if one is rich or poor, to be betrayed by ones parents is shitty to say the least. 

When things are shitty in my life I tell myself that billions of other people would trade places with me in a heartbeat.

This doesn't make my pain less or theirs more, it just puts perspective on my pain. 

Personally I don't have a limit on the empathy I have for others, I feel for Jack just like I feel for the kids you mentioned in your post.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I haven't got the impression any posters you have engaged with pity Jack.

They have empathized with him about the fact that his parents betrayed him.

Empathy is a completely different emotion from pity.

It doesn't matter if one is rich or poor, to be betrayed by ones parents is shitty to say the least. 

When things are shitty in my life I tell myself that billions of other people would trade places with me in a heartbeat.

This doesn't make my pain less or theirs more, it just puts perspective on my pain. 

Personally I don't have a limit on the empathy I have for others, I feel for Jack just like I feel for the kids you mentioned in your post.

That’s kind and sincere kudos to you. 

Like you, I just shared my POV, but was challenged on it.  Now I’m just explaining it for those inclined to measure it up while they predicate their assumptions. 

And I’m not confusing empathy with pity or sympathy. Apologies if what I wrote came out that way. However anyone chooses to relate to JJ’s situation is potentially born out of their own personal experiences/views and is totally valid. 

People choose to empathize with specific criteria. By his own admission  though media, he is moving forward and wants the focus to be on the present. In this case, I empathize with JJ wanting to move forward from a difficult past. Thats just as valid as those who choose to empathize with the betrayal.

Fair enough?

• Cheers 2